Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky 63 Western Kentucky 28
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final

Offensively we looked good, as Hartline was magnificent all night. Cobb & Locke had big games, as expected. Matthews come up with some big catches, as did King & Roark. Also got some production out of Moncell Allen. Was really impressed with backup RB, Raymond Sanders. He ran the ball very hard and ended up with two touchdowns.

Defensively, we looked terrible at times. If WKU could pass the ball, this would have been a shootout. Rainey ran all over us tonight, including a 57-yard touchdown run in the 1st quarter. That's totally unacceptable. Can't say anything that positive about our special teams play either, as we give up a kickoff for a touchdown, but Cobb did return a punt to the house. Like the past few years, I just don't understand what Steve Brown is thinking with his schemes.

Up next: Akron.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Final

Offensively we looked good, as Hartline was magnificent all night. Cobb & Locke had big games, as expected. Matthews come up with some big catches, as did King & Roark. Also got some production out of Moncell Allen. Was really impressed with backup RB, Raymond Sanders. He ran the ball very hard and ended up with two touchdowns.

Defensively, we looked terrible at times. If WKU could pass the ball, this would have been a shootout. Rainey ran all over us tonight, including a 57-yard touchdown run in the 1st quarter. That's totally unacceptable. Can't say anything that positive about our special teams play either, as we give up a kickoff for a touchdown, but Cobb did return a punt to the house. Like the past few years, I just don't understand what Steve Brown is thinking with his schemes.

Up next: Akron.

Sanders, and Russel will both be stars one day.
Mike Hartline 16/20 213Yards 3TD's

Randall Cobb 5rec 98Yards 1TD

Derrick Locke 21 110Yards 1TD
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Sanders, and Russel will both be stars one day.

Russell doesn't have that burst that other backs in the SEC have, nor the burst that Locke or Sanders have. He'll be a decent backup IMO.
UL and WKU both ran the ball well on UK and they are sub par teams. UK better patch up that run defense or they might not go bowling this year. Giving up 28 points to WKU is unacceptable.
On a positive not, the offense looked well again. Hartline has surprised me so far but well see how he fairs when the schedule gets tougher. Cobb is special, imo he needs to touch the ball 1/3 of the downs. No matter how he gets the ball, he makes something positive happen.
Aslan Wrote:UL and WKU both ran the ball well on UK and they are sub par teams. UK better patch up that run defense or they might not go bowling this year. Giving up 28 points to WKU is unacceptable.
On a positive not, the offense looked well again. Hartline has surprised me so far but well see how he fairs when the schedule gets tougher. Cobb is special, imo he needs to touch the ball 1/3 of the downs. No matter how he gets the ball, he makes something positive happen.

If you take away two big runs from those two games, then neither team really ran the ball all that good. Kentucky has been solid on defense thus far, but they have to stop giving up the big play.

They're actually getting off the field on 3rd downs thru two games. Something we haven't been able to do the past two seasons.
Agreed Blackcat what we really need to patch up is our coverage on kickoffs. We have gave up some serious field position of poor kickoff coverage alone.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:If you take away two big runs from those two games, then neither team really ran the ball all that good. Kentucky has been solid on defense thus far, but they have to stop giving up the big play.

They're actually getting off the field on 3rd downs thru two games. Something we haven't been able to do the past two seasons.

The defense has been ok. You have to consider the competition though. Lville as much as I hate to say it, might not win a game in the Big East and is coming off a 4win season, and WKU who is on a 20+ game losing streak. They've not stopped the run well so far and when the SEC schedule rolls around, that problem is going to lose them games.
Aslan Wrote:The defense has been ok. You have to consider the competition though. Lville as much as I hate to say it, might not win a game in the Big East and is coming off a 4win season, and WKU who is on a 20+ game losing streak. They've not stopped the run well so far and when the SEC schedule rolls around, that problem is going to lose them games.

I hope that as the schedule picks up their intensity and performance meet the occasions. You are completely correct that this particular part of the team component will hurt them in the end but I have faith that they will turn a corner.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I hope that as the schedule picks up their intensity and performance meet the occasions. You are completely correct that this particular part of the team component will hurt them in the end but I have faith that they will turn a corner.

I hope so. :Thumbs:
yep another game wasted with a lesser oppenent.....yeah wins are good and all but why dont they shedule a team that is close to what UK will face in conference play??that would let Uk know where they are and where they need to be
We just need 4 more guys
1c97fb29-5268-4822-bcc2-f53dfac0ec2f
Hartline is 33 of 46 for 430 3 TD's and a rushing TD in 2 games
CardinalAlum Wrote:Hartline is 33 of 46 for 430 3 TD's and a rushing TD in 2 games

Very impressive. I hope he can continue this against an SEC defense
I was hoping UK would beat WKU by at least half a hundred. Their defense IMO is looking shaky.
Way to go BIG BLUE !!!

Another impressive performance by Mike Hartline, albeit against an overwhelmed WKU team, but impressive still the same.

The offense is looking really well so far this season. One more week and then the real test will come for this Kentucky team.

Hopefully the Defense will come together by then.
The Wildcats Offense was spectacular!!! Cobb was amazing as usual as well as Derrick Locke! Hartline looks better than he ever has before! I was really surprised and glad to see Moncell Allen and Sanders also have a big game!!

As far as the defense goes it another story. I was kinda disappointed in the defense and I am hoping that the only reason why they allowed 28 points is because they knew who they were playing in WKU. But, thats not an excuse and if this had been any other team on our schedule with the exception of maybe Akron the results wouldn't be good. So hopefully the defense can step it up for the rest of the season!

IMO special teams also needs to be more disciplined because when they gave up that kickoff return it was because they left their assigned lanes because he dropped the ball and Special Teams can kill you in a game just as quick as any other aspect in the game.

But overall I was very satisfied with the outcome of the game! Glad to see alot of backups get good playing time and getting good production.

GO CATS!!:rockon:
Kentucky's D always steps up to a whole different level during conference play.
Stardust Wrote:Very impressive. I hope he can continue this against an SEC defense

Me 2, i will never talk smack against him again if he can.
The 63 points were alot to put on the scoreboard which was good,but the 28 points the Cats D gave up was not good.Need to get better on the D.
UK Rush D sucks once again.... We better fix our problems our its gonna be a long year, offense wins games, defense wins championships...
Pleasantly surprised with the offense .