Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: New Harlan 8 Corbin 6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I heard they played tonight. Anyone go to this game? Just curious how Corbin would fare against a well coached and very big team. Haven't seen New Harlan this year but thats what they usually are. Any word on what happened in this game?

Thanks
RichBrooks Wrote:I heard they played tonight. Anyone go to this game? Just curious how Corbin would fare against a well coached and very big team. Haven't seen New Harlan this year but thats what they usually are. Any word on what happened in this game?

Thanks

New Harlan 8 Corbin 6. This game was a defensive battle and came down to a big 4th down stop by Harlan at the end. New Harlan was BIG and fast, but Corbin matched them with intensity. It was a fun game to watch.
Good win for the Patriots beating the "2009 7th Grade State Champs". Corbin has some of the best homemade hotdog chilli around!
Just wanted to congradulate New Harlan for beating Corbin. Glad to see somebody can do it. Its all good to be confident but see where cockiness gets ya. LOL
Wow that was a great win for New Harlan. It just goes to show that anyone can be beat at anytime.
TOOMEY#4 Wrote:Just wanted to congradulate New Harlan for beating Corbin. Glad to see somebody can do it. Its all good to be confident but see where cockiness gets ya. LOL

From where I was sitting in the stands i dont believe there was any "cockiness" from either side in this ballgame. I'm willing to bet that Mama Bear will agree with me on this one. This was just two great teams going at it for 32 min.
Correct me if Im worng but I believe they are referring to the cockiness on this board by redhound93
RichBrooks Wrote:Correct me if Im worng but I believe they are referring to the cockiness on this board by redhound93

Correct me if Im wrong, but I do believe redhound93 is a spectator and in no possible way has an influence on the outcome. So how would it be possible for a spectators cockiness get his team beat? The only way that being cocky gets a team beat is if it is the team that is cocky. It's always a good idea to think before you talk/type and then you have a chance to re-read your statements to make sure it's what you meant.
Was referring to redhound if you go back and read previous posts on the 8th grade teams post you will see the question who will be able to beat Corbin this year, and all i was saying was looks like New Harlan can. I was referring to his cockinesss regardless of his inflence on the team. Open mouth insert foot.
I also was referring to his cockiness on this board and not whether or not that influenced the outcome. I've noticed that he hasn't been around since the loss.
Don't forget ole redound could be a kid!
Patriot Wrote:Don't forget ole redound could be a kid!

He is always on here posting about the accomplishments of his son. So I doubt he would go to all that trouble. He/She is just a proud parent.
I know of a couple but how many of the Harlan Co. 8th graders played as an 8th grader last year. Maybe Mama Bear or Patriot can give me some info on this.
Way to go New Harlan Patriots!!!Anytime you come out at Corbin with a win you've done something. I hear that Corbin was bigger and very physical and that their team actually won the 7th grade state championship last year. The New Harlan Patriots have an excellent program with great coaching. It takes that to march in to Corbin and leave with a win. I might add that this team isn't Harlan County. There are two more good middle school programs in Harlan County at Evarts and Cumberland. I would venture to say that last years definitely and maybe this years Cumberland team would give Corbin an eyeopening battle as well. These three(New Harlan, Cumberland, and Evarts) join together later on to make up Harlan County High School Football. GOOD JOB PATRIOTS!!
I've not had the good fortune to watch Corbin play as of yet but I wasn't shocked to see that New Harlan had won the game. We in Letcher County play them year after year and I am still waiting for what we would call a down year. Coach Wood is one of the better coaches in the state and he always has his kids prepared both mentally and physically each time they take the field. I would not be surprised a bit to see them advance in the state playoffs again this year. Congrats from your neighbors across the hill on the win against Corbin.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:From where I was sitting in the stands i dont believe there was any "cockiness" from either side in this ballgame. I'm willing to bet that Mama Bear will agree with me on this one. This was just two great teams going at it for 32 min.

I agree. This was just a battle. Could play it again over and over and it could go back and forth. Corbin is a very fundamentally sound football team with some good looking athletes. The Patriots just pulled this one off. This is one of the smaller Patriot teams in the past 4-5 years and Coach Woods and Coach Craig are really doing a great job. I'll confess that I thought we'd get our eyes beat shut, but the boys and Coach Woods had something different in mind. This was a good win for them. They've still got a lot of work to do and I'm sure they will continue to improve.

Also, posters on a message board do not win or lose games, but they do put themselves out there to eat a lil crow. They'll just have to eat crow and move on to the next game. We've all had our share. I like mine with BBQ sauce. :biggrin:
Coach Howard Wrote:I've not had the good fortune to watch Corbin play as of yet but I wasn't shocked to see that New Harlan had won the game. We in Letcher County play them year after year and I am still waiting for what we would call a down year. Coach Wood is one of the better coaches in the state and he always has his kids prepared both mentally and physically each time they take the field. I would not be surprised a bit to see them advance in the state playoffs again this year. Congrats from your neighbors across the hill on the win against Corbin.

