Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky 23 - Louisville 16
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final
Congrats Cats!

Whats everyone thoughts on Hartline? I thought he played well today. He looked as hes mature and I pleased with him and his decisions today.Mike wasnt the old Mike, he didnt force anything, and throw the ball away when nothing was there.
MVP2 Wrote:Congrats Cats!

Whats everyone thoughts on Hartline? I thought he played well today. He looked as hes mature and I pleased with him and his decisions today.Mike wasnt the old Mike, he didnt force anything, and throw the ball away when nothing was there.

he did better than what i thought he would. but can he keep this up for the whole year?
Cats made a lot of mistakes. Penalties came at horrible times
Typical UK game. They have their chance to blow out an opponent in the first half and then do everything they can to give it away by giving up big plays and stupid penalties. At least they won. An ugly win is prettier than a loss any day.
We did have our chance to make this one a laugher, but mental mistakes kept that from happening. Our offense looked very good and our defense looked pretty good too. Secondary needs some tweaks, but other than that I was pleased with what I saw against our arch rival. I also thought our offensive play-calling got a little conservative once we were up big early.

Was pleased with Hartline's play, as he looked confident and never caved in under pressure. Kudos to you, Mike Hartline.

Onto WKU.
thought they played good early, and was impressed with Hartline today,the cards made the adjustments in second half and held them to 3, got to do better than that...
cats looked pretty good in the first half... but hey it was the first game and mistakes are going to happen in the first game...so i think it was just a typical first game....hopefully they will correct the mistakes and turn into an awesome football team this year... GO CATS!!
Hartline looked better than I thought he would. UL ran the ball pretty well on them and I know if they can, SEC teams will too. You can tell theres a huge gap in talent between the teams despite the close score. Nice job Krapthorpe
Hate on Hartline now. He played very well today, and will continue to get better as the year goes on.
Any day we beat up little brother is a great day.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:We did have our chance to make this one a laugher, but mental mistakes kept that from happening. Our offense looked very good and our defense looked pretty good too. Secondary needs some tweaks, but other than that I was pleased with what I saw against our arch rival. I also thought our offensive play-calling got a little conservative once we were up big early.

Was pleased with Hartline's play, as he looked confident and never caved in under pressure. Kudos to you, Mike Hartline.

Onto WKU.

The play calling did get conservative. Which explains kentucky football in the second half for the past few seasons.

As for Hartline, i think he did very well and was bailed out by some tremendous catches by Cobb And Mathews, I just cant see him keeping it together against an SEC defense. I hope im wrong.
just wondering everyone's thoughts on why cobb didn't get the ball more???
Pretty good game, I love beating Loserville.

The problems I've noticed so far...

-UK's pass defense needs some work, not a complete makeover, but some tweaking. We were decent in the short passing game, but 15+ passes, we tend to give to much of a cushion. I know it could have been the coverage at the time, but it happened way to often. We the skill we have, we could have broken up alot more passes.

-Like always, UK got a little lax after we got up by a few touchdowns. Since Joker has started "molding" the team like a military, this shouldn't happen. It's a lack of discipline, and he needs to square it away.

-To many stupid penalties...I think 11? Of course, this is going to happen at the first of the season. But UK tends to commit these penalties when we absolutely can't afford them.

-UKs run defense is good, but not so much on outside runs. It looked like our boy's were lacking the speed to get to the outside and shut down the run there. Not taking the right avenue's of approach to the ball carrier.

-Of course, as you all know, our line is extremely young and inexperienced, but, they're skilled, and will only get better.

-The D-line needs to work on getting more pressure on the QB. I heard the TV fella's talking about how good UofL's O-line is...that is no excuse. We have to start getting more pressure on the QB. Not necessarily sacks, but enough to make him uncomfortable.

And the good points...

-We are hitting hard and playing with alot of motivation.

-In my opinion, Randall Cobb is a top 5 player in the country.

-Our defense is as good or better than expected.

-Mike Hartline has gotten alot better, mainly with his decision making. Thank god, let's hope he stays that way.

-UK is much improved when it comes to 3rd down efficiency.

Some random notes...

-The pass interference call in the 1st with about 7:00 to go was complete bull****.
-Again, I think Cobb is a top 5 player.
-Joker Phillips and Charlie Strong look like brothers...
-UofL QB Froman sure does talk alot of **** for a not-so-good loser...
-Does Loserville have new helmets and jerseys?
BlackcatAlum Wrote:We did have our chance to make this one a laugher, but mental mistakes kept that from happening. Our offense looked very good and our defense looked pretty good too. Secondary needs some tweaks, but other than that I was pleased with what I saw against our arch rival. I also thought our offensive play-calling got a little conservative once we were up big early.

