Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hold backs- Good or bad and why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
What are your thoughts on this subject? Pro Vs Cons.:argue:
Okay are you referring to HOLD BACKS in school just to play football? IF that is what you mean...I am so CON! I mean I love football....I breathe it all season. I bite my tongue saying this..but football isnt everything. But if holding Jared back to play the game.....oh that is unforgivable. That is something we would never ever do! What good does it do the child. What about the child.... (that is what they are afterall!) What does that do to them mentally, emtionally, and socially!
If proven..I think a TEAM an ENTIRE team should have to withdrawl!
We all want to have our kids play this game to upmost! But dont lose sight on the goal and prize here....our CHILDREN growing into mature and EDUCATED adults. :Cheerlead
That is on the parent and what they feel is best for their child. They are students first and football players second. If you feel they need another year so they will be able to do the school work in high school, than I feel it is okay. If you are doing it so they will be a bigger and better football player, than I feel it is not okay....:booo:
I think if it benefits the child [ boy or girl ] 1. Education 2. Social 3. Athletics then I see no problem. I actually believe if its 1 and 3, 2 and 3, 1 or 2 alone its OK. I really dont think if you hold a child back for the soul purpose of athletics its a good idea.
footballfever Wrote:I think if it benefits the child [ boy or girl ] 1. Education 2. Social 3. Athletics then I see no problem. I actually believe if its 1 and 3, 2 and 3, 1 or 2 alone its OK. I really dont think if you hold a child back for the soul purpose of athletics its a good idea.

Great post!
FOOTBALLLUV Wrote:Okay are you referring to HOLD BACKS in school just to play football? IF that is what you mean...I am so CON! I mean I love football....I breathe it all season. I bite my tongue saying this..but football isnt everything. But if holding Jared back to play the game.....oh that is unforgivable. That is something we would never ever do! What good does it do the child. What about the child.... (that is what they are afterall!) What does that do to them mentally, emtionally, and socially!
If proven..I think a TEAM an ENTIRE team should have to withdrawl!
We all want to have our kids play this game to upmost! But dont lose sight on the goal and prize here....our CHILDREN growing into mature and EDUCATED adults. :Cheerlead

What good does that do a child? It could give them a better opportunity for a college scholarship. Therefore, receiving that education that they otherwise might not be able to attain because of family income. What does it do to the child mentally, emotionally, and socially? You could let them go away to college at the age of 17, not even legally considered an adult. Socially still immature, mentally possibly easier to fall to peer pressure, emotionally a 17 year old is all over the place. What if your kid asked you to be heldback so he could mature on and off of the field, what would be your response? Don't lose sight there is no right and wrong answer to this question. Each situation is different, and the answer lies within the different circumstances. I would never push my children to do something they were against, but I'm going to present them with every opportunity in life to better them and their future.
Start them a year later in school then there is no need in the holdback but at 17 a child is not ready to be sent off into the world yet. Most are heldback for sports bottom line and that is wrong but in the long run it will pay off for the child to allow him or her to mature as a child before having to become the adult they are going to be. Some kids are not even done growing by the age of 17 and people want them to become responsible adults away from home thats not happening
goBIGblue82 Wrote:What good does that do a child? It could give them a better opportunity for a college scholarship. Therefore, receiving that education that they otherwise might not be able to attain because of family income. What does it do to the child mentally, emotionally, and socially? You could let them go away to college at the age of 17, not even legally considered an adult. Socially still immature, mentally possibly easier to fall to peer pressure, emotionally a 17 year old is all over the place. What if your kid asked you to be heldback so he could mature on and off of the field, what would be your response? Don't lose sight there is no right and wrong answer to this question. Each situation is different, and the answer lies within the different circumstances. I would never push my children to do something they were against, but I'm going to present them with every opportunity in life to better them and their future.
Arguing over this is mental. Holding a child back for SPORTS is WRONG....IF there child needs to be held back for their grades, immature level, illness that is one thing. BUT FOR MERELY SPORTS ALONE...... priorities are messed up and need to be reconsidered. The field would never be an issuse for holding one of mine back ....NEVER! He is a great player....widely known...but IF his school works suffers. He knows he will not play until they have improved. ALL OUR KIDS KNOW THAT. Which is wonderful because they keep there grades in BETA club, that make sure to always represent their family, church, and school according. You give guides for your children...and you pray and hope they will do what is right. The forum guestion was HOLDING BACK and I ASKED if merely for sports. Merely for sports, as stated I am CON!
buzz Wrote:Start them a year later in school then there is no need in the holdback but at 17 a child is not ready to be sent off into the world yet. Most are heldback for sports bottom line and that is wrong but in the long run it will pay off for the child to allow him or her to mature as a child before having to become the adult they are going to be. Some kids are not even done growing by the age of 17 and people want them to become responsible adults away from home thats not happening
if you have this fear I agree, hold them back a yr from STARTING SCHOOL... but to hold for SPORTS ...nada!
I would say that most of the time we start them a year early in school for the same reason we want to hold them back in Middle School for sports. The parents are being competitive with their kids. "My kid is so smart vs. my kid is the best ball-player."

