Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Shorter 49 Pikeville College 14
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First-quarter explosion leads Shorter past Bears
September 18, 2010
PIKEVILLE, Ky. – Shorter University opened the game with 29 first-quarter points and cruised past Pikeville College 49-14 Saturday afternoon at the W.C. Hambley Athletics Complex.

Shorter, 1-2, had opened its season with NCAA Div. I Western Carolina and NCAA Div. II Georgia State, and as a result had only scored 14 points. But on Saturday, playing their first Mid-South Conference opponent of the season, the Hawks soared past the Bears thanks to 468 rushing yards.

In fact, Shorter got nearly all its yardage on the ground. Pikeville senior linebacker Anson Cunningham, who had 10 solo tackles in the loss, caught as many Shorter passes – two – as the receiving corps of the Hawks.

But Cunningham’s effort wasn’t nearly enough on Saturday. Junior slot back Antwon Appleton took the first Shorter play 31 yards for a touchdown and the Hawks were off and running. Before the period ended, freshman Kenny Foster had scored from three yards out, sophomore Octavious Edge crossed from seven yards away and sophomore Brandon Morten scored on a 25-yard run.

For good measure, the defense got in on the act before the period ended, with junior Albert Huntley forcing a safety, and the score was 29-0 by the time the long first period finally ended.

Senior quarterback Ben Williams scored on a one-yard keeper with 31 seconds left in the half to make it 36-0 at recess.

Williams had scored again, on another one-yard run, before Pikeville finally found pay dirt in the third. The first score came on a five-yard pass from sophomore quarterback Trevor Hoskins to freshman Axxel Rivas, and on the final play of the quarter, Hoskins hit freshman Jordan Amis on a nice crossing pattern for a 12-yard score.

Sophomore Mike Heiss hit both PATs to make it 42-14 heading into the final period.

Morten closed scoring with an eight-yard pass from junior David Byrd with 11:49 left.

Freshman Troy Postell, subbing for kicker David Gulliford, hit 5-of-7 extra-point tries for the Hawks.

Pikeville (0-3) finished the game with only 42 yards rushing. Freshman Al Mayes led the way with 47 yards on eight carries (5.9 yards per carry). Hoskins was 25-of-44 for 274 yards with the two scores but did throw three interceptions.

He hit junior Bobby Owens and sophomore Chris Joseph five times each. Owens had 58 yards with Joseph accounting for 55.

Shorter had 14 different players tote the pigskin on Saturday, finishing with its 468 yards on 66 carries for a team average of 7.1 yards per carry. The balanced attack was paced by junior Albert Huntley, who had 68 yards on only five carries.

Five Hawks had at least 50 yards rushing, with two more reaching 40 or more.

Cunningham was the only player in the game with double-figure tackles. Senior Jamar Porter followed with eight, including six solos, and junior Rodney Dantes followed with seven solo tackles.

Shorter got tackles from 26 different players in the win, with junior defensive back Mason Strickland land senior defensive back Josh Gibson leading the way with five solo tackles each.

Pikeville will return to action again next Saturday, playing one final MSC West foe when it visits Faulkner University in Montgomery, Ala., for a 2:30 EDT start. Shorter College will head home next week, entertaining Georgetown College.
Who the heck is Shorter college
Stardust Wrote:Who the heck is Shorter college

They're in Rome, GA.

Bill Curry's Georgia St beat them 41-7 for their 1st and only win earlier this season.
Anyone attend any of the Pikeville games? Know anythign about Freshman Zak Koenenger?
I know that this game technically does not really matter. Only when they get into the east conference games does these losses hurt really deep. BUT this team from last years stats did not look really any good at all and they ripped the Bears apart. I really hope that this is not how the MSC schedule will look for the Bears. They have bigger student body, good facilities and plethora of players (varsity and JV) but it seems like they are just not competing they way they should. I hope that they turn it around quick before the season is lost.
This is pretty much a rebuilding season for the Bears.
MVP2 Wrote:This is pretty much a rebuilding season for the Bears.

Have the Bears (other than the first season) ever had a strong team to go deep in the MSC?
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Have the Bears (other than the first season) ever had a strong team to go deep in the MSC?

The answer to that question is yes.