Onto WKU.

I agree with this completely. He never seemed to be pressed
Stardust Wrote:I agree with this completely. He never seemed to be pressed

Hartline was the right choice and now all the haters get to watch him have a great year.
vundy33 Wrote:Pretty good game, I love beating Loserville.

The problems I've noticed so far...

-UK's pass defense needs some work, not a complete makeover, but some tweaking. We were decent in the short passing game, but 15+ passes, we tend to give to much of a cushion. I know it could have been the coverage at the time, but it happened way to often. We the skill we have, we could have broken up alot more passes.

-Like always, UK got a little lax after we got up by a few touchdowns. Since Joker has started "molding" the team like a military, this shouldn't happen. It's a lack of discipline, and he needs to square it away.

-To many stupid penalties...I think 11? Of course, this is going to happen at the first of the season. But UK tends to commit these penalties when we absolutely can't afford them.

-UKs run defense is good, but not so much on outside runs. It looked like our boy's were lacking the speed to get to the outside and shut down the run there. Not taking the right avenue's of approach to the ball carrier.

-Of course, as you all know, our line is extremely young and inexperienced, but, they're skilled, and will only get better.

-The D-line needs to work on getting more pressure on the QB. I heard the TV fella's talking about how good UofL's O-line is...that is no excuse. We have to start getting more pressure on the QB. Not necessarily sacks, but enough to make him uncomfortable.

And the good points...

-We are hitting hard and playing with alot of motivation.

-In my opinion, Randall Cobb is a top 5 player in the country.

-Our defense is as good or better than expected.

-Mike Hartline has gotten alot better, mainly with his decision making. Thank god, let's hope he stays that way.

-UK is much improved when it comes to 3rd down efficiency.

Some random notes...

-The pass interference call in the 1st with about 7:00 to go was complete bull****.
-Again, I think Cobb is a top 5 player.
-Joker Phillips and Charlie Strong look like brothers...
-UofL QB Froman sure does talk alot of **** for a not-so-good loser...
-Does Loserville have new helmets and jerseys?

They changed their facemasks from red to white, they changed the stripe on their helmet and added stripes to their pants.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Hartline was the right choice and now all the haters get to watch him have a great year.

I would not declare greatness yet. He has only played in one game this year. We will see how much he improves when confernce play begins.
After the game yesterday, I apologize for ripping Hartline. He prooved the haters wrong.

But, UK has a lot of things to work on. Our special teams(kickoff) aloud two huge run backs that allowed UofL to get good field position to start their drives.
I was very impressed with Hartline yesterday. I'm not going to lie I was one who was hoping the reigns would be handed over to Newton. As of yesterday I put my complete trust in the coaching staff in the decision that Hartline should be the starter. I would give him an A- grade for yesterdays game. The only negative would be that I don't think Hartline has the arm strength for down the field passes, but he managed the offense very well.
Its one game guys, Also note, Hartline had never been defeated by UL. DOnt declare him great until a few more games.
Jarons Wrote:Typical UK game. They have their chance to blow out an opponent in the first half and then do everything they can to give it away by giving up big plays and stupid penalties. At least they won. An ugly win is prettier than a loss any day.

:Thumbs::Thumbs:
I don't apologize for ripping Hartline at all. I'll give him credit, he played good yesterday. But, I still think Newton would be the better choice for our offense, and I just don't like Hartline. He has a bad attitude, and he talks so much **** on his teammates it's ridiculous.
vundy33 Wrote:I don't apologize for ripping Hartline at all. I'll give him credit, he played good yesterday. But, I still think Newton would be the better choice for our offense, and I just don't like Hartline. He has a bad attitude, and he talks so much **** on his teammates it's ridiculous.

:Thumbs:
YES Cats made way too many mistakes and didnt show any killer instinct but not long ago they would have found a way to lose this game so they've made progress.Look at it this way, at least we're not louisville. Thank God!! :Cheerlead :rockon:
Congrats Cats! GREAT 1st Half!!
Hartline looked impressive
Cobb and Locke were spectacular like always
Im looking forward to this year.
did any one see on the news where someone tryed to run a bus with Kentucky players on it off the road. it said the bus had to stop.
Cats and Joker get that all important 1st win. :Clap:

Hartline played extremely well but I realize the naysayers are there and will continue to complain regardless of his performance.

Two weeks to improve before the second season starts.
It was a good game.. And can't help but to love seeing Louisville get beat. I have to give props to Powell from Louisville, he's one **** of a football player.
Pages: 1 2