I totally agree that if you are holding your kid back for grades...fine! More kids will get some kind of scholarship through academics than athletics. However, if you just want your kid to be a middle school all-star by holding them back...NO GOOD!

Anyway, just my thoughts. Glad to hear what others think!
FOOTBALLLUV Wrote:Arguing over this is mental. Holding a child back for SPORTS is WRONG....IF there child needs to be held back for their grades, immature level, illness that is one thing. BUT FOR MERELY SPORTS ALONE...... priorities are messed up and need to be reconsidered. The field would never be an issuse for holding one of mine back ....NEVER! He is a great player....widely known...but IF his school works suffers. He knows he will not play until they have improved. ALL OUR KIDS KNOW THAT. Which is wonderful because they keep there grades in BETA club, that make sure to always represent their family, church, and school according. You give guides for your children...and you pray and hope they will do what is right. The forum guestion was HOLDING BACK and I ASKED if merely for sports. Merely for sports, as stated I am CON!

I was not arguing with your post. I was simply stating both sides to the argument. Like I said I don't think their is a clear cut right and wrong in this situation. I think with different circumstances there should be different reasoning. I completely understand and accept your viewpoint. However, you didn't answer my question. If your child asks you if they can be heldback to mature on and off of the field, what is your answer?
Easy answer. Good!

1. kids get another year of maturity.

2. another year at home, what parent does not want that?

3. Should be ahead in the academic part of school with extra year

4. if they do play sports it will only help them in development
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I was not arguing with your post. I was simply stating both sides to the argument. Like I said I don't think their is a clear cut right and wrong in this situation. I think with different circumstances there should be different reasoning. I completely understand and accept your viewpoint. However, you didn't answer my question. If your child asks you if they can be heldback to mature on and off of the field, what is your answer?
I did answer...the FIELD would NEVER..ever be in the my mind. NEVER! I would like to see the boy ask me to be held back so he could become a better ball player. I would fall to my knees asking forgiveness..because I had done something WRONG in my parenting. If he thought being a better player meant more than being a better student/human being. FOOTBALL IS FOOTBALL! GOD FORBID a player get hurt...FOOTBALL IS OVER! I have met NFL players who carrer was cut short. You know what they had..NOTHING! Went back to the drawing board and had to rebuild their minds!
I will weigh in by saying I know a few kids that have been held back whether it be for sports, academics, or maturity and they all have benefited. There is no longer any stigma associated with this. The kids prosper and become more confident in everything they do. I have not held mine back as never thought there was a reason too, but I am considering it for next year just because I can see the benefits, especially from a maturity stand point. Every kid is different and I believe this is a decision the child and their parents should come to together.
Newjacket Wrote:I will weigh in by saying I know a few kids that have been held back whether it be for sports, academics, or maturity and they all have benefited. There is no longer any stigma associated with this. The kids prosper and become more confident in everything they do. I have not held mine back as never thought there was a reason too, but I am considering it for next year just because I can see the benefits, especially from a maturity stand point. Every kid is different and I believe this is a decision the child and their parents should come to together.

