Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: WVU Has Got Even MORE Splanin To Do
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Commentary: Wrong Infraction, Wrong Time

Bill Stewart is dealing with more off-the-field issues.

WVU Declares Further Violations Against the Football Program

By Scott Grayson for wvillustrated.com

Aug. 10, 2010

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - The old saying in life is “timing is everything.” The timing could not have been worse for the WVU football program with regards to the latest infraction.

WVU appears to be handling this infraction properly. Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Michael Fragale said “We are aware that some players were wearing vests during the first two practice days. We are exploring further, will declare a secondary infraction and document it through the appropriate process.”

Here is rule 17.9.2.3 subsection ‘d’ which WVU violated:

"During the first two days of the acclimatization period, helmets shall be the only piece of protective equipment student-athletes may wear. During the third and fourth days of the acclimatization period, helmets and shoulder pads shall be the only pieces of protective equipment student-athletes may wear. During the final day of the five-day period and on any days thereafter, student-athletes may practice in full pads.”

That does leave some room for interpretation. WVU refers to those pads in question as “vests.” They are not shoulder pads, which are not allowed until day three of practice. However, the rule does state that only helmets are permissible on days one and two. Did the staff knowingly push the envelope? If so, was the risk worth the reward?

Let’s get back to the timing of this infraction. Just last week Athletic Director Oliver Luck stood before reporters and made public the NCAA’s accusations of major and secondary rules violations.

Nobody wants to see their program violating rules. Just as the fan base was accepting the news of the initial violations, this happens.

By itself, this is not the end of the world. At first glance, the NCAA may just take one or two practices in pads away from the Mountaineers. But, there is the slight possibility that the NCAA decides to make an example out of WVU.

The NCAA told WVU that the University will get the chance to argue its case regarding the original violations in February.

This is a question from my cheap seat. Where is the compliance department in this? What kind of relationship does the football program have with the department? Why does it appear the program is not aware of or at least following the rules, especially when it looks like the NCAA is out to police its members hard right now.

Let me be clear. I am not trying to exonerate Stewart. I feel as the head of the program, he should take the blame. But, the bigger picture here is, why does it appear the football program and the compliance department are unable to avoid these issues?

:lmao: LOL!!!!!!!!!! Eerie, what kind of outlaw program are they running up there in Morgantown? With this much cheatin looks like they would at least produce a good team. Oh well
Additionally, I just saw on WSAZ TV 3 new pictures from the first day of practice 2009 that shows this same violation. Getting interesting for the EEER fans.
No way am I a neer fan, but why in the world would they have a rule like that? Kinda dumb if you ask me.
Ballers Wrote:No way am I a neer fan, but why in the world would they have a rule like that? Kinda dumb if you ask me.

Even dumber to break the rule. LOL!!!!
dangerousdaneerfan's

Hey, at least WVU has never been on the cover of Sports Illustrated with the title "WVU's Shame" and the program has never been threatened with the NCAA death penalty.

Sounds like it will not be long until this happens.
Benchwarmer Wrote:dangerousdaneerfan's

Hey, at least WVU has never been on the cover of Sports Illustrated with the title "WVU's Shame" and the program has never been threatened with the NCAA death penalty.

Sounds like it will not be long until this happens.

Ouch.....:flame:
This is what happens when a hiring decision is made at 3am following the Fiesta Bowl win.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:This is what happens when a hiring decision is made at 3am following the Fiesta Bowl win.

I'm pretty sure the major violation's were Rich Rods doing.
But, they continued under Gomer's watch.

And this latest infraction IS Gomer's fault.

We knew Stewart was in way over his head when Erin Andrews uttered the now infamous "mass confusion on the West Virginia sideline" line during OT of the Colorado game in 08.
Westside Wrote:Even dumber to break the rule. LOL!!!!

That's true. Only in West V. :Thumbs: