Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Boise State projected as BCS No. 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Six weeks into the college football season and one week before the first Bowl Championship Series standings are released, there are 13 unbeaten teams in all three polls.

So who'd be the BCS' No. 1 if the standings came out today? Would it be consensus No. 1 Ohio State, the top team in The Associated Press, USA Today and Harris polls? Or maybe fellow unbeaten Oregon, ranked No. 2 and earning first-place votes in all three polls?

According to the projection of ESPN's Brad Edwards, it's consensus No. 3 Boise State.

According to the projections, the No. 1 Buckeyes would place fifth in the BCS standings, percentage points behind Oklahoma.

Edwards projects the unbeaten Broncos, the highest-ranked team from a non BCS conference, as the top team in the standings by a comfortable margin, followed by Oregon. The top two teams in the final regular-season BCS standings play in the BCS National Championship Game.

Fellow BCS buster TCU places third in Edwards' projections, followed by Oklahoma at .8425 and Ohio State at .8421.

That might annoy Buckeye fans looking to celebrate Ohio State's first AP No. 1 ranking since the final regular-season poll of 2007. But Ohio State coach Jim Tressel pointed out Sunday that the only constant in the polls is that they're always changing.

"You take a look at the top 10 week to week and the precarious nature of any ranking is obvious -- just review the change in the makeup of the top 10 between the beginning of the season until now," Tressel said.

Of the top 10 teams in the preseason AP rankings, only six remain. Florida, No. 4 to start the year, is now No. 22, while Iowa has fallen from No. 9 to No. 15. Texas and Virginia Tech are unranked.

Oregon was No. 11 in the preseason poll.

Undefeateds LSU, Nebraska, Auburn and Michigan State and once-beaten Alabama round out the top 10 of Edwards' BCS projections.

The first official BCS standings of the season will be released on Sunday on the "BCS Countdown Show" at 8:15 p.m. ET on ESPN.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5673225"]BCS projections: Boise State, Oregon in top spots, No. 1 Ohio State fifth - ESPN[/ame]
An undefeated Nebraska team and one loss Alabama will make it in over Boise.
If true, this is a joke.
It probably won't happen, but if any combination of Boise/TCU/Oregon play for the national championship, I won't watch it.
I'm ok with Oregon, there legit.
If Boise State or TCU make it to the National championship game, then it will not be long before you start having a true play-off system for the National Championship. The BCS Conferences will not stand by and let those two teams play for the big prize.
Disgrace...
Blah..... BCS is making me sick of football..... BRING ON BASKETBALL!
I for one am loving this
Aslan Wrote:I'm ok with Oregon, there legit.

Yeah I agree with you there, if Boise State were to be #1 I think gives more reason to why they need to change how they calculate the BCS standings, Boise State hasn't played anyone!! The Oregon State win is the only one that I would give them any credit for.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Blah..... BCS is making me sick of football..... BRING ON BASKETBALL!

:dontthink Scotty, you don't know...
Navajo4life Wrote:If Boise State or TCU make it to the National championship game, then it will not be long before you start having a true play-off system for the National Championship. The BCS Conferences will not stand by and let those two teams play for the big prize.

I say put TCU in the Big 12 and put Boise State in the Pac-10 and then lets see how they do!
I do agree that the BCS needs to be tweaked. Playoffs might be too hard on the kids careers, but something needs to be done. I am perfectly fine with an 8 team playoff if at least 1, preferrably 2 regular season games are cut (1 non-conference, maybe 2 and 1 conference game, or none).

I believe the BCS at LEAST needs a +1. Many times the only true complaints are from teams that are in the Top 5 anyway. Now that the Big-10 added a Conference Championship, that helps the argument.

Right now there are 13 undefeated teams in the AP poll. Only two of those teams do not
A. Play against another undefeated team (almost every undefeated team will play at least one undefeated Top 25 team, thus cancelling many out)
B. Play a Conference Championship game. Usually undefeated teams play each other OR an undefeated team plays a great team.