We went to the National Playoffs in 2005, were ranked as high as 7th in the nation at one point during the season. Lost two conference games, Cumberlands beat us at home 24-22 (somethin like that) and we got beat at G-town 21-19, which was a crock. We lost in the first round of the playoffs to St.Francis, who ended up being the National Runner-Up. That was Jerry Mynatt's last season as head coach. That year Pikeville had many local boys play, and when I say play I mean actually started or got alot of playing time. TE Myself (Paintsville), OL Jesse Peck (Johnson Central, now Phelps head coach), OL Brad Allen (Breathitt County, now East Ridge head coach), OL Josh Hundley (Whitley County), WR Nick Jamerson (Prestonsburg), WR Justin Lamb (Breathitt County, holds nearly all of PC's receivin records), DT Josh Cullop (Belfry), DT Josh Sullivan (Pikeville), LB Matt Brown (Paintsville), LB Nathan Moore (Sheldon Clark), OLB Paul Sullivan (Pikeville), P Don Paul Branham (Pikeville).
Redneck Wrote:The answer to that question is yes.

We went to the National Playoffs in 2005, were ranked as high as 7th in the nation at one point during the season. Lost two conference games, Cumberlands beat us at home 24-22 (somethin like that) and we got beat at G-town 21-19, which was a crock. We lost in the first round of the playoffs to St.Francis, who ended up being the National Runner-Up. That was Jerry Mynatt's last season as head coach. That year Pikeville had many local boys play, and when I say play I mean actually started or got alot of playing time. TE Myself (Paintsville), OL Jesse Peck (Johnson Central, now Phelps head coach), OL Brad Allen (Breathitt County, now East Ridge head coach), OL Josh Hundley (Whitley County), WR Nick Jamerson (Prestonsburg), WR Justin Lamb (Breathitt County, holds nearly all of PC's receivin records), DT Josh Cullop (Belfry), DT Josh Sullivan (Pikeville), LB Matt Brown (Paintsville), LB Nathan Moore (Sheldon Clark), OLB Paul Sullivan (Pikeville), P Don Paul Branham (Pikeville).

I remember seeing this team play several times on TV 5. The thing that stood out to me about this team was its athleticism and the size of the defensive line. You'll were good.
Redneck Wrote:The answer to that question is yes.

Will they just never get back to that point with this coach?? I really wish that kind of a season could happen before the fan support dwindles.
Wasn't 2005 the year they had two players get serious looks from the NFL. Antwan Marsh was one of them cant remeber the others name???
pillsburythrowboy Wrote:Wasn't 2005 the year they had two players get serious looks from the NFL. Antwan Marsh was one of them cant remeber the others name???

YEAH!! I remember hearing about that!
pillsburythrowboy Wrote:Wasn't 2005 the year they had two players get serious looks from the NFL. Antwan Marsh was one of them cant remeber the others name???

Yes sir. Antwan Marsh was picked up by the Colts as an undrafted Free Agent, was 3rd on the depth chart before being released. Now plays for the Spokane Shock, who just won the Arena Bowl. EJ Underwood was the other player. A transfer from Ohio State (grades), played as a true freshman at OSU, picked up by the New York Giants as an undrafted Free Agent. Was used mostly as a kick returner, I actually watched him return a few kicks in a couple pre-season games. Don't know where he is now. His little brother also played for us that season, well he actually red-shirted, he supposedly plays at the Univ. of Cincinnatti, Jamal Underwwod.
EJ Underwood now plays DB for the Arena 1 Cleveland Gladiators.
Redneck Wrote:EJ Underwood now plays DB for the Arena 1 Cleveland Gladiators.

Cool!! Good to hear!
Redneck Wrote:Yes sir. Antwan Marsh was picked up by the Colts as an undrafted Free Agent, was 3rd on the depth chart before being released. Now plays for the Spokane Shock, who just won the Arena Bowl. EJ Underwood was the other player. A transfer from Ohio State (grades), played as a true freshman at OSU, picked up by the New York Giants as an undrafted Free Agent. Was used mostly as a kick returner, I actually watched him return a few kicks in a couple pre-season games. Don't know where he is now. His little brother also played for us that season, well he actually red-shirted, he supposedly plays at the Univ. of Cincinnatti, Jamal Underwwod.

That is correct. Marsh actually had a workout with the Dolphins not long after being released from the Colts, but failed his physical due to a knee injury. Underwood did return kicks, but was also used as their Nickle back in passing situations...I remember watching him tackle Tony Gonzalez in the open field. Thought that was pretty neat, watching a guy who played for little ole Pikeville tackle a player that might go down as the best TE in NFL history.