:Thumbs: Do it you will not regret it! When you think about things it is a no-brainer.
I think most people agree that 17 or just turning 18 before entering college/real world is too young. Start the kid late or hold them back a year at some point. No big deal. There are a number of upsides to holding a student back or starting them later and most would agree with those.

Now there are some areas where it is more common for MS age students to get held back. These students often play sports and are held back around their 7th grade year. These schools/areas don't think anything about it. I have been in more than one conversation when I have been told that almost all the 7th graders are going to hold back or along those lines. This is coming from the HCs of these teams so its not like it is hear say crap. That I believe is a little wrong.
I have seen straight A student's held back for sports it is a huge advantage physically.This may make you look good in middle school but it will catch up to you. If I am a college coach and recruiting for 1 position say a quarterback and I am looking at 2 kids who are equally talented I will take the 17 year old over a 18 or 19 year old every time because I feel this kid may still have some growing to do physically & mentally. Just my opinion.
Looking into this I see where other states prevent starting 1st grade until you are 6 (Missouri). Then you get the compression of ages. I see too many kids of differing ages in the same grade.
I held both of my sons back and would do it again and both are honor roll students. The thing is that it is no ones business but the family involved anyways.
First of all it should be up to the Parents and the kid.

If sports is what your about. Go for It. They will get the same benefits that the others get.

Greater Maturity (Physically and Mentally).
Better chance of playing and enjoying sports (Isn't high school more fun that way). There are great life lessons to learn playing sports (winning and losing).
Parents get to have their kids home one extra year.

If your kid is making straight A's now, most likely, if the parent is involved, they will make straight A's the holdback year.

If they are smart, use the extra year to complete AP courses (Lets say just 4 courses) and pass the tests. At Corbin you can take 4 classes at EKU (assuming you have a 21 ACT before your jounior year). At 3 hours per that is 24 college credit hours virtually free. Call the college of your choice and see what that is worth.

I recommend to all hold your kid back (preferably start them late in Kindergarden). All of my kids are in school as old as legally possible by KHSAA rules.
Old Redhound Wrote:First of all it should be up to the Parents and the kid.

If sports is what your about. Go for It. They will get the same benefits that the others get.

Greater Maturity (Physically and Mentally).
Better chance of playing and enjoying sports (Isn't high school more fun that way). There are great life lessons to learn playing sports (winning and losing).
Parents get to have their kids home one extra year.

If your kid is making straight A's now, most likely, if the parent is involved, they will make straight A's the holdback year.

If they are smart, use the extra year to complete AP courses (Lets say just 4 courses) and pass the tests. At Corbin you can take 4 classes at EKU (assuming you have a 21 ACT before your jounior year). At 3 hours per that is 24 college credit hours virtually free. Call the college of your choice and see what that is worth.

I recommend to all hold your kid back (preferably start them late in Kindergarden). All of my kids are in school as old as legally possible by KHSAA rules.

One problem with the above. If you hold the student back in HS they can not play sports the next year.

This whole conversation always goes the same as far as pros and cons and where everyone stands. I just know i have talked to HC where they say "I'm playign 7 7th graders this year on the 8th grade team and they are all going to hold back". Because of the way you are allowed to enroll students in KY (age wise) there are times when our players are playing against kids 1.5-2 years older than them and they are in the same grade. It would not be uncommon for a 13 to play against a 15 and both be in the 8th grade. That makes a difference in team sports on the MS level.
The sad part is they are parents out there who are playing thru their kids. If they could they would hold them back 2 or 3 times so they could say the was the best middle school player ever. So what they couldn't play as a senior they were the best 8th grader. Parents are right it is their choice but a pretty sad excuse that they are only 17 and to young to go off to college.Hold them back in kindergarden or did it take them until the 7th or 8th grade to figure out how old they was going to be when they graduate.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Easy answer. Good!