Basically, the only teams that have an argument are teams that are undefeated at the end of the season. I cannot remember the last time that 3+ teams were undefeated. Let us look at what a +1 game would do:

Boise State vs. Ohio State
Oregon vs. Undefeated Big 12 Champ
Undefeated SEC vs TCU

IF 6 teams go undefeated, the BCS will have a big problem, so they would hope for 4 teams of less. If they have 5+ undefeated teams, the world will moan for playoffs

Lets suppose some of those teams lose along the way or that SOS drops for a non-BCS school. (Sorry, I do not see an undefeated SEC team happening this season.)

Boise State vs. Ohio State
Oregon vs. Undefeated Big 12 Champ

Let's say that Ohio State wins and Oregon wins. Both are undefeated bowl championship teams that won their BCS conference championships. Both have legitimate claims at the National Championship, right? Make them play each other!

Ohio State vs. Oregon....winner take all.

For this to happen, the bowl games need to be moved back to allow time for the +1 game, but there is usually OVER A MONTH long wait, lol. Plenty of time to move games back, lol.

Whatcha think?
I project that these projections will not even be close!
Aslan Wrote:If true, this is a joke.

:Thumbs:
Boise State does not deserve to be #1 in the land. To many other teams have played tougher schedules thus far than what the Broncos have.
Give me a break, i think if crappy Boise St. makes it to the national championship, every single SEC fan (prolly 65% of all the fans) and anybody else that wants to, needs to boycott the championship game and not even watch it, then when the NCAA loses millions theyll think twice about doing this again.

Seriously ive said it before and ill say it again Boise IS A JOKE and will continue to be one.

I think the BCS should change their format too.....How would this team do if they were in the SEC?
That would make this one easy, say what you want but Boise would definitely lose 3 and maybe more SEC games and definitely not make it to the SEC championship game and never would have, everybody has their opinions but last year and the year before Boise wouldnt have even won the SEC, much less a national title, unless they were playing another complete joke like TCU.
Have a playoff system with 8 teams. The NCAA changed the basketball tournament and added more teams when it wasn't broken. College football is awesome to watch but when it gets to the postseason, basketball runs off and leaves them. Why is it that the people in football do not like any change. Sometimes change is good.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Give me a break, i think if crappy Boise St. makes it to the national championship, every single SEC fan (prolly 65% of all the fans) and anybody else that wants to, needs to boycott the championship game and not even watch it, then when the NCAA loses millions theyll think twice about doing this again.

Seriously ive said it before and ill say it again Boise IS A JOKE and will continue to be one.

I think the BCS should change their format too.....How would this team do if they were in the SEC?
That would make this one easy, say what you want but Boise would definitely lose 3 and maybe more SEC games and definitely not make it to the SEC championship game and never would have, everybody has their opinions but last year and the year before Boise wouldnt have even won the SEC, much less a national title, unless they were playing another complete joke like TCU.

There actually far from a joke. There a top 15-20 team but they don't belong in the title game.
The only joke or jokes in this is the current BCS system and the people who support it.
Agreed.
The sponsors pay too much money for these bowl games to die.
It brings in massive amounts of cash because half the teams in the nation get there own little championship game.
It's a joke.
They make all these rules about players taking money and how it hurts the "integrity" of the game.
The way I see it, there is no "integrity" in not wanting to stray away from the BCS.
I mean it is utterly IMPOSSIBLE to nail down the top 2 teams in the country from everyone that plays.
We need a playoff system if we want the "integrity" they strive so hard to achieve.
There seems to be a lot of hate towards BSU, but they have legitimately proven themselves capable. Isn't the bottomline whether you win or not? Have they not beaten every feasible foe presented to them, whether it be great competition or not. They have the longest winning streak in college football right now. I see that streak continuing throughout the remainder of this season
here is the thing that gets me about the BCS. here is a quick refresher of last years standings.

