Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Middle School Football in Letcher Co.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am going to voice my opinion of a issue that I found out about this week. The school board decided to split 5th and 6th grade football into two teams. I really feel that this is a bad decision, and really think that need to leave the 7th and 8th grade alone. Messing with it already might really hurt the development and the future of the football program here in Letcher Co. I really need to hear opinions on what you guys think. I really think Coach Howard is one of the best coaches at the middle school level. I really think he is fair in his coaching and he always treats them kids as if they were his own. Any other middle school would be foaming at the mouth to get this guy, and we are blessed to have him in Letcher Co. What would make them split? Kids have just a much chance to play than any other if they put the work into it.
I appreciate the sentiment and support. I think the idea behind the split is that we are not getting all of the football players in the county out to play right now. It's causing the numbers to be low at the high school level and they want to get those numbers up. The split has already happened at the 5th/6th grade level and I do think that it will move up to the 7th/8th grade level next year having at least two different teams in the county possibly three teams. Whether this is right or wrong I can't say, I guess only time will tell. I do know that since the consolidation we have played in back to back to back championship games in the Big Sandy Conference and were fortunate enough to win one of those. I think that given the opportunity to play Belfry, Johnson Central, Perry, Hazard, Prestonsburg, New Harlan has opened our kids eyes as to what football is like in the surrounding counties and this gives our kids more confidence when they play them at the high school level.
We have three teams in harlan county and i realy think it helps not only the amout of kids that want to play but it also give you lets see we have evarts -cumberland-new harlan thats three defenses...three offenses...three QB-rb -k gives you more to work with in high school...just my opinion.
I can see this point of view being a valid one. I guess this is one of those topics that has to viewed from the eye of the beholder. Ex-high school coach wanted it consolidated into one team and we did that and we were very successful. New high school coach wants it broken back into multiple teams and we will do this because ultimately it comes down to the fact that the middle school team or teams is the high school feeder program and has to do what is right for the individual coach and his needs. And Boo Boo Bear you are correct with your post because our numbers are currently down at the high school level and I would assume that this is why we are looking at going back to multiple teams. As the current coach of the consolidated Cougar team I feel that we have been very successful and I am proud of my current and past two teams accomplishments but as the coach of the former Whitesburg Middle School team I realize that they were also very successful before the consolidation along with the East Letcher team that was based out of Neon. Both of those teams in the past were very good and competitive. But we have three or four other elementary schools that do not have enough players for their own team so there will have to be some sort of consolidation to allow those kids to participate. The reason for the consolidation three years ago was based on the fact that all of other teams numbers had declined and they could not field a team and Whitesburg was the only one left that could field a team. At that point our Supt. and Board of education determined that the only way Letcher County middle schools could participate and be competitive would be to consolidate the multiple teams into one team. I guess to wrap this up I will say that I will do whatever I am told and coach whatever kids that they send to me in the future. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the Evarts and New Harlan teams made up of kids from multiple schools? I guess that three years ago people realized that we were surrounded by consolidated (with the exception of Harlan County) teams like Perry Central, Breathitt County, Leslie County, Clay County, Johnson Central, Martin County and it looked like the trend was to consolidate. Right or wrong we did consolidate now we are faced with the decision to split back up or not. I am sure our administration will make the correct decision for our county and Letcher County Middle school football will be just fine and we will continue to produce quality football teams that represent Letcher County with pride.
yes you are correct new harlan is made up of 5 schools evarts 2 cumberland 3 i geuss its just population when i played middle school football there were 7 teams in harlan county alone.
Yeah I remember the good old days when we had MJP, WMS, Neon, Cowan, Arlie Boggs, Kingdom Come and Letcher and Beckham Bates over here in Letcher Countyplaying against each other and all teams had quality players and enough to play. But in the past 10 years a few of county elementary schools have shut down and two or three of the existing ones having less than 50 or so kids and half that boys in the 5-8 grades. Right now I only have 6 schools feeding the consolidated team and if we go backwards out of consolidation I worry that we will not have enough kids to field two competitive teams, sure we can field two teams but I'm just not sure we can play the type of schedule that we have been playing. I definitely think that playing in Big Sandy and quality teams like New Harlan, Cumberland, Evarts, Belfry is out of the question. I think that we will have to drastically water down our schedule and pick up much smaller teams than we have been playing against, you've got to admit BooBooBear we have had some real barnburners with New Harlan and I think it has made our kids better over this way win or lose against you guys and it's the same with Johnson Central, Hazard, Perry, Adams, Belfry and many other quality teams. Like I said the administration will make the right move and I have voiced my concerns but I am willing to go back (man I don't like that word back because it's associated with backwards) to multiple teams if that's what they decide is best for our county. If New Harlan is made up of 5 good size middle school that's just one more than we have and we have some really small ones feeding only 3 or 4 players a year. I do like the idea of going to multiple 5th/6th grade teams but I like the way that we are feeding them into one central team preparing them for the big move to the high school but that's just my opinion. The consolidation has also almost eliminated the transferring of schools so that one kid can play on the more dominant team any give year. That was a problem over this way and it hurt other sports and some schools academically on given years that their home school was weak.
yeah new harlan and letcher have had some great games i hope to watch this year . have not seen new harlan play this year freshman games are the same night as middle school games . last years game was a great won big willie can move for his size. still think about that jc game anyway should have could have..good talking to you and best of luck..except well you know....:Thumbs:
Hey, Harlan County's future is really bright because I know the guys that I have coached against the past few years are gamers for sure. They are all big, strong, fast and mean to the bone. Honestly your biggest fans out of Harlan County is the football fans in Letcher County. We support you all every time you take field... except well you know! :rockon:
Cumberland isn't consolidated with anyone...their attendance for boys is in the 70's...this makes them a D3 school, which is the smallest.

