Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: UK and WVU have open 2012 Dates
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Mitch Barnhart, please call Ollie Luck. I would love to see WVU play UK home and home in football. Your OOC schedule includes Louisville + 3 Sisters of the Poor. I would rather play you guys home and home than being forced to play Cabell-Huntington Community College every year.
Didn't Marshall blow the game this year against WVU?

Anyhow... I'd love to see us play WVU year in and year out, but I don't see it happening.
Coastal Carolina, UNLV, and Marshall. Those names don't make me shudder. UK plays in the SEC. Not the Big Least! Try playing Auburn, South Carolina, and Georgia in a row.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Didn't Marshall blow the game this year against WVU?

Anyhow... I'd love to see us play WVU year in and year out, but I don't see it happening.

:rockon:
I agree
I do not see it happening.
like to see it happen..
Would love to see it but UK needs every non conference win they can get.
Not going to happen, but it'd be nice.
What everyone else said...
I would love to see it happen. I know that the Neers would never leave the big least because they have such a good chance year in and year out of being the best team and getting to the BCS game. I really like WVU and I would love to see it happen.
Both schools should consider in putting this game together. What a atmosphere this game would produce !!!
UKs non conference schedule SHOULD look like this...bring back the Indiana game. Keep Louisville, and throw in West Virginia and some cupcake. Perfect schedule.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:UKs non conference schedule SHOULD look like this...bring back the Indiana game. Keep Louisville, and throw in West Virginia and some cupcake. Perfect schedule.

I agree
Would love to see the two play!
I like the idea of bringing Indiana back onto the schedule.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I like the idea of bringing Indiana back onto the schedule.

Ditto. I always loved this game. Not sure that it has the national presence of years past, but as a UK fan, I enjoyed this game and have a lot of fond memories (and some not so fond)
give joker 2 moe years to get his team ready and i would love to see this happen
I do remember my younger days watching the Indiana game and it seemed like it would go back and forth as to who won year after year. It would be kind of letdown to even lose to IU once if the rivalry was indeed renewed.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:UKs non conference schedule SHOULD look like this...bring back the Indiana game. Keep Louisville, and throw in West Virginia and some cupcake. Perfect schedule.

NO.
ky_football Wrote:give joker 2 moe years to get his team ready and i would love to see this happen

Me to

I agree
64cat Wrote:NO.

What is wrong with playing UofL, IU, WVU and a cupcake?
Are you happy with UK playing in the Tennessee Toilet Bowl every season? UK needs to upgrade its nonconference schedule to get of Tennessee bowls.
Jarons Wrote:What is wrong with playing UofL, IU, WVU and a cupcake?
Are you happy with UK playing in the Tennessee Toilet Bowl every season? UK needs to upgrade its nonconference schedule to get of Tennessee bowls.

I do agree.

The last time UK played on New Year's Day, the QB was Couch. The last time UK played in the Sugar Bowl, Bryant was UK's football coach 60 years ago.

Finishing better in the SEC is going to get us out of the Tennessee bowls not playing a tougher Non-Conference schedule.

UK currently plays 4 home SEC games and 4 away SEC games. If you are playing UL, IU, and WVU in a home and home every year along with a cupcake that would mean that every year UK would have 6 home games and 6 away games.

The only solution would be to drop UL and pick up WVU but Kentucky still needs those 3 cupcakes to build up their program plus having 7 home games every year is bringing in more revenue.
kentuckynole Wrote:Finishing better in the SEC is going to get us out of the Tennessee bowls not playing a tougher Non-Conference schedule.

UK currently plays 4 home SEC games and 4 away SEC games. If you are playing UL, IU, and WVU in a home and home every year along with a cupcake that would mean that every year UK would have 6 home games and 6 away games.

The only solution would be to drop UL and pick up WVU but Kentucky still needs those 3 cupcakes to build up their program plus having 7 home games every year is bringing in more revenue.

What does those 3 cupcakes get them ready for? Playing a tougher nonconfernce schedule will get them more ready for the SEC. Do you want the basketball team to play 10 cupcakes in Dec.? As a fan, I really do not care about revenue, I want to see my favorite team play at least 3 major conference teams which will make for better games. I am not excited to see Akron on the schedule. Maybe if they had played someone besides sisters of the poor, and the school of the blind brothers, they would have known how to react the first time they were challenged against Florida and Ole Miss. and not got blown out of those games.
Jarons Wrote:What does those 3 cupcakes get them ready for? Playing a tougher nonconfernce schedule will get them more ready for the SEC. Do you want the basketball team to play 10 cupcakes in Dec.? As a fan, I really do not care about revenue, I want to see my favorite team play at least 3 major conference teams which will make for better games. I am not excited to see Akron on the schedule. Maybe if they had played someone besides sisters of the poor, and the school of the blind brothers, they would have known how to react the first time they were challenged against Florida and Ole Miss. and not got blown out of those games.

