Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Conference Expansion Has Begun
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just saw on ESPN that Nebraska has agreed to join the Big Ten. A guy from orangebloods.com also reported that Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St. and Colorado are expected to join the Pac-10 to form the nation's first super conference beginning play in 2012.
Pac-10 will be the best football conference if all this is true.
The first domino of many has fallen.
SEC will still be best conference hands down
Just read a lot of things about this on ESPN.com...did not see anything though about Nebraska leaving yet. I did read that Texas is not interested in joining the SEC due to the level of competition...and that is quoted directly from espn. I believe though, the SEC would become the only conference in football that matters if they added Texas and Oklahoma in the west, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech in the east. I would say Florida State over Georgia Tech but espn is reporting the SEC will remain loyal to Florida and not invite either of these schools so Florida can continue to recruit in state with the sale's tag "we are in the SEC." Nebraska and Mizzou joining the Big 10 makes little sense because Nebraska has not been a power house in many years, and Mizzou had a short run with Chase Daniel. Notre Dame joining the Big 10 makes sense considering they play Mich, Mich St, Purdue and Penn State every year anyways. Pac 10 can add Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State & Baylor or Colorado but it does not really make the conference better because Southern Cal, UCLA, Oregon & Washington would not be playing the Big 12 teams at all unless they met in the conference championship due to the size of the two divisions. Also, why would you add Baylor or Colorado who do not have a good football program right now when Boise State and TCU are both on the rise along with Utah. Word is the ACC and Big East are not going to expand at all, but I believe the SEC will end up taking teams from the ACC which will lead to the conferences having to merge. Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa State will probably end up in Conference USA along with Boise State & TCU making a power conference in basketball when you add Memphis to the picture but nothing more and maybe some left overs if the Big East falls apart...giving Conference USA the last laugh after half the conference left for the big east.

The biggest winner from all of this though will be the BCS. When you go from 6 major conferences to 4 mega conferences, picking the two best teams becomes a lot easier and a playoff slips further from reality because the number of teams that will have to play during the regular season or conference championship games. Think about recent years when you was having to pick between Southern Cal, a SEC team and a Big 12 team. The Big 12 team more then likey will be playing Southern Cal every year in the Pac-whatever final, which kills the debate.

Expansion means kiss the possible playoff good bye!
BigBlueBobcatFan Wrote:SEC will still be best conference hands down

It will be close, but definitely not hands down anymore unless the SEC picks up a few teams.
It will definitely be interesting to see how the SEC responds, if the Pac-10 does indeed add those 6 teams.
The SEC will look to expand a couple more teams. I look for possibly Clemson and Ga Tech(front runners). I think WVU and possibly one of the Flordia teams, more than likley FSU. Would like to see Duke or UNC, and NC State jump on in if the ACC was to fold. The Big East and Big 12 could fold all together if alot of things happen.
The SEC will respond. Adding Clemson to SEC would make the rivarly with South Caronlina that much more intense. Then with the addition of maybe a Big East team.
I loathe the idea of these "super conferences"..I HATE the idea..that is going to kill off the bowl chances of those teams that hover around .500 altogether. If Clemson and Ga Tech joins the SEC, that is going to hurt a program like Kentucky..watch and see. I hate the idea of the Pac 10 having 16 teams. Seriously, put Boise State in it so they can go 8-4 or 9-3 every year and we dont have to hear them whine about not getting a chance to play for championships, but there will be several teams to suffer because of these expansions..
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I loathe the idea of these "super conferences"..I HATE the idea..that is going to kill off the bowl chances of those teams that hover around .500 altogether. If Clemson and Ga Tech joins the SEC, that is going to hurt a program like Kentucky..watch and see. I hate the idea of the Pac 10 having 16 teams. Seriously, put Boise State in it so they can go 8-4 or 9-3 every year and we dont have to hear them whine about not getting a chance to play for championships, but there will be several teams to suffer because of these expansions..

