Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Cal talks Cats in Canada; Kanter staying home
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
UK coach John Calipari said today that freshman center Enes Kanter will not make this weekend's trip to Canada because questions still surround the big man's eligibility.

Kanter, who has been cleared to play academically, is still awaiting word from the NCAA about his eligibility.

The UK coach thought the rest of the squad would play. Calipari told assembled media members that forward Terrence Jones, who is coming off an ankle injury, now is nursing an injured left shoulder.
The 6-foot-9 native of Portland will play, Calipari said.

Calipari said the team will use the trip to Canada, where the Cats will play three exhibition games beginning Sunday, to see which guys can play. The coach anticipates this year's team will employ 90 percent of his Dribble Drive offense.

The Wildcats return four players from last year's 35-3 squad. Calipari said guards John Hood and Darius Miller have grown and improved their conditioning.

Calipari singled out junior DeAndre Liggins, not only for his ability to make hustle plays, but for his improved shooting.

The games will be televised on the Big Blue Sports Network and several other regional services. Calipari expressed his surprise to find out the games in Canada can be seen on television in 14 states.

"only in Kentucky," Calipari said.
:Thumbs: I hope I'll be able to watch the games! I wish Enes Kanter could've went along, though.
Ballers Wrote:UK coach John Calipari said today that freshman center Enes Kanter will not make this weekend's trip to Canada because questions still surround the big man's eligibility.

Kanter, who has been cleared to play academically, is still awaiting word from the NCAA about his eligibility.

The UK coach thought the rest of the squad would play. Calipari told assembled media members that forward Terrence Jones, who is coming off an ankle injury, now is nursing an injured left shoulder.
The 6-foot-9 native of Portland will play, Calipari said.

Calipari said the team will use the trip to Canada, where the Cats will play three exhibition games beginning Sunday, to see which guys can play. The coach anticipates this year's team will employ 90 percent of his Dribble Drive offense.

The Wildcats return four players from last year's 35-3 squad. Calipari said guards John Hood and Darius Miller have grown and improved their conditioning.

Calipari singled out junior DeAndre Liggins, not only for his ability to make hustle plays, but for his improved shooting.

The games will be televised on the Big Blue Sports Network and several other regional services. Calipari expressed his surprise to find out the games in Canada can be seen on television in 14 states.

"only in Kentucky," Calipari said.

Love the information!! I am really excited to get to see a so called sneak peak of what the team will be in a few months! I love that Cal mentioned Jones and has stated that he will be seeing playing time. I am really impressed with his Cal's confidence for his freshmen. Can not wait to get this season going!
To everyone that doesn't know, first game will be broadcasted tomorrow live on TV at 7pm EST. If you have WYMT and WKYT, it will be on those channels.
I can not wait to get back from a Reds game/weekend and then kick back and watch some UK basketball!!! Doesnt get any better!!
I'll be curious to see who starts at Center
I'm really impressed by the way Liggins has improved.
Stardust Wrote:I'll be curious to see who starts at Center

Josh Harellson.
Liggins has looked like he has impro0ved considerably. So far in this game, I've liked the way they get after it defensively. They are not getting to the shot, but the effort is there. This group will do a better job in the dribble drive than last year. I think thiere are more guys that can do it.
Stardust Wrote:Liggins has looked like he has impro0ved considerably. So far in this game, I've liked the way they get after it defensively. They are not getting to the shot, but the effort is there. This group will do a better job in the dribble drive than last year. I think thiere are more guys that can do it.

I agree,this team is very quick and athletic. Knight is showing he has a lot of potenical to fill in the shoes of Wall.
MVP2 Wrote:I agree,this team is very quick and athletic. Knight is showing he has a lot of potenical to fill in the shoes of Wall.

I know it's only one scrimmage game, but the kid has made me say "Wow & Nice" a couple of times. I like his shot. He has much nicer form than Wall, thus he will be more of an outside threat than Wall. He's not going to get the ball up the floor as fast as Wall, but he gets to the basket just as well. Where I see he won't be close to what Wall gave us was defensively. He is nowhere close to the defensive steal maker that Wall was.
Stardust Wrote:I know it's only one scrimmage game, but the kid has made me say "Wow & Nice" a couple of times. I like his shot. He has much nicer form than Wall, thus he will be more of an outside threat than Wall. He's not going to get the ball up the floor as fast as Wall, but he gets to the basket just as well. Where I see he won't be close to what Wall gave us was defensively. He is nowhere close to the defensive steal maker that Wall was.

I was so impressed with his intensity in scoring the ball!! 31 points is a fantastic way to begin and show the fan base what to look for. What Stardust said is 100% correct, he will not be the defensive machine that Wall was BUT the will to get to the basketball and their speed are absolutely amazing. I think that having a lead point guard that is more of an pure shooter does this team sooo much good and will be a big attribute in close games.
^ Great post
They might have lost a great defensive presence in John Wall, but in Knight's first start with 31 points.. One has to assume that Knight's ability to score more points than Wall will make up for the mess back on D. I just can't wait til Kanter gets eligible. Talk about a team then. I'm still stunned by just looking at Darius Miller.. He reminds me so much of Deuce Bello, only he can shoot A LOT better.
Ballers Wrote:They might have lost a great defensive presence in John Wall, but in Knight's first start with 31 points.. One has to assume that Knight's ability to score more points than Wall will make up for the mess back on D. I just can't wait til Kanter gets eligible. Talk about a team then. I'm still stunned by just looking at Darius Miller.. He reminds me so much of Deuce Bello, only he can shoot A LOT better.

vry tru Miller i believe stunned a lot of ppl...
Smack me if I am wrong, but I swear it looked like he shot up an inch or two.. Maybe it was just him hitting the weight bench or something.. hmm IDK. Did anyone catch the drop step dunk in the first half he had? It was pretty nasty. Not like the normal Miller we are used to.
Ballers Wrote:Smack me if I am wrong, but I swear it looked like he shot up an inch or two.. Maybe it was just him hitting the weight bench or something.. hmm IDK. Did anyone catch the drop step dunk in the first half he had? It was pretty nasty. Not like the normal Miller we are used to.

man it was bad...i wouldnt have wanted to be anywhere close to him when he through tht down...i didnt think anyone saw him doing tht after watching him the last 2 years