Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky 97 Pikeville College 66
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pikeville- 66
Kentucky- 97

Freshman point guard Brandon Knight scored 22 points and Darius Miller added 21 points and nine rebounds as No. 11 Kentucky cruised past Pikeville 97-66 in an exhibition game on Monday night.

Knight, the latest in a long line of high-profile point guards recruited by coach John Calipari, added seven rebounds and had little trouble getting to the lane while operating Kentucky's dribble-drive offense.

DeAndre Liggins had 18 points and Doron Lamb added 16 as Kentucky pulled away in the second half.

Vance Cooksey led Pikeville, an NAIA program, with 15 points, but the Bears shot just 32 percent from the field and were outrebounded 52-35.

The Wildcats host Dillard in another exhibition on Friday then open the season on Nov. 12 against East Tennessee State.
Pros And Cons People?

We look really small IMO.
Def. room for improvement, but free throws is a must!
Shew UK has a ton of work to do. Very sloppy game. But it's early and these guys haven't played together much.
I'd say by the time we start playing some real teams, Vargas will be starting. With Liggins starting imo well be to small to defend the paint and struggle to rebound. Hopefully Enes gets eligible, problem solved.
Aslan Wrote:Shew UK has a ton of work to do. Very sloppy game. But it's early and these guys haven't played together much.
I'd say by the time we start playing some real teams, Vargas will be starting. With Liggins starting imo well be to small to defend the paint and struggle to rebound. Hopefully Enes gets eligible, problem solved.

:Thumbs:
Maybe Pikeville is just really good this year?
Glad to see some familiar faces getting playing time for Pikeville in this one!

Ryan Whitaker(Bell Co.) went 1-1 on 3 pointers, 2-2 FT, 5pts and 2rebs in 15 minutes of play.

Tyler Newsome(Shelby Valley) went 0-2 FG while getting 5 minutes of action.

Josh Whitaker(Hazard) went 0-1 FG while getting 3 minutes of action.

Landon Slone(Paintsville) went 1-3 on 3 pointers, 1-2 on free throws, giving him 4pts along with 1reb and 1ast in 16 minutes of action.

Trevor Setty(Mason Co.) went 3-11 FG, 1-6 3ptFG, getting 7pts, 4rebs, and 1ast with 25 minutes of action.

Justin Hicks(Hazard) went 2-2 FT, 2pts, 1reb, and 2asts in 23 minutes of action.
Offense is obviously much further ahead of the defense. Pikeville's starting PG got to the basket whenever he wanted and we didn't have the size to swat those layups away either. We definatily need Enes to get eligible if we want to make a run at a Final Four.

Knight is good, real good. Terrence Jones had his moments, but was non-existent at times, as was Doron Lamb. Neither Harrellson or Vargas did anything special, but both play hard. Miller & Liggins played hard and made plays as they should being the leaders of the team. Jon Hood was non-existent. Seems like he doesn't let the game come to him and he tries to force things. Totally forgot Poole was even on the team until he made a good defensive play late in the second half.

Overall, we have a good team. Not nearly as good as last seasons team, but I think this team is more of a college basketball type team, rather than a bunch of pro's playing college ball. We aren't going to be able to do much in the post this season. Our best post player right now is our swing man, Darius Miller and he's only 6'7. So he, Vargas, and Harrellson may have good games against the weaker teams post players, but they'll struggle against the likes of our non mid-major competition. Other than that my only concern is our depth, because we don't have much production coming off the bench.

Pikeville has a pretty good team loaded with shooters. They should be able make some noise in the Mid-South & NAIA.
Well, I didn't see anyone score 37 for Pikeville.. And I definitley didn't see them score on Polson period hahaha...

I agree with Aslan, UK has a crap ton of work to do..
As the season progresses, the cats will be better..
Enes Kanter needs released.. If we had him we would be a strong force..

Darius Miller with 21 points.. get used to that.. Smile
All I can say is Free Enes!
leecoukfan Wrote:Glad to see some familiar faces getting playing time for Pikeville in this one!

Ryan Whitaker(Bell Co.) went 1-1 on 3 pointers, 2-2 FT, 5pts and 2rebs in 15 minutes of play.

Landon Slone(Paintsville) went 1-3 on 3 pointers, 1-2 on free throws, giving him 4pts along with 1reb and 1ast in 16 minutes of action.

Trevor Setty(Mason Co.) went 3-11 FG, 1-6 3ptFG, getting 7pts, 4rebs, and 1ast with 25 minutes of action.

Justin Hicks(Hazard) went 2-2 FT, 2pts, 1reb, and 2asts in 23 minutes of action.

You left off Chris Puckett of Jenkins.
Ballers Wrote:Well, I didn't see anyone score 37 for Pikeville.. And I definitley didn't see them score on Polson period hahaha...

I agree with Aslan, UK has a crap ton of work to do..
As the season progresses, the cats will be better..
Enes Kanter needs released.. If we had him we would be a strong force..

