Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Why are they playing back to back days?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just like to get the thoughts of others. Football is the only sport from Hs and up that you play one day and give you a week to recover for the next game. I just think that it would be better to aleast give these boys three days between games. The KC JC was a hard hitting game. I know those boys are going to be sore for a few days. Is their anything that can be done to give them more recovery time in this playoff system? On a side note I am glad that they have started this. My son is a little enveous. They had a very good middle school team when he was in the 8th grade and he thinks that they would have done well.
It is to minimize the travel burden and time burden as much as possible given the logistics.

The first year, 2008, there was 7th grade and 8th grade only (2 championships). It was done in 1 day with 6 games done in one day. With 6 minute quarters and two games plus some built in down time the 7th grade seemed to be OK. But with only 1 game of turnaround time and that short period of built in down time the winning team of the 2nd 8th grade team was under obvious duress by the end of the 8th grade finals.

So last year it went to two days. A 2nd 8th grade division was added so there are 6 were 6 games on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. That seemed to help considerably the physical recovery of the teams to where it did not appear to be a factor.

This year another 8th grade division was added. So there will be 8 games on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. 2 of the Saturday games will be played at other facility. My understanding is that individual awards will done on Saturday night so that all school can attend this year.

So things have modified each year. Lessons learned and applied. But to keep this going more coaches and administrators need to step up and be part of KYMSFA. The founding members are on their 3rd year and the next generation of leaders needs to start to take hold. Maybe they can then continue to grow this.

Take care.
Because you couldnt do it on a school night.
This is by far fair and even for both teams that will have to face each other on Sunday. They both will have to play back to back.. Yes not the best scenario but an even and fair solution to the dwindling amount of travel and monies that most middle schools have in their budget. We try to do fund raisers for money to help our travel and our school is very gratious to us... We love our high school and thier support of our middle school program.
But to go another week with second round of travel for a 4 hour trip may be too much for most right now..... yes KYMSFA improves every year and it will to continue to do so. but right now this seems fair.
For the record Bluegrass had 2 games rest compared to Bell Co only getting 1 game rest. Also Bell did not have much left in the tank after there first game.
Any TV coverage for Sunday's games, like last year?
I would imagine basketball season getting ready to start would play a factor as well. I believe most if not all of our basketball team plays football and their first game is in early November, so another week of football would put bball way behind.
Bluegrasscard Wrote:It is to minimize the travel burden and time burden as much as possible given the logistics.

The first year, 2008, there was 7th grade and 8th grade only (2 championships). It was done in 1 day with 6 games done in one day. With 6 minute quarters and two games plus some built in down time the 7th grade seemed to be OK. But with only 1 game of turnaround time and that short period of built in down time the winning team of the 2nd 8th grade team was under obvious duress by the end of the 8th grade finals.

So last year it went to two days. A 2nd 8th grade division was added so there are 6 were 6 games on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. That seemed to help considerably the physical recovery of the teams to where it did not appear to be a factor.

This year another 8th grade division was added. So there will be 8 games on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. 2 of the Saturday games will be played at other facility. My understanding is that individual awards will done on Saturday night so that all school can attend this year.

So things have modified each year. Lessons learned and applied. But to keep this going more coaches and administrators need to step up and be part of KYMSFA. The founding members are on their 3rd year and the next generation of leaders needs to start to take hold. Maybe they can then continue to grow this.

Take care.
The "OLD GUYS" would love someone to step up and be the next generation. Are you interested?
I would volunteer to be the Region 4 REP and help with win/loss records and tracking football in region 4. I have no child in Middle School Football next year, i would help MANN with anything he needs.
I think playing back to back days is absolutely rediculous. even though it's Jr. high football these kids get banged up. i don't like it. How bout this.....Get rid of those stupid confrence championship games and start the playoffs a week earlier.
KYMSFA has no control of the conference champinships games. KYMSFA has tried to adjust the playoffs for the past 2 years to allow the champiosnhip weekend not to go into November. NOVEMBER is basketball season. I agree with having the playoffs so that someday we will not have to play back to back days. I can see this happening if more teams get involved in the KYMSFA. Then conferences would have to look at championship games and adjusting conference play. I know in our conference we only played 9 games as to not schedule 10 and then play in a championship game like last year, playing 3 games in 5 days is TOOOOO MUCH!!!! It still happens now if you do not end your regular season at a set time.
It will continue to get better and maybe this will work out for next years playoffs....
Playing games back to back is hard on a team and the coaches. It's very hard to game plan for a team with less than a day.
Noble Wrote:Playing games back to back is hard on a team and the coaches. It's very hard to game plan for a team with less than a day.

That's why only the very best teams get to do it!!! I'm just sayin'
eratia Wrote:That's why only the very best teams get to do it!!! I'm just sayin'

Agreed.
A great opportunity given to the middle schoolers, all teams involved will remember years to come........thanks for your hard work
Congrats to all the Teams that participated in football this season.