Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Microsoft's latest knock-off: Internet Explorer 9
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I downloaded a beta copy of Internet Explorer 9. Microsoft claims that it is faster but I think that they are only comparing it to previous versions of their own browser.

What is obvious to me is that all of the best ideas in the browser wars are originating at Google and Mozilla. IE 9 has added the Google Chrome feature that lets you type queries into the address bar to do searches. It is a great feature and one that Microsoft should have been able to have come up with on their own.

I hate having to develop applications for IE at work and I only use it at home when I absolutely have no other choice.

I know that IE 9 is only in beta but it seems very slow to me and it is buggy. Even after closing it, I was left with a little box that says "Close" on my screen. I hope that it goes away when I reboot my computer.

Which brings me to another pet peeve with Microsoft. It's operating systems take forever to start up. I have Ubuntu installed on one of my laptops and it boots up in a fraction of the time that Windows 7 or Windows XP does.

Has anybody else tried IE 9 yet? Before you do, I urge you to take a look at Google Chrome or Firefox first. Who needs all of the Microsoft bugs and frequent security patches.
Chrome to me is the best browser for windows out there. Its fast and uses little memory to run. While IE slows everything down. Microsoft needs to quit worrying about there paychecks and start pleasing consumers.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Chrome to me is the best browser for windows out there. Its fast and uses little memory to run. While IE slows everything down. Microsoft needs to quit worrying about there paychecks and start pleasing consumers.
:Thumbs: In order to make creating cross-browser compatible web sites easier, every browser except IE follows the same set of standards (or at least makes the effort). Not Microsoft. It has its own quirks and because it still has over 60 percent of the market, developers have to write standard HTML and Javascript code and also include code to handle Microsoft's non-standard way of displaying web pages. To make matters worse, the development tools that are shipped with IE are big, slow, and buggy.

Thanks to Microsoft's marketing clout, I am not even allowed to install Mozilla's Firebug, which is a great debugging tool, at work, nor can I install Chrome. IE is quickly losing market share and eventually I many companies and agencies who currently only support IE officially are going to spend a fortune making their web sites work right with Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera.

BTW, I also love Chrome. Like you said, it requires little memory, it is fast, and it is reliable. I also like the fact that I can install Firefox and Chrome on a laptop running Linux. The speed difference between Windoze and Ubuntu is amazing. Anybody who has an older computer that they think is too slow to run Windows should give Linux a try before discarding their machine. It requires far less resources and delivers far better performance than Windows.
Hoot Gibson Wrote::Thumbs: In order to make creating cross-browser compatible web sites easier, every browser except IE follows the same set of standards (or at least makes the effort). Not Microsoft. It has its own quirks and because it still has over 60 percent of the market, developers have to write standard HTML and Javascript code and also include code to handle Microsoft's non-standard way of displaying web pages. To make matters worse, the development tools that are shipped with IE are big, slow, and buggy.

Thanks to Microsoft's marketing clout, I am not even allowed to install Mozilla's Firebug, which is a great debugging tool, at work, nor can I install Chrome. IE is quickly losing market share and eventually I many companies and agencies who currently only support IE officially are going to spend a fortune making their web sites work right with Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera.

BTW, I also love Chrome. Like you said, it requires little memory, it is fast, and it is reliable. I also like the fact that I can install Firefox and Chrome on a laptop running Linux. The speed difference between Windoze and Ubuntu is amazing. Anybody who has an older computer that they think is too slow to run Windows should give Linux a try before discarding their machine. It requires far less resources and delivers far better performance than Windows.

I can use Chrome, Mozilla, IE, at one time, which all allows me to log onto 3 different ticketmaster accounts so i can get 3 sets of BBM Tickets.