Darius Miller with 21 points.. get used to that.. Smile

Watch out everyone.
When it comes to Canadian teams and the Mountain All-Stars of the past 4 years.....
Darius is comin for ya Wink
^ lol.. hey man so far he is averaging about 17-18 a game from what I see...
I calls em' as I sees em'.
^ I do too...
he has an NBA body
sparks of NBA talent here and there
but he disappears when his team needs it

I hope he proves me wrong!
#23 for Pikeville was some what impressive..
You could tell he was the nuts and bolts of the team..

Vargas could be a Demarcus Cousins type of player, maybe he will shine out in the regular season..
Terrence Jones really needs to step his game up.. We can do without the 3 ball from him.. He needs to be inside ripping boards down, and tipping dunks in.
Ballers Wrote:#23 for Pikeville was some what impressive..

Vargas could be a Demarcus Cousins type of player, maybe he will shine out in the regular season..
Terrence Jones really needs to step his game up.. We can do without the 3 ball from him.. He needs to be inside ripping boards down, and tipping dunks in.

#23 was impressive but I thought that the guard, I believe he was #4, looked pretty good to. Both of them will have big years for the Bears.
leecoukfan Wrote:Glad to see some familiar faces getting playing time for Pikeville in this one!

UKisN1 Wrote:You left off Chris Puckett of Jenkins.
Oops, sorry!

Chris Puckett(Jenkins) went 2-2 FT with 2pts in 5 minutes of action.
leecoukfan Wrote:Oops, sorry!

Chris Puckett(Jenkins) went 2-2 FT with 2pts in 5 minutes of action.

How in the world did Chris Puckett beat Zack Hurt for a spot on Varsity.Puckett is good, but IMO, not as good as Zack. Zack should have been playing last night. Yes, Zack did transfer, but I heard that the reason why is cuz it was down to him and the Newsome boy for the last spot. Zack transfered before they could make a decision.
WALL2WALL Wrote:How in the world did Chris Puckett beat Zack Hurt for a spot on Varsity.Puckett is good, but IMO, not as good as Zack. Zack should have been playing last night. Yes, Zack did transfer, but I heard that the reason why is cuz it was down to him and the Newsome boy for the last spot. Zack transfered before they could make a decision.

Pucketts pretty good bro.
king360 Wrote:Pucketts pretty good bro.

I'm not saying he isn't good, but I believe Zack Hurt is better. Zack should have been given a spot ahead of him. But Zack is know at Alice Lloyd and will probably start, so he still is going to have a good time. I'd rather start at Alice Lloyd than ride the bench at Pikeville.
WALL2WALL Wrote:How in the world did Chris Puckett beat Zack Hurt for a spot on Varsity.Puckett is good, but IMO, not as good as Zack. Zack should have been playing last night. Yes, Zack did transfer, but I heard that the reason why is cuz it was down to him and the Newsome boy for the last spot. Zack transfered before they could make a decision.

I will respectfully disagree. I believe Puckett is better.
Ballers Wrote:#23 for Pikeville was some what impressive..

I sure hope that was a joke.

And the fact that Zack started dating a chick from ALC Wink
UkFan23 Wrote:I sure hope that was a joke.

Yeah.
Vargas is not near as talented as Big Cuz and his post moves and nack for getting offensive boards are not near to Cousins capability.
I feel like Vargas can be a serviceable big man for us. He's not going to win any games for us, but he won't lose them either. Hopefully Enes gets eligible and he can come off the bench. They won't be near as much pressure on him that way.
WALL2WALL Wrote:I'm not saying he isn't good, but I believe Zack Hurt is better. Zack should have been given a spot ahead of him. But Zack is know at Alice Lloyd and will probably start, so he still is going to have a good time. I'd rather start at Alice Lloyd than ride the bench at Pikeville.

I like Zack..but I have to disagree.
sounds like alot of work to do, for most of the game Pikeville hung in there saying just down 12-15 points until around 9min or so left in the game whne Uk pulled away..
Just IMO.. I think if he puts the work in he could be up there and just as good.

On the topic of Puckett and Hurt.. I have to say Puckett is 10 times better.. Bigger body, can shoot extremely well.. I've seen him have some really big games.
Pros- liggins is abeast on D! and hustles really hard... Knight is just knight, he is the most consistent player on the team. Miller is playing really well

Cons- INSIDE GAME!!!! they are weak inside, not impressed at all with Jones, with or without enes this team has a long way to go, but def have the talent to do so. Alot of Turnovers and struggled with a press from PIKEVILLE!!! def not good...

I think the team needs some time for improvement.. "WITH" enes, this team could go to the elite 8 in march, but have a LONG way to go to get there...
With Enes elite 8? Are you kidding me? LOL...
If we had Enes, we'd have a repeat of last year huh...
With all the talent that has left the NCAA, and with what we have.. I have to disagree majorly.
king360 Wrote:Def. room for improvement, but free throws is a must!

Agreed 100%. To have success in the dribble drive, you have to be able to make free throws.
Pages: 1 2