1 alabama vs 2 texas
3 florida vs 5 cincinatti
4 tcu vs 6 boise st.
7 oregon vs 8 ohio st.
9 georgia tech vs 10 iowa

why didnt 3 florida play 4 tcu and 5 cincinatti play 6 boise st.? alot of questions could have been answered. primarily does boise and tcu belong... the bcs put them in a bowl game over in the corner because the bcs was afraid that their teams would get beat by the upstarts. do you think boise is afraid to play florida, alabama, ohio st., usc, oklahoma, texas or is it the other way around?

what happens if boise gets beat by one of the "power" teams? they would be what most think they are. good teams but they dont belong in the big leagues. what if the "power" team loses? look at what happened when oklahoma got beat by boise st., say what you will but since that loss the program has taken a step back and is just now getting back into the title hunt.

we all hear put them in the sec and see how they do... sure they will lose a game or 2 i am sure, but so does everyone else. LSU won the national title and was beaten by KY. Alabama just lost CONVINCINGLY. going undefeated in the sec is a daunting task for any team yet, it seems like alot of posters would expect boise to go undefeated in the sec before they should get a shot. i am sure before it is over with boise and tcu will not be in the top 2 and will play in a bcs bowl game somewhere else, but atleast have them play teams other than themselves to prove if they belong or not.
Very good post johnnyt
johnnyt Wrote:here is the thing that gets me about the BCS. here is a quick refresher of last years standings.

1 alabama vs 2 texas
3 florida vs 5 cincinatti
4 tcu vs 6 boise st.
7 oregon vs 8 ohio st.
9 georgia tech vs 10 iowa

why didnt 3 florida play 4 tcu and 5 cincinatti play 6 boise st.? alot of questions could have been answered. primarily does boise and tcu belong... the bcs put them in a bowl game over in the corner because the bcs was afraid that their teams would get beat by the upstarts. do you think boise is afraid to play florida, alabama, ohio st., usc, oklahoma, texas or is it the other way around?

what happens if boise gets beat by one of the "power" teams? they would be what most think they are. good teams but they dont belong in the big leagues. what if the "power" team loses? look at what happened when oklahoma got beat by boise st., say what you will but since that loss the program has taken a step back and is just now getting back into the title hunt.

we all hear put them in the sec and see how they do... sure they will lose a game or 2 i am sure, but so does everyone else. LSU won the national title and was beaten by KY. Alabama just lost CONVINCINGLY. going undefeated in the sec is a daunting task for any team yet, it seems like alot of posters would expect boise to go undefeated in the sec before they should get a shot. i am sure before it is over with boise and tcu will not be in the top 2 and will play in a bcs bowl game somewhere else, but atleast have them play teams other than themselves to prove if they belong or not.

Amen Amen Amen.
Well the thing is if boise state plays in the national championship against a legit team and gets destroyed then you will never see another non BCS team in the national championship again.
lovinfridaynights Wrote:Well the thing is if boise state plays in the national championship against a legit team and gets destroyed then you will never see another non BCS team in the national championship again.

Then you have facts to use instead of assumptions. The bottom line is the BCS system SUCKS.
Aslan Wrote:There actually far from a joke. There a top 15-20 team but they don't belong in the title game.

Its just my opinion. I dont care how big of a Boise fan anyone may be, if they know anything about the game of football they would tell you that IF Boise played an sec schedule they would probably lose 5-6 games this year, thus making them a joke and way out of any national championship talk.
I dont see how some think they have proven themselves. Against who. They beat TCU, their in the same boat as Boise and just as bad, and beating teams like Wyoming on a weekly basis is not proving anything.
It cracks me up some would still say beating VTech was a good win and should get them in, well to that i have to say
James Madison-21 VTech-16

Gimme a break.....Boise is a decent team, but not anywhere near the level of the top tier programs in the nations.
Westside Wrote::dontthink Scotty, you don't know...

Why do you say that? I am ready for UK basketball and there is nothing that can really undo my excitement for that. The BCS gets so old year after year when the rankings come out and we all begin the discussion of a playoff system... I am tired and ready to see the new system happen and make it to where these non-BCS conference teams will have there chance instead of ripping a bit away from a worthy team just because they have the tougher schedule as well......
So a couple of things:
- UK football is not doing anything special.
- Bengals are underachieving as always.
= Anxious for the start of Basketball season.
Pages: 1 2