Of course using the basketball team as an analogy means very little to me because SEC basketball and SEC football is totally different in terms of strength.
But since you used it Kentucky's non conference patsies. ETSU, Portland, Boston U., Miss. Valley St., Winthrop, Coppin St., and Penn. Now what major conference are those teams in just wondering. Now exactly powerhouses.

Of course we should go against the norm unlike the rest of our SEC who all play teams in the power conferences. Looking at 4 teams that usually are considered the powerhouses of Football in the SEC.

Auburn- Ark. State, La Monroe, Chattanooga, Clemson- 3 cupcakes
Alabama- San Jose St., Penn St., Duke, Georgia St- 3 cupcakes
Florida- Miami (Ohio), S. Florida, Fla. State, App St. -3 cupcakes
LSU- N. Carolina, WVU, McNeese St., La. Monroe- 2 cupcakes

LSU is the only team out of the 4 that played 2 good teams. Of course if they had not been asked to play in a prime time game to start the college football season they would have played another cupcake.

So I guess Kentucky should go against the norm to make the fan experience more appealing. You might not care about revenue but that extra home game allows Kentucky to pay for a few more scholarships for the non-revenue teams.
kentuckynole Wrote:Of course using the basketball team as an analogy means very little to me because SEC basketball and SEC football is totally different in terms of strength.
But since you used it Kentucky's non conference patsies. ETSU, Portland, Boston U., Miss. Valley St., Winthrop, Coppin St., and Penn. Now what major conference are those teams in just wondering. Now exactly powerhouses.

Of course we should go against the norm unlike the rest of our SEC who all play teams in the power conferences. Looking at 4 teams that usually are considered the powerhouses of Football in the SEC.

LSU is the only team out of the 4 that played 2 good teams. Of course if they had not been asked to play in a prime time game to start the college football season they would have played another cupcake.

So I guess Kentucky should go against the norm to make the fan experience more appealing. You might not care about revenue but that extra home game allows Kentucky to pay for a few more scholarships for the non-revenue teams.

The point I was trying to make by using basketball is if the basketball team scheduled all cupcakes and went .500 or close to .500 in confernce and earned a 9 seed would people be excited?
UK football plays cupcakes to get to 6 wins and earn a lower tier bowl. People get excited. Why such the lower expectations for football? As a fan I want my team to be the best and play better competition. I am not talking a major upgrade. UK is good enough to play better teams than they play.
kentuckynole Wrote:Of course using the basketball team as an analogy means very little to me because SEC basketball and SEC football is totally different in terms of strength.

Good post. I would love for UK to drop the three patsy teams for big conference teams. But for this program and for nearly all programs this is not practical. This UK program is not at the stage to play a tougher schedule and become bowl eligible yet. And playing a tougher schedule will not result in a higher profile bowl selection, only performance ( wins ) will get that. After decades of mediocrity or even less, the run of bowls and even the Tennessee toilet bowl as some describe has been a change and somewhat of a pride to be in for now.Now don't get me wrong, I and most have higher aspirations for this program and hope that the powers to be stay the course and that time will come. Too many people, especially the younger generation are too eager and impatient and have not experienced those fruitless decades.
Jarons Wrote:The point I was trying to make by using basketball is if the basketball team scheduled all cupcakes and went .500 or close to .500 in confernce and earned a 9 seed would people be excited?
UK football plays cupcakes to get to 6 wins and earn a lower tier bowl. People get excited. Why such the lower expectations for football? As a fan I want my team to be the best and play better competition. I am not talking a major upgrade. UK is good enough to play better teams than they play.
I agree with this, and I can see kentuckynoles point too. But West Virginia, Louisville, and Indiana are three very winnable games for UK. I think the UK-WVU game, if played yearly, would be big for both the SEC and Big East. I agree with kentuckynole that the SEC powerhouses dont play tough non conference schedules, but those are already established programs, and honestly dont really need the tougher schedules. For UK to be a top 20 team every season, beat WVU, Louisville, and IU, and if they can someday be a .500 conference team, it would do wonders for recruiting..the way the NCAA pollsters look at it is simple. If Kentucky beats Akron 48-10, and LSU beats Akron 48-10, LSU's win is greater.
Pages: 1 2