Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Controversey Over New WVU Uniforms
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
WVU ‘in discussions’ with Nike over strip-mining ad
September 2, 2010 by Ken Ward Jr.

In the wake of complaints from coalfield citizens groups, West Virginia University’s athletic department issued this statement today about the Nike ads:

The concept for the uniform design was to honor the coal miners of West Virginia and their heritage. Their hard work and dedication are the same characteristics of the Mountaineer football team.

The graphics surrounding the promotion of the uniform which featured 10 teams and an iconic representation of each school were designed by Nike and reviewed by the WVU athletic department. The intent was for the player on the field to be surrounded by coal and not as an endorsement of any one form of mining technology.

We are in discussions with Nike about the graphic.

So far, WVU President James Clements has refused to comment on the situation.

http://blogs.wvgazette.com/coaltattoo/fi...Nike11.jpg
I like the new uniforms and love the idea they are promoting coal mining and coal miners.
Screw those that oppose them. Do it WVU.
I think they look Bad @$$...Keep em WVU!!!
I like them too. There are always those that will oppose something, regardless of their true interests.
My god...I could understand if it had dogfighting or child molestation in the background, but freak out over coal mining? Really?

Love the uni's...To bad we can't beat them to death in them this year...Big Grin
I hate WVU, but I support the jerseys!
You have to understand Ken Ward. He is anti coal mining, anti chemical industry, and pro enviro whacko. Him and his HuffPo minions want nothing more than for people like Don Blankenship to be on a perp walk.
I think they look bad ***!
I love the uniforms and really wish that WVU would not cave into the tree huggers and be PC. WVU needs to take a stand for the majority of the people that support them, coal miners and those that support coal mining.

Keep politics and "tree huggers" out of my college athletics.
From what I gathered in another article, people aren't opposing the coal mining references, but the fact that Nike and WVu are trying to capitolize on the deaths of the miners. They say that it is all about selling merchandise and not honoring the miners.
Well there was some against the mountain top mine image. And I believe they have taken it off the uni's.

Are they making profit off of tragedy? Yes. Did Alan Jackson and Tobey Keith make money off songs about America and 9/11? Yes. So I really dont see a big deal.
Amun-Ra Wrote:From what I gathered in another article, people aren't opposing the coal mining references, but the fact that Nike and WVu are trying to capitolize on the deaths of the miners. They say that it is all about selling merchandise and not honoring the miners.
Well there was some against the mountain top mine image. And I believe they have taken it off the uni's.

Are they making profit off of tragedy? Yes. Did Alan Jackson and Tobey Keith make money off songs about America and 9/11? Yes. So I really dont see a big deal.

I read a similar article.
So what is the tribute to coal mining. Is it more of a black look or something? I really like those uni's and I think that the Mountaineers will keep em. They should not have to take and kind of crap for something like this. A states main source of income and economy should not be something that can argued about. Why not let them acknowledge it?
[YOUTUBE="Coal / WVU Uni's"]ho-9w2lSk5M[/YOUTUBE]
I'm not a big fan of WVU put I like the uniforms and I think they pay great tribute not only yo the miners that lost their life's but to all the miners and their families that help power America. So good job Nike and WVU on this move.
vundy33 Wrote:My god...I could understand if it had dogfighting or child molestation in the background, but freak out over coal mining? Really?

Love the uni's...To bad we can't beat them to death in them this year...Big Grin

LOL. I agree.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I hate WVU, but I support the jerseys!

yup, good idea!
CardinalAlum Wrote:I'm not a big fan of WVU put I like the uniforms and I think they pay great tribute not only yo the miners that lost their life's but to all the miners and their families that help power America. So good job Nike and WVU on this move.

Agree 100% with the bold print. Unfortunatly, WVU and Nike have given into the pressure and changed the ad.
their keeping the uni's just not the ad. they're saying it promotes strip mining but who really gives a crap as long as the keep the jerseys and everyone knows what they are for?
Those are some of the best lookin unis ever, they should wear them all the time!
i like them and hope they stay with them....
I am glad they are going in this direction!! It is pretty cool to do a tribute like this!
:rockon: Best lookin unis. in college football! They are BAD@$$! I think they should wear those all the time. :Clap: