Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Home Field During State Playoffs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can anyone tell me how it is determined who will hold games at home?
refer to thread "does Robinhood play football"
Home field advantage is determined by the record and the difference between points in games.
middleschoolfootball Wrote:Home field advantage is determined by the record and the difference between points in games.

So your telling me that coaches should run up scores on lesser teams to gain advantage in playoffs? Surely you don't believe that. If that is the case then when teams are up 52-0 in the 3rd qtr I guess they should keep pouring it on and beat them 89-0? What would be teaching the kids? You want to know how home field is determined? The answer is politics. Under most circumstances the team who had home field in round one and who is also undeated, should get the home field if they are playing a team who had to play on the road their first 2 games. Unless............................. that team' s coach is a board member of KMSFA and tries to please everyone except his own deserving team and ..........never mind.
What was that knighted? Im so confused... Is it a point system?
BM82 Wrote:What was that knighted? Im so confused... Is it a point system?

I could quote the reasoning that coach Mann and some other board members gives a team home field advantage but its so full of bull that I have no desire to go there. What it comes down to is politics. I'm sure there will be a few people that will try to say otherwise but the fact is they give home field advantage to whoever they want to. For instance Henry Co. had to travel to Owen Co. and now Western, even tho they had a higher pt average than either team. Now if they win against western somehow they get home field over Lex Cath. I've heard several excuses why that is and it changes every day. Politics! IT seems our coach would rather look like he's not favoring his own team so that he can be the pres. of KMSFA instead of allowing his own school to get what they are deserved. WE are not the only team either but I'll wait and bide my time before I start naming them. I promise to give better details when this is over.
knighted Wrote:I could quote the reasoning that coach Mann and some other board members gives a team home field advantage but its so full of bull that I have no desire to go there. What it comes down to is politics. I'm sure there will be a few people that will try to say otherwise but the fact is they give home field advantage to whoever they want to. For instance Henry Co. had to travel to Owen Co. and now Western, even tho they had a higher pt average than either team. Now if they win against western somehow they get home field over Lex Cath. I've heard several excuses why that is and it changes every day. Politics! IT seems our coach would rather look like he's not favoring his own team so that he can be the pres. of KMSFA instead of allowing his own school to get what they are deserved. WE are not the only team either but I'll wait and bide my time before I start naming them. I promise to give better details when this is over.
Kniighted. Just a second. That board member coach, does not want to go to Henry either. I am gonna adress this issue shortly and can give you a better response. As for Henry and their travels. Henry traveled to Owen and should have been seeded higher for sure, as for they beat Owen in the regular season and finished first above them in the same conference. The real truth is this....... The Championship coordinator implored coaches to get in their Win/loss submissions and eventually created a deadline. Henry did not meet that, even after I called them several times to explain. They created their own travel issues by not providing the information needed. As for LC traveling there? That will be adressed.
Politics? Late paperwork? This will not end pretty. Im even more confused....
Hey guys....I have been whinning about all of this home field stuff too. Consider me guilty. Just like everyone else I want whatever advantage for my kids as the next guy. The Board has been very forth right about this issue. All you have to do is ask. Everyone has been more than helpful.

The enrollment has exploded in the middle school football tourny and of course there are glitches. The BCS process has been around for how long????....thats right.....and people are still whinning about it. Its natural...its competition!!!
I think at this stage we need to re-focus as coaches, players and parents. Itts about what happens between the lines that will determine the winner. Like in the movie Hoosiers.....The goal and court are the same size in every gym.....I think the dimensions of the football field are the same Home or away!! Lets play ball!!! I think the Board is dealing with alot of issues and I'm glad its them not me thats has to iron this out. Wjile there are glitches I am thankful they have put this tourny together.....win or lose!!!!! Play Ball !!!!
snipes8 Wrote:Hey guys....I have been whinning about all of this home field stuff too. Consider me guilty. Just like everyone else I want whatever advantage for my kids as the next guy. The Board has been very forth right about this issue. All you have to do is ask. Everyone has been more than helpful.

The enrollment has exploded in the middle school football tourny and of course there are glitches. The BCS process has been around for how long????....thats right.....and people are still whinning about it. Its natural...its competition!!!
I think at this stage we need to re-focus as coaches, players and parents. Itts about what happens between the lines that will determine the winner. Like in the movie Hoosiers.....The goal and court are the same size in every gym.....I think the dimensions of the football field are the same Home or away!! Lets play ball!!! I think the Board is dealing with alot of issues and I'm glad its them not me thats has to iron this out. Wjile there are glitches I am thankful they have put this tourny together.....win or lose!!!!! Play Ball !!!!

Glitches are inevitable but politics are still and always will find their way into every system out here.....but that doesn't mean I won't complain about it.
did you say 5 boot / lol
snipes8 Wrote:Hey guys....I have been whinning about all of this home field stuff too. Consider me guilty. Just like everyone else I want whatever advantage for my kids as the next guy. The Board has been very forth right about this issue. All you have to do is ask. Everyone has been more than helpful.

