Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: State Playoffs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One of the things I dont understand about this whole State Playoff system is how a team qualifies?
It looks like any team that wants in or "invited" can play. If your team isnt good enough to make it to your own conference championship game then why even bother playing for the state title?
I understand the more teams the more money for somebody, but it also just extends the season on and on when the better 8th graders could possibly be playing for their freshman teams or even start practicing basketball.
I'm not sure how many conferences there are across KY but take the top 2 teams and make a playoff system with out watering it down with 3rd and 4th place teams. Top seed gets home game.
They take the top 2 from each confrence. There are also a number of independent and at large spots held for teams not in a conference and/or someone that is lower in their conference. It is a little more complex for D2/D3 schools in that they can get in if they are the top finish as the top D2/D3 team in their conference.

As far as letting 3rd or 4th place teams in you have to look at the confrence. Now this is a stretch a bit but I think it fits. The 3rd or 4th place team in the SEC is sometimes better than the 1st and 2nd place team in another conference. You have the same thing with these MS football conferences.

If you think the playoffs are watered down you have not watched any of these MS playoff games. Past a game or two they typically are extremely close and hard fought games.
barrel Wrote:They take the top 2 from each confrence. There are also a number of independent and at large spots held for teams not in a conference and/or someone that is lower in their conference. It is a little more complex for D2/D3 schools in that they can get in if they are the top finish as the top D2/D3 team in their conference.

As far as letting 3rd or 4th place teams in you have to look at the confrence. Now this is a stretch a bit but I think it fits. The 3rd or 4th place team in the SEC is sometimes better than the 1st and 2nd place team in another conference. You have the same thing with these MS football conferences.

If you think the playoffs are watered down you have not watched any of these MS playoff games. Past a game or two they typically are extremely close and hard fought games.

You are right about the strength of the conference. I have watched several MS playoff games and they are very good.
I guess it is a good idea to let other teams in the playoffs just in case they had 1 bad game in their conference playoff game. I know of 1 team that didnt even make the conference semi-final game or didnt even have a good year and they got into the palyoffs, of course they got beat first round. So that kind of worked it self out.
Try being the only Div 3 team in a conference with 3 division 1, 3 division 2 schools and be the only division 3 team that plays. Talk about arguement for strength of schedule... See my post on "what about this for football". Just a suggestion for the season and playoffs.

I feel that there is a great way to allow teams to qualify.

Base your schedule off of points. 30 points for a div 1 school and 20 for divs 2 and 10 points for a div 3 school.

Win against a tougher team, and get win points and schedule points. Add this up at the end of the year and rank your teams in each division. Seed all the schools 1-32, 1-16 or however and have them play. Top seed by points gets home field advantage until you start traveling between regions and then alternate regions.

Rewarding a team for a tough schedule is a better way to aquire points , RATHER THAN RUN THE SCORE UP on a lesser team. This also allows teams who might go winless or 2-7 qualify due to the strength of their schedule.
EX- Central in Louisville won STATE with a 5-5 regular season record, WHY??? They played tough teams.. Did they pad their schedule with weak teams,,, UHHHH NO!!!

Just a tought but it would make the regions stronger and I feel that more teams would want to join the KYMSFA if they knew they had a chance on playing for something BIG!!!