Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: who is the best coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
who is the best coach

Tubby Smithe or Billy Donovan
billy donovan by far look what he has did with his young team
Tubby Smith, and only Tubber bashers and people wearing Florida blinders will disagree....
Billy D may be a "Good Coach" but in the 10 plus years he has been at Florida, How many National Titles do they have ???
Im going to break it down with a few numbers...Which include this season...

Tubby Smith - Overall Coaching Record: 353-125..74% winning percentage
Record at Kentucky: 229-63...78% winning percentage
SEC Record: 101-28...78% winning percentage
27-11 in NCAA tournament
17-3 in SEC tournament
1 National Title, and I know you people are going to say with Pitino's team but the 1998 team lost 6 valuable players to early declaration of the NBA draft or graduation from the previous two teams, so why couldn't Rick win it all with the 97' team? Also if this arguement stands in Pitino's favor then I guess Roy Williams didn't win that title, because it was Daugherty's team right?
1 National Title, three elite 8's, five sweet 16's, and two 2nd round exits....

15-4 VS. Florida

Billy Donovan - Overall Coaching Record: 243-112..68% winning percentage
Record at Florida:169-84...66% winning percentage
SEC Record: 88-56.....61% winning percentage in the SEC
10-7 Record in NCAA tournament
1 National Runner Up with a ridiculously awesome team, 1 Sweet 16, Never been past sweet 16 since Runner Up season...Two 1st round exits at Florida, and 1 NIT appearance...
Im going to break it down with a few numbers...Which include this season...

SEC Record: 103-29...78% winning percentage
27-11 in NCAA tournament
17-3 in SEC tournament
1 National Title, and I know you people are going to say with Pitino's team but the 1998 team lost 6 valuable players to early declaration of the NBA draft or graduation from the previous two teams, so why couldn't Rick win it all with the 97' team? Also if this arguement stands in Pitino's favor then I guess Roy Williams didn't win that title, because it was Daugherty's team right?

15-4 VS. Florida

1 National Runner Up with a ridiculously awesome team, 1 Sweet 16, Never been past sweet 16 since Runner Up season...Two 1st round exits at Florida, and 1 NIT appearance...
Sorry..Didn't mean to post twice, but the 2nd one is more correct because of Tubbys SEC Record...
Nice alfus..
"torQQue" Wrote:Nice alfus..

Thanks QQ, The 2nd one is actually more accurate because I left out 2 wins and a loss from last years SEC tourny for Tubster...
Billy Donovan is better at getting talent but Tubby is the better coach
We must also look at the fact that UK should have the best players due to their history! Billy took over a Florida team that was nothing and made them a very competitive team in the country. Tubby on the other hand took a team that was at the top! It appears they are learning what it is like at the bottom as of late also. I don't see how anyone would say that Tubby is better based on the situation that he was placed in. Anyone could have stepped in and had a good showing were the UK program was when he took over.

I have one question. Which program is better now after each have been there compared to when they took the program over. I see more big blue blinders than anything else!

Confusedleep: :insane: Confusedtickoutt
"BelfryJustice" Wrote:I have one question. Which program is better now after each have been there compared to when they took the program over. I see more big blue blinders than anything else!

Confusedleep: :insane: Confusedtickoutt

This year Florida is better...Every other year that Tubby and Billy have coached UK has been better...You can't base everything on this season....
Only when your a bandwagon fan Alfus.

Can't wait to see where Florida finishes this year.
Tubby
"CatDawg" Wrote:Only when your a bandwagon fan Alfus.

Can't wait to see where Florida finishes this year.

That is were you are so wrong. I have never said that I was a Florida fan! It appears to me that you have a problem with anyone saying anything about the poor old cats that suck this year. I am a UK fan and have been for years and want nothing more than them to be what they should be. Just because someone points out something doesn't mean that they don't love the Cats, I do love the Cats and have for years. I don't care much about Tubby and never did. So please leave the bandwagon stuff out of it because that is so far from the truth.

:boosign:
"alfus21" Wrote:This year Florida is better...Every other year that Tubby and Billy have coached UK has been better...You can't base everything on this season....

This isn't the only good season that Florida has had since Billy came to town!
i cant believe this is even discussed... i know we are all upset about UK this year but Tubby is a better coach than Donovan. Donovan has one of the best recruitinig tools in the nation where he is at (girls & sunshine) and he still gets put out early every year.
as much faith as i have in tubby i would love to see billy donovan come to uk
"BelfryJustice" Wrote:That is were you are so wrong. I have never said that I was a Florida fan! It appears to me that you have a problem with anyone saying anything about the poor old cats that suck this year. I am a UK fan and have been for years and want nothing more than them to be what they should be. Just because someone points out something doesn't mean that they don't love the Cats, I do love the Cats and have for years. I don't care much about Tubby and never did. So please leave the bandwagon stuff out of it because that is so far from the truth.

Didn't say you were a Florida fan.
And as far as the bandwagon if it doesn't fit you then don't worry about it.
"golfman42" Wrote:as much faith as i have in tubby i would love to see billy donovan come to uk

OK

I respect that wish. BUT CAN SOMEONE give me some stats, reasons or anything as to why you would rather have Donovan or any other coach at Kentucky. I mean everyone keeps saying it but no one has given anything as to why. Look at the info that Alfus threw together then think about this some more.
its just about time for a change at uk 9 yrs tubby has been there and no titles one with pitinos team pitino mite not of one with em but he sure recruited them thats where tubby come up short recruoitng i just think they wood be better of with someone else like donovan he was an assistant behind pitino
"TE#82" Wrote:its just about time for a change at uk 9 yrs tubby has been there and no titles one with pitinos team pitino mite not of one with em but he sure recruited them thats where tubby come up short recruoitng i just think they wood be better of with someone else like donovan he was an assistant behind pitino

So was tubby.
"alfus21" Wrote:Im going to break it down with a few numbers...Which include this season...

SEC Record: 103-29...78% winning percentage
27-11 in NCAA tournament
17-3 in SEC tournament

15-4 VS. Florida

Impressive research! I still will go ahead and go with Tubby...I'll take his experience over Billy's flash any day. Besides Tubby is a good guy and Billy is a jerk (not that it matters)
Tubby is a better floor coach, but I think that Donovan is a better recruiter
Can and will someone please answer my question.
when donovan went to florida they was horrible look at them now... when tubby took over uk they were the best in the country now their programs are being compared donovan program is better than uks now tubby has worsened once to be a proud university all he is doing now is embarrassing it.. i like uk and hope they win i just donyt think tubby is the best fit there ne more
I would say Coach Kaye from Duke.
No UK was second best in the country remember Pitino allowed Arizona to have the number 1 spot.
Coach K has and will be the best in college basketball until he decides to leave college BB.
COACH K barnone
Pages: 1 2