I agree! The only issue I can see a school making about having to travel would transportation cost. It doesn't matter where the game is played. If your team is good enough and they are supposed to win then they can do it home or away. It's not about where the game is played that makes the difference in the game it is about how the teams play. So, if there is a better team then they should be able to travel into their opponents backyard and beat them, unless, in New Harlan's case they decide to use officials that they like better then their is a home field advantage, but as we all know you do not have to worry about that happening again because we have seen the outcome and if it does congratulations automatic forfeit for the home team and you can advance. But, all in all its about how the teams play not where it's at!
VMSPATS Wrote:I agree! The only issue I can see a school making about having to travel would transportation cost. It doesn't matter where the game is played. If your team is good enough and they are supposed to win then they can do it home or away. It's not about where the game is played that makes the difference in the game it is about how the teams play. So, if there is a better team then they should be able to travel into their opponents backyard and beat them, unless, in New Harlan's case they decide to use officials that they like better then their is a home field advantage, but as we all know you do not have to worry about that happening again because we have seen the outcome and if it does congratulations automatic forfeit for the home team and you can advance. But, all in all its about how the teams play not where it's at!

I said it in another thread and I'll say it here. What was posted here about the "board appointed" referees in the New Harlan case is completely untrue. You shouldn't be repeating lies--it makes your point invalid.
VMSPATS Wrote:I agree! The only issue I can see a school making about having to travel would transportation cost. It doesn't matter where the game is played. If your team is good enough and they are supposed to win then they can do it home or away. It's not about where the game is played that makes the difference in the game it is about how the teams play. So, if there is a better team then they should be able to travel into their opponents backyard and beat them, unless, in New Harlan's case they decide to use officials that they like better then their is a home field advantage, but as we all know you do not have to worry about that happening again because we have seen the outcome and if it does congratulations automatic forfeit for the home team and you can advance. But, all in all its about how the teams play not where it's at!

note true it's about what part of the state your representing..and who you know..politics that is why so many teams don,t play in this tourney and the money it cost to play .food gas rooms etc....
A 3 to 4 hour bus ride can be a huge advantage at this level.
We will see now if Lone Oak 8th goes to Moss and Lone Oak 7th goes to Barren. Seems like last week Bowling Green 8th went to Graves and their 7th went to Lone Oak on the same day. A higher seed hosted a home game in this instance. Will the rules be different now?
Boo Boo bear Wrote:note true it's about what part of the state your representing..and who you know..politics that is why so many teams don,t play in this tourney and the money it cost to play .food gas rooms etc....

Being involved with KYMSFA since its conception I can say the founders and organizers have wanted to avoid politics and back-room deals that seem to be prevalent at the HS football level. The goal of this tournament and KYMSFA as a whole is expand and promote the sport of football at the middle school throughout the state - period.

The concept of this tournament was simple - to give teams and kids a chance to play against other strong teams in the state after playing in their own local area. Basically, to provide a test to teams that may or may not have strong local competition.

The logistics of this tournament are daunting for not only the organizers - volunteer coaches who sacrifice 100s of hours of time - but also, as correctly pointed out above, for the coaches, teams and school administrators of the participating teams.

To host what amounts to the 'sweet 16' of middle school football takes commitment on the part of the KYMSFA but also of the hosting school. To staff 2 full days of non-stop football has required the focus of the Lexington Catholic administration, the Lexington Catholic coach Bill Letton and will require volunteer workers from not only the MS parents but also varsity parents who do not have kids playing MS football at all. Being the host facility has nothing to do with a competitive advantage on the field - but with accepting the mission to utilize the unique features Lexington Catholic with its central location, good facility, available hotel accomodations and outstanding boosters to offer to support to the KYMSFA and to better this sport at all levels for kids from throughout the state.

To see schools from far away such as Trigg and Graves County play in the first year of the tournament was amazing. To see the support of school superintendents attending the first years games from places like Bell County indicated that this was a special event for the state. And to see kids from different parts of Kentucky play for the pride of their state was special.

To those reading this long post, especially the coaches and school administrators, remember that KYMSFA is a volunteer organization primarily of coaches. While it sponsors this tournament it's role is much broader and critical to the sport of MS football in Kentucky. To expand and grow and continue in it's mission more volunteers are needed. I have personally seen the dedication and commitment of the founding staff. But more committed coaches are needed to keep this organization going. I have never seen KYMSFA as an exclusive function for the purposes of using politics to gerrymander this tournament or other activities. It is meant to be inclusive. But that means commitment of those who want make this sport better for all Kentucky Middle School kids. If you are interested in serving and being part of KYMSFA reach out to the current members and coaches. They are busy, very busy, especially right now. But knowing the coaches who assembled this organization I can say they want and need you to get involved and get committed. But remember - its not just this tournament. KYMSFA exist to improve middle football throughout the state and it takes an all-year, multi-year commitment to be effective. Do not be on the sidelines, be in the game of KYMSFA.
Bluegrasscard Wrote:Being involved with KYMSFA since its conception I can say the founders and organizers have wanted to avoid politics and back-room deals that seem to be prevalent at the HS football level. The goal of this tournament and KYMSFA as a whole is expand and promote the sport of football at the middle school throughout the state - period.

