Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: The Truth Behind Crawford's Return (in case you didn't know)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Turns out the only reason Crawford came back is so he could retain his eligibility. You see, when Crawford agreed to play he signed a National Letter of Intent. The NLI states that if a player doesn't finish his freshman season, he loses a year of eligibility unless his school waives that penalty. UK did not waive the penalty and therefore, pretty much forced Crawford to stay.
I may be wrong, I see him staying around for a few years. After this season we will need him to replace Hayes & Carrier. I was glad to see Tubby let him in the game yesterday against LSU. Whether he stays or goes....I don't know, But as for now he is a Wildcat and I will cheer him on.
"ComfortEagle" Wrote:Turns out the only reason Crawford came back is so he could retain his eligibility. You see, when Crawford agreed to play he signed a National Letter of Intent. The NLI states that if a player doesn't finish his freshman season, he loses a year of eligibility unless his school waives that penalty. UK did not waive the penalty and therefore, pretty much forced Crawford to stay.

I've heard that. But, I've also heard his parents wised up, got past the $$ in their eyes, and realized it would be best for Joe to return to UK. There are conflicting reports on why he left in the first place. The only thing they have in common was playing time. It was either JC or his parents that were responsible (or possibly both). I don't know about you, but when I was 18, I didn't want to disappoint my parents. I'm personally glad he came back and will hold off my opinion of him until Big Blue Madness next season. If he shows up, he realizes his mistake. If not, I guess he is the spoiled kid a lot of people think he is.

BallaBaby

I'm glad he came back, for whatever reason it was.
"ComfortEagle" Wrote:Turns out the only reason Crawford came back is so he could retain his eligibility. You see, when Crawford agreed to play he signed a National Letter of Intent. The NLI states that if a player doesn't finish his freshman season, he loses a year of eligibility unless his school waives that penalty. UK did not waive the penalty and therefore, pretty much forced Crawford to stay.

Yeah. That was pretty much mentioned during the entire week between him leaving the team and getting reinstated. No D-1 school has ever waived the eligibility from signing the LOI.
"BallaBaby" Wrote:I'm glad he came back, for whatever reason it was.

Yea me too.
I just hope he does stay. But for now he's in UK blue and I'm behind him. For now.
Me too Catdawg
I'm pretty sure he will leave after this year. As I stated before the NLI is the only reason he's back.
It wouldn't surprise me but I hope your wrong CE.
If Tubby thought for one second Crawford wouldn't be there for the long haul, he wouldn't be back on the team now. I'll trust Tubby's instincts. He seems to be a pretty good judge of character.
"ZMG" Wrote:If Tubby thought for one second Crawford wouldn't be there for the long haul, he wouldn't be back on the team now. I'll trust Tubby's instincts. He seems to be a pretty good judge of character.

Good post ZMG....I agree with everything that you said.
But ZMG, don't you think they maybe didn't want to have to see him as an opponent later in the year? You see, they practically wouldn't let Crawford go without losing a year of elgibility. He was forced to stay here.
Do you think Tubby would have allowed him back on the team if he thought he planned on leaving? I don't.
If they didn't let him back on the team and Crawford went somewhere else, he would have been able to play the rest of the semester but not have been able to play his entire Sophomore year. It states that in the NLI. What I'm trying to say is Tubby forced him to stay with us or quit basically.
"ComfortEagle" Wrote:If they didn't let him back on the team and Crawford went somewhere else, he would have been able to play the rest of the semester but not have been able to play his entire Sophomore year. It states that in the NLI. What I'm trying to say is Tubby forced him to stay with us or quit basically.

Wouldn't it have been treated as any other normal transfer? If he went to a JC, he would have been able to play, I think. But transfering from D-1 to D-1 would require him to site out 1 year. He would have been able to play again next January, but he would be penalized 1 year for the NLOI, making him a junior. At least that's the way I understand it.

I completely see what you mean though. UK wouldn't let him out of his NLOI, which is good. If they did that, he would have had a normal transfer, and have all his eligibility remaining. But also if they did that, it would have made them look soft. They committed a scholarship to JC, and he committed a year.

I am very eager to see what JC does at the end of the year, though. It will give us more of an insight into what kind of person he really is.
Tubby and Crawford supposedly had a meeting before he came back and Tubby said the only way that he could come back was to promise to stay after this year

BallaBaby

"CatDawg" Wrote:I just hope he does stay. But for now he's in UK blue and I'm behind him. For now.
Me too!
Glad to see his return no matter what the case. Hope he stays.
Man I hope he stays... he is a special player, wait and see.
I think he will be a special player but I just haven't seen anything from him yet.
You didn't see the All-american game then CD.
I like'em, hope he stays.
he'll be great player in 2 years
Well sounds like a mean thing from tubby personally. But, i would say any coach would make that call.
I guess kentucky got greedy with their top prospect.....I know I would
crawford is just a little upset at the lack of playing time hes getting, but come in 2 years people will be talkin bout him and how he carried this team to a champ...
Yeah, esp. with the potential of Crawford!
I hope your right.