Evarts and Black Mountain are the schools that make Evarts.

Letcher Central and Cumberland have played two very good games in the last two years. Letcher before that would have beaten them to death. Coach Howard does a great job and no matter if they consolidate or not at least one of the teams will be well coached.
i think splitting the teams back up to at least 2 or maybe 3, can do nothing but improve the feeder program for high schoo. Just like bo boo bear said in an earlier post, I gives you multiple skilled players with playing experience.
Middle school football is in good hands with Coach Howard. The lack of numbers at LCC has nothing to do with the concept at the MS level. It has everything to do with student and parent choice not to play. Even with the possibility of breaking into two or three teams will increase the number of players that may come out...they are essentially helmet holders. It is what the philosophy of the programs to be...improve fundamentals necessary for the HS program or give more students opportunities to play at a lower level of football.
The numbers were way down before consolidation and I would envision some numbers to increase at the local school level. Is this what we want? More participation is great..but not what drives the engine at LCC. JMO
I would want as many 5th and 6th grade teams as possible. I live in a county where there are 3 5th & 6th grade teams and only 1 middle school.
I heard Highlands has 12 5th & 6th grade teams and 3 middle schools feeding their programs. The more kids play at a younger age the better.
Old Henry Man Wrote:I would want as many 5th and 6th grade teams as possible. I live in a county where there are 3 5th & 6th grade teams and only 1 middle school.
I heard Highlands has 12 5th & 6th grade teams and 3 middle schools feeding their programs. The more kids play at a younger age the better.
Is Highlands the only high school in there county up there?
UKisN1 Wrote:Middle school football is in good hands with Coach Howard. The lack of numbers at LCC has nothing to do with the concept at the MS level. It has everything to do with student and parent choice not to play. Even with the possibility of breaking into two or three teams will increase the number of players that may come out...they are essentially helmet holders. It is what the philosophy of the programs to be...improve fundamentals necessary for the HS program or give more students opportunities to play at a lower level of football.
The numbers were way down before consolidation and I would envision some numbers to increase at the local school level. Is this what we want? More participation is great..but not what drives the engine at LCC. JMO

I agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
1) Transportation to Whitesburg from the other areas in the county is costly for parents/guardians. Once they are freshman at LCC they will already be on campus for practice.
2) Facilities. The Fleming-Neon grade school facility has a dressing room and the playing surface is in better shape because it isn't used as much (they do not share with boys and girls soccer).
3) Community. Just because the high schools consolidated doesn't mean the grades schools have to. There is still a lot of pride among families from both Fleming-Neon and Whitesburg in football.
4) Coaches. Jim Bob McAuley played at Neon, teaches at Neon, coached the h.s. team at Neon and is still there. Give him some $$$ and ask him to do it again. He coached the East Letcher Team.
5) Support staff. Trey Quillen helped manicure the new grass out there and helped McAuley. Give him some $$$ and ask him to help again.

The resources are already there. Dustin Brown, Greg Collins, Ryan Hall, and Drew Bentley to name a few, played for the East Team and went to either BBE or FNE. I don't think the teams at LCC are nearly as successful w/o those kids playing at the grade school level.
Hoot Owl,

I can't argue with you buddy. All of your points are good points. Like I said there are pros/cons for staying together or splitting back up. I do understand completely that it is hard to get transportation to pick the kids up after practice when you live at Neon or Dean. I do completely agree that Jim McAuley is a great coach and there is not better assistant around than Trey Quillen, both are great football minds and would give you the shirts off their backs. I've never said that there doesn't need to be a team at Neon again, I've just stated that the numbers have dropped so drastically in the entire county at all levels including pee-wee and I think this would prevent us from fielding two competitive teams that can play outside of our county. LIke I said, I see good reasons and bad reasons for either option and whatever way it pans out I will support it.