The concept of this tournament was simple - to give teams and kids a chance to play against other strong teams in the state after playing in their own local area. Basically, to provide a test to teams that may or may not have strong local competition.

The logistics of this tournament are daunting for not only the organizers - volunteer coaches who sacrifice 100s of hours of time - but also, as correctly pointed out above, for the coaches, teams and school administrators of the participating teams.

To host what amounts to the 'sweet 16' of middle school football takes commitment on the part of the KYMSFA but also of the hosting school. To staff 2 full days of non-stop football has required the focus of the Lexington Catholic administration, the Lexington Catholic coach Bill Letton and will require volunteer workers from not only the MS parents but also varsity parents who do not have kids playing MS football at all. Being the host facility has nothing to do with a competitive advantage on the field - but with accepting the mission to utilize the unique features Lexington Catholic with its central location, good facility, available hotel accomodations and outstanding boosters to offer to support to the KYMSFA and to better this sport at all levels for kids from throughout the state.

To see schools from far away such as Trigg and Graves County play in the first year of the tournament was amazing. To see the support of school superintendents attending the first years games from places like Bell County indicated that this was a special event for the state. And to see kids from different parts of Kentucky play for the pride of their state was special.

To those reading this long post, especially the coaches and school administrators, remember that KYMSFA is a volunteer organization primarily of coaches. While it sponsors this tournament it's role is much broader and critical to the sport of MS football in Kentucky. To expand and grow and continue in it's mission more volunteers are needed. I have personally seen the dedication and commitment of the founding staff. But more committed coaches are needed to keep this organization going. I have never seen KYMSFA as an exclusive function for the purposes of using politics to gerrymander this tournament or other activities. It is meant to be inclusive. But that means commitment of those who want make this sport better for all Kentucky Middle School kids. If you are interested in serving and being part of KYMSFA reach out to the current members and coaches. They are busy, very busy, especially right now. But knowing the coaches who assembled this organization I can say they want and need you to get involved and get committed. But remember - its not just this tournament. KYMSFA exist to improve middle football throughout the state and it takes an all-year, multi-year commitment to be effective. Do not be on the sidelines, be in the game of KYMSFA.

WHAT BLUEGRASSCARD SAID.:Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap:
Bluegrasscard Wrote:Being involved with KYMSFA since its conception I can say the founders and organizers have wanted to avoid politics and back-room deals that seem to be prevalent at the HS football level. The goal of this tournament and KYMSFA as a whole is expand and promote the sport of football at the middle school throughout the state - period.

WHAT BLUEGRASSCARD SAID.:Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap:
I don't have an issue with the Field advantage. what I do have an issue with is possibly playing a 9:30 am in the Semi finals. Our kids will have to get up at 5 in the morning and take a 2 1/2 bus drive. not hardly worth the drive to me.
knighted Wrote:WHAT BLUEGRASSCARD SAID.:Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap:
As one of "those coaches", I appreciate those comments. I think people may not realize that we are trying to be husbands, fathers, coaches and fans of football in this state. When we are up responding to emails, looking at All Star film, putting together these events it takes place when we could be spending it with our families. My son is a sophmore and I would love to spend it with him every minute. I could not tell you how much of his football I have missed. I do it and will continue to do it, because I LOVE IT!!!!. Any, I mean anyone, can call me and help volunteer to set up the All Star Game and Combine. Then I can spend a little more time with my Family and Team.
Yes you are busting butt ....just gave you props to one of Frankforts high school coaches that was just in!!!
The rules are not different! Lone Oak 7th Grade will travel to Barren Co. for a noon game then go to Moss for 4:00 PM 8th Grade Game.

Hopefully next year they will make whoever is in the 7th grade Regional Championship Game to play before the 8th Grade Regional Championship wherever the 8th grade game is held. That is the way we do it in our conference and it has worked well the last 3 years. Just my opinion though.
snipes8 Wrote:Yes you are busting butt ....just gave you props to one of Frankforts high school coaches that was just in!!!
thank you. Which coach?
Would you put all three 8th divisions regional championship games and 7th regional championship game at the home of which 8th grade division? This should be specified if at all possible before the tournament begins so know one will appear to gain a advantage and keep the focus on the teams. Who knows there might be a need for more than one division in 7th grade next year.
Sometimes it is just as good to travel and play as to not have to worry about cleaning up after you cook, if you know what I am saying?
As it grows and small kinks get worked out, this will continue to to become the stadard that other states will immulate.

KYMSFA, build it and they will come..... AND BOY HOWDY!!!!!! Have they EVER!!!
How are the allstars determined and have they already been selected?
I agree.....I think this is a wonerful event. I have not been fortunate enough to be in semi finals but I have watched some championship games. The atmosphere is off the hook!!!! Definitely like a state playoff atmosphere at the high school level. Great teams, great fans, great event......Excellent job!!!
Keep building !!!!:Cheerlead
MustangFan Wrote:How are the allstars determined and have they already been selected?
They have not been selested yet. Each coach can nominate up to 5 8th grade players. The kids are selected based from position, stats,etc. A panel reviews the submitted film and makes a selection.
Does anyone have Lex Cath stats from their last game?
Pages: 1 2