Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky better than Vols?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/nkysports/20...-i-see-it/

This week the coaches of the SEC predicted UK’s football squad would finish 4th in the conference.

So what, right?

Well, according to the coaches, if UK finished 4th, then they would be in front of Vandy (no story there) but it means they would also be in front of perennial power Tennessee, too.

That’s the same Tennessee that’s defeated UK 25 times in a row. More than likely, in order to finish ahead of the Vols, the Cats would have to beat the Vols – and this year the game is in Knoxville.

So can it happen? Of course. Will it? History says no.

But the law of averages says the streak has to end at some point. Is this the season?

If anything, the Cats have missed out on their best opportunities in recent years, losing a multiple-overtime game in Andre Woodson’s senior campaign, and losing again in OT last year, when Rich Brooks made the worst coaching decision of his life (Randall Cobb, a native of Tenn, leads UK downfield in the last minute to try and win the game. Then, when the Cats got within 20 yds, Morgan Newton became the QB, the offense stalled, and at 4th and goal from just a few yds out, Brooks elects to tie the game with a FG. They forced OT, and promptly lost. I will never forgive him. Cobb should have gotten a chance to win the game).

Anyway, so is this the year? I can only hope.

Lane Kiffin left Tenn in the lurch worse than many coaches do when they leave a team – but let’s face it, they’re still Tennessee, and they still have talent. But apparently the league coaches feel UK’s Joker Phillips and his mission to improve overall team speed is working.

UK has many question marks, but Tenn may have even more, and if there was another chance for Kentucky, it would make sense that this would be it.

The only problem? The game being in Knoxville. I always see a chance for UK to beat UT in Lexington. But this year’s game will be in the sea of orange, a horrendous color to be certain, and a difficult place for any opposing team to win.

So what do I think? Right now, without seeing this UK team, I think they’ll give UT a shot, but I think I’d still give the Vols the edge. About 110,000 Tenn fans don’t want to see their team lose at home to UK.

For me, right now, I don’t see that happning any time soon.
If UK does not beat UT this year. It won't happen for a long time, this is UK's best chance for a while.
UK has had TN beat 2 out of the past 3 years but special teams let downs and poor play calling last season killed those chances. I think this is the year though they get over the hump in Neyland...cannot wait for football time in the bluegrass!
I think this is the year. We're known to do some crazy things, like lose games when we have them won and then go and upset a top 10 team...I think we'll steal one from the Vols in TN.

If Mike Hartline starts this year, I will never watch UK football again. I don't care if he was in college for 10 years, he'll never get any better than he is right now, and that's pretty **** bad.
Yeah, Mike Hartline isnt worth the paper he wipes his butt with as a QB.
We have been better than Tennessee for 4 out of the past 5 years we just can't get it done. But to me it would be sweeter to end this streak in Knoxville.
I read that this was the poll done by the media. Hadn't seen anything about the coaches picking UT to finish 5th in the East. Either way, I'm not too concerned. I mean come on, Vandy got a vote to win the East and UK got a vote to win the SEC. This year's UT team won't have the most depth in the world, but there's still some talent. On paper, this could be "the year" for UK to end the streak, but I've been hearing this for the past several years. One thing is for sure, I'm so glad that its almost football time.
I just can't see it this year. UK has to replace to much on defense.
Woodsons sr year I said if they didnt beat UT, then I will go the rest of my life and not see UK beat UT, and I am sticking by that. The average age for a male is something like 72 years old, and Im 34. Im more than comfortable in saying that if I live another 38 years, that UK will not beat Tennessee in that span. The Pittsburgh Pirates will win the world series before the Cats knock off the Vols.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Woodsons sr year I said if they didnt beat UT, then I will go the rest of my life and not see UK beat UT, and I am sticking by that. The average age for a male is something like 72 years old, and Im 34. Im more than comfortable in saying that if I live another 38 years, that UK will not beat Tennessee in that span. The Pittsburgh Pirates will win the world series before the Cats knock off the Vols.

I'm goin to punch you in the mouth!! :HitWall: :redboxer:
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Woodsons sr year I said if they didnt beat UT, then I will go the rest of my life and not see UK beat UT, and I am sticking by that. The average age for a male is something like 72 years old, and Im 34. Im more than comfortable in saying that if I live another 38 years, that UK will not beat Tennessee in that span. The Pittsburgh Pirates will win the world series before the Cats knock off the Vols.

Now Tides.... I dont know about that. UK will nab them at some point in the next 4 or five years which is still kinda pathetic. :yikes:
Sorry ppl..I love each and every one of you, but I wont retract this prediction. I hope more than anything that I am wrong. Id love nothing more than for UK to beat their punkasses but Im not seeing it..like I said, I REALLY hope I am wrong. Anytime Tennessee loses at anything, its a good day..
UK is returning the 2 most dynamic guy on the team with a few additions. i think UK can't win and maybe even go big this year
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Sorry ppl..I love each and every one of you, but I wont retract this prediction. I hope more than anything that I am wrong. Id love nothing more than for UK to beat their punkasses but Im not seeing it..like I said, I REALLY hope I am wrong. Anytime Tennessee loses at anything, its a good day..

By the way who is the oldy pitcher in your avatar.
I don't think we can do it....
I would rather end the streak in Lexington anyway....
maybe next year lol
UK have changes to beat Tenn a few times. It seem like when they get into overtime they just lay down. Like last year, he could have walk into the endzone if he wanted to. The new coach at Tenn i don;t that much about him, But he would to be a good coach to get the job at UT.
Tenn players don't want to be know as the SR class that beat by UK.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:By the way who is the oldy pitcher in your avatar.
Thats one of my alltime favorite Pirates, Kent Tekulve bro Big Grin
Well, I deff hope it ends this year because I'll be in Knoxville to witness it! I plan on getting tickets the day of the release of them. I really think this is going to be the year. Our D did lose a lot but still have a lot of tanlet coming back sacks leader Evans, and a beast in Trevantan that is going to step in for Johnson and Maxwell and do a fine job, Burton who played most the season last year got a lot of experince when Lendley wasnt 100%. On Offense we got some experinced skill players back Matthews, Cobb, and Locke. Only question I have is O-line, we have to replace lot on the Offense line. If we can get replace the Oline so we can balance out the offense with the passing game, Its going to be a good year of football in the Bluegrass!!!
Hartline for the win!
zaga_fan Wrote:Hartline for the win!

Blah.
MVP2 Wrote:Well, I deff hope it ends this year because I'll be in Knoxville to witness it! I plan on getting tickets the day of the release of them. I really think this is going to be the year. Our D did lose a lot but still have a lot of tanlet coming back sacks leader Evans, and a beast in Trevantan that is going to step in for Johnson and Maxwell and do a fine job, Burton who played most the season last year got a lot of experince when Lendley wasnt 100%. On Offense we got some experinced skill players back Matthews, Cobb, and Locke. Only question I have is O-line, we have to replace lot on the Offense line. If we can get replace the Oline so we can balance out the offense with the passing game, Its going to be a good year of football in the Bluegrass!!!

Sounds like both teams have a similar problem.. Offensive line.. UT is breaking in a whole new group, with very little game experience. They could actually be more talented, as a group, than the O-Line from last year, but just haven't taken enough snaps to know what to expect. Quarterback is another question mark for UT. A Juco(Simms) or a true freshman(Bray) will be the starter. Other than that, UT has talent everywhere else, but could use more depth. I think the defense will be solid with Wilcox. I'm actually really excited to see the defense play and to see the new looks that Wilcox brings. There's a lot of football between Sept. 4th and November, so you never know what to expect.