1. kids get another year of maturity.

2. another year at home, what parent does not want that?

3. Should be ahead in the academic part of school with extra year

4. if they do play sports it will only help them in development

All excellent points.

The first 3 is exactly why I held my kid back he would have graduated at 17 but now will graduate at 18.

The only problem I have with holding back even though it is by KHSAA rules is holding a kid back to finish school at 19.
In my opinion the only reason this was done was because of sports.
i dont see a problem with it i wish i was held back in middle. i'm just saying i wish i had another year for school to go off of
LionEagle Wrote:The sad part is they are parents out there who are playing thru their kids. If they could they would hold them back 2 or 3 times so they could say the was the best middle school player ever. So what they couldn't play as a senior they were the best 8th grader. Parents are right it is their choice but a pretty sad excuse that they are only 17 and to young to go off to college.Hold them back in kindergarden or did it take them until the 7th or 8th grade to figure out how old they was going to be when they graduate.

The rule holds for 8th grade also. If you are 15 August 1 of your 8th grade year, you can't play in 8th grade ball.
A "holdback" in my book is a student/athlete that is allowed to play in the same grade twice........this is different imo than a kid that starts school late or stays back early in their school career. At this point, and i do totally agree it is between the parents and the student, the parents are taking a chance on the kid growing and developing into a tremendous athlete. Once they enter middle school athletics i feel they should move on with their class and continue on. If you have an 8th grader that has developed tremendously by the 8th grade and you hold him back and let him play again in the same grade i think that does the kid and injustice. If he is that good, let him move on and develop with kids his own age......i have seen this happen on many occassions however, kids are held back in middle school in hopes on developing further only to see many times other schools and players catch them and pass them up and they never really develop and succeed at the level they hope too. Maybe the year being held back doesn't teach them anything playing against younger competition after all. Bottom line though, it is a parent/child decision, and furthermore, it is a local school board decision to allow them to compete in school athletics at that point. Like it or not, as long as their is middle school athletics you will eventually have to compete against kids that are older, held back, or started later in school or something. As long as the athlete is eligible by their senior year then they are eligible to play middle school athletics. And i do agree with the maturity part whether it is for grades or athletics or whatever the reason. A kid can make straight a's for 4 years and not be ready for the world that awaits them after high school, especially at 17.
Does the added year really matter with maturity? My son is 12 and in the seventh grade. He is fairly mature for his age, don't get me wrong, He is still a child. He has competed against older players his entire life, being the youngest of three children. I just think maturity is learned by good examples.. IE parents, family, friends, and coaches. To develop a NFL SUPERSTAR, I say maybe...To develop a responsible adult I say no. You can not make that change , I believe, in a year.
Agree. Does it really do the child good to compete against players that don't present a challenge? Do they max out before the kid that didn't stay back? While they may be superstars in middle school it could be a very shocking adjustment when they get to high school. If it helps academically and socially then good, otherwise careful consideration is needed.
The thing is a year is a huge difference in a teenager. A 17 year old kid goes off to college and has to have everything mailed to his or her parents because they can't sign anything for themselves. As far as schooling goes I think it benefits the kids. How many hold back kids are scoring below average in their classes? From my experience none! I think it's the parents call but I know that I'll be holding my kids back even if they don't play sports, that or I will start them as late as possible. I believe in giving my kid the best chance to achieve their goals and how can having an extra year not make it easier. I didn't get held back but I wish I would have because I would have been more ready for the world. I would have worked harder in school because I could have seen the big picture more clearly.

Basically a no brainer in my opinion, hold everyone back boys and girls, athletes and non athletes. That or start them later.
What do you people thank about a team with at least half of there kids being hold backs
had about 30 kids on the team i don't thank it was for academics but this isn't illegal so
what can you say we will get them in High School.
Pages: 1 2 3 4