I ditto this post. This puts the Boise State's of the future even further out of the picture for a possible cinderella championship season. You will wind up with four major conferences with all of the BCS bids going to these teams. I understand that these four conferences will be putting in what will be the best teams into the country into the the titel picture, but it has now made all other college football teams that play D1 irrelevant. If you do not play in one of the four super conferences, then these teams should not even be considered D1 because they will never play a Super conference team, and they will never be considered for a bowl game that means anything.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I loathe the idea of these "super conferences"..I HATE the idea..that is going to kill off the bowl chances of those teams that hover around .500 altogether. If Clemson and Ga Tech joins the SEC, that is going to hurt a program like Kentucky..watch and see. I hate the idea of the Pac 10 having 16 teams. Seriously, put Boise State in it so they can go 8-4 or 9-3 every year and we dont have to hear them whine about not getting a chance to play for championships, but there will be several teams to suffer because of these expansions..

I agree 100%
Needs to stay the way it is, but money will prevail.
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:Needs to stay the way it is, but money will prevail.

Yep
If these teams do join the PAC-10, why not have the rest of the BIG 12 teams join the SEC. Just get rid of that conference completely.
Kansas City tv station says Texas and Texas A&M to Big Ten, Oklahoma to SEC and Oklahoma State to Pac 10
This is the worst idea EVER! But I guess money will over take everyone. On a unrelated note, Colorado has joined the Pac 10. But for the love of me I cant figure out why they wanna take the big 12 out. They are one of the best conferences.
Wonder were Kansas will end up
Overrated Wrote:Wonder were Kansas will end up

Kansas is the perfect example that all of this expansion is for football and football only.
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:Kansas is the perfect example that all of this expansion is for football and football only.
That my friend, is the simplest, but most effective quote of the day. Great point :Thumbs:
Accordingto the latest reports, Texas A&M is headed to the SEC. The SEC is also looking to Virginia Tech to come in from the east.

I like these additions.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:That my friend, is the simplest, but most effective quote of the day. Great point :Thumbs:

Thanks Hoss. Its really a shame that a school, with a storied basketball program like Kansas, could get left out in the cold.

On a side note, Boise St. is headed to the Mountain West and it appears Nebraska is making it official that they're going to the Big Ten. Also, I just read that Texas will meet on Tuesday to decide their future. It appears that Texas A&M might be on the fence in regards to what they're going to do. From the sound of things, the Texas decision could decide the future of the Big 12.
I assume that the ACC and Big East are the only conference with no rumors of expansion, correct?
I am sure the ACC and Big East will have something happen. Today Texas A&M is rumored to join the SEC, and a few Big 12 teams to join the Pac 10
Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, OK St. are going to the Pac-10
CardinalAlum Wrote:Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, OK St. are going to the Pac-10

I like the way the Pac-10 is shaping up. They are getting the exciting brand of teams. Nebraska fits in the Big 10 well. I'm not sure that there is a team leftover from the Big 12 that fits style wise with the SEC
Stardust Wrote:I like the way the Pac-10 is shaping up. They are getting the exciting brand of teams. Nebraska fits in the Big 10 well. I'm not sure that there is a team leftover from the Big 12 that fits style wise with the SEC

Makes you wonder what is going to happen to Kansas
Kansas + SEC = EPIC Basketball Season =/

Remember this effects all NCAA sports. Not just football
Real Badman Wrote:Kansas + SEC = EPIC Basketball Season =/

Remember this effects all NCAA sports. Not just football

It's not just Basketball either. Kansas does not add anything in any of the other big sports as well as womens sports either.
The Big 12 could have an interesting year in 2011 as teams leave. So far, the committments to leave are Nebraska in 2011 and Colorado in 2012. It looks like teams that go to the Big-10 will take place in 2011 and Pac-10 in 2012. It is being rumored that Kansas and K-State will go to the Mountain West with Boise State and that takes place in 2011. I wonder what happens to the teams that are leftover to play in the 2011 season. Will the BCS keep that a BCS conference in the 2011 season if so many teams leave?
Pages: 1 2