Hey Coach! If you can get a game with Corbin it be a good game for your program. Maybe a Saturday when the kids wouldn't have to get back too late. I had to leave when you all were playing at Cumberland and didn't get to watch the game. Looks like you all have some big youngins again this year. Good luck to Letcher the rest of the season. We'll see you at our game.
Corbin is a very strong team this year.....what confuses me is that this new harlan team is not really a school team are they? Is there a harlan co middle school or is this a team that is put together by selecting the best athletes from harlan co. And putting them one team (is this a nice recruiting tool or what). Don't get me wrong, new harlan had an exceptional team....big, fast, strong........but on the other hand it took practically an all-star team to beat a true school team that plays the hand they are dealt year in year out. Also heard some others saying that this new harlan team wasn't the same team they played last year as 7th graders.......would explain earlier theory.
OldBobcat,

Your real wrong. I'm not even from Harlan County and I can vouch for them that they are not an all-star team. I'm from Letcher County and we played them last year and was fortunate enough to get a win against them. However, the team is not an all-star team in the terms that you are putting it. Yes there are some all-stars that play on it but there are two other teams in the county (Cumberland and Evarts) and both of those teams are also very good. The New Harlan team is a team that is made up of three small elementary schools that would not be able to field a team if they were forced to. The schools are within a few miles of each other and that is why they formed the name New Harlan, also because there is already a Harlan team but it is independent, thus New Harlan was chosen as the name for this team. The New Harlan team does not have any of the kids that goes to the Cumberland or Evarts schools playing on their team. If they were to combine the three teams and be a consolidated team they would be unreal and be in contention to win the middle school state tourny year after year. It's not used as a recruiting tool because all of the kids go to the same high school as freshmen. I don't have a dog in this fight but I do respect the three coaches that coaches the New Harlan, Cumberland and Evarts teams and hate to see someone that's not from the area accusing them of fielding an all-star team and that would be the reason that their team lost to them. I guess I just take offense to the notion that the only way a true mountain school could beat a Corbin team would be to cheat, give credit where credit is due, on that given night New Harlan was better than Corbin.
Congrats to New Harlan, seems like 3 schools doing the right thing and letting kids play football.
I couldnt have said it any better..
OldBobcat Wrote:Corbin is a very strong team this year.....what confuses me is that this new harlan team is not really a school team are they? Is there a harlan co middle school or is this a team that is put together by selecting the best athletes from harlan co. And putting them one team (is this a nice recruiting tool or what). Don't get me wrong, new harlan had an exceptional team....big, fast, strong........but on the other hand it took practically an all-star team to beat a true school team that plays the hand they are dealt year in year out. Also heard some others saying that this new harlan team wasn't the same team they played last year as 7th graders.......would explain earlier theory.

All-star team?
Not the same team?
That's funny.
How big do you think Harlan County is?

All of Bell's middle school players are one team. So are Johnson, Whitley, Clay and dozens of other counties. Harlan County High School's players are divided into three teams, unlike Corbin.
Well said Coach Howard. :notworthy
RichBrooks Wrote:Correct me if Im worng but I believe they are referring to the cockiness on this board by redhound93

Its called confidence..not cockiness,
RichBrooks Wrote:I also was referring to his cockiness on this board and not whether or not that influenced the outcome. I've noticed that he hasn't been around since the loss.
Just to clear the air for everyone..... IAM NOT IN A CORNER SUCKING MY THUMB & CRYING ABOUT THIS LOSS!!!!! Iam a truck driver and gone during the week so i cant make my comments til the W/E. From what I heard it was a very tough game. We failed on a 2 pt. conversion and a 4th and 4 inside Harlans 10, so we had chances to tie or win the game but the KIDS were not able to pull it off. Congrates to Harlan for knocking us off. One thing I will never do is make excuses. We have another tough game on Sat. at Lex. Cath. where we will be playing Woodford Co. How would my "cockiness" influence the outcome of games? IDU please explain. One more "cocky" comment...last year we lost a close game very similar to the Harlan game and we ended up running the table all the way to the State Championship...will it be a trend....we will wait and see
I was fortunate enough to get to see this game...
Great game for both squads, not alot of scoring but still a great game!
Defense was the name of the game in this one... The New Harlan team really stiffined up when it needed to... Corbin was just as stingy on D... they have an impressive looking team.. however, the Harlan team was very scrappy... both middle linebackers for both schools are very very impressive... both teams had really good QB's and the MLB for Harlan was very very impressive!
Overall, a really good game... and both teams will be sending some quality kids on up the ladder.