Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Rod Strickland Reassigned; UK Looking for New Assistant
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[URL="http://www.allkyhoops.com/2010/05/rod-strickland-reassigned-uk-looking.html"][B]Kentucky assistant Rod Strickland has been reassigned to an operations/administrative role with the University of Kentucky basketball program. He will now be assigned to a non-coaching position.

UK has released a statement that the move was made upon Strickland's own request so that he would not be forced to travel as much as he has the last year. [/URL][/B]

http://www.allkyhoops.com/2010/05/rod-st...oking.html
Hello Kenny Payne and Hello Terrence Jones.
BCF4L Wrote:Hello Kenny Payne and Hello Terrence Jones.

??
Kenny Payne is a master recruiter for the University of Oregon and the only reason that Terrence Jones was still considering Oregon even after they fired their head coach. Payne and Cal are real close friends and has been rumored for quite some time that Payne wanted to be on the staff with Coach Cal. Now that Strickland has been reassigned, it opens up an assistant position for Payne, which in turn will only help with UK landing Jones.
I wouldn't overlook Tony Delk either, especially if he doesn't get the WKU job.
Calipari is going to receive a lot a heat for this one if UK lands Jones.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Calipari is going to receive a lot a heat for this one if UK lands Jones.

Coach Cal is used to it by now, because there is always someone accusing him of this or that just about every day.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Calipari is going to receive a lot a heat for this one if UK lands Jones.
Why? This dude has nothing to do with Terrence Jones. It's not like he's a family member or some no-name person. The dude has been an assistant for quite some time and is a dang good recruiter. Yes, he has developed a relationship with Terrence Jones, but it's obviously not all that strong considering Jones is choosing between Washington and Kentucky. I do think that it will help Kentucky with Jones, but this will not be a hiring that is solely done to get Terrence Jones to come to Kentucky. There shouldn't be any heat given to Coach Cal for this.
BCF4L Wrote:Why? This dude has nothing to do with Terrence Jones. It's not like he's a family member or some no-name person. The dude has been an assistant for quite some time and is a dang good recruiter. Yes, he has developed a relationship with Terrence Jones, but it's obviously not all that strong considering Jones is choosing between Washington and Kentucky. I do think that it will help Kentucky with Jones, but this will not be a hiring that is solely done to get Terrence Jones to come to Kentucky. There shouldn't be any heat given to Coach Cal for this.

BCF4L Wrote:Kenny Payne is a master recruiter for the University of Oregon and the only reason that Terrence Jones was still considering Oregon even after they fired their head coach. Payne and Cal are real close friends and has been rumored for quite some time that Payne wanted to be on the staff with Coach Cal. Now that Strickland has been reassigned, it opens up an assistant position for Payne, which in turn will only help with UK landing Jones.

Why, you ask? You answered that question yourself.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Coach Cal is used to it by now, because there is always someone accusing him of this or that just about every day.

Ok, if coach cal were at Duke, UNC, kansas, exc....Would you think he is an honest coach and does no wrong? Look at the same recruits and situations if he were at duke, would you think the same of him
theVILLE Wrote:Ok, if coach cal were at Duke, UNC, kansas, exc....Would you think he is an honest coach and does no wrong? Look at the same recruits and situations if he were at duke, would you think the same of him

Dude, the Pope could coach at Duke and all UK fans would hate him. But I see your point, Coach Cal is dirty just like EVERY other coach.
theVILLE Wrote:Ok, if coach cal were at Duke, UNC, kansas, exc....Would you think he is an honest coach and does no wrong? Look at the same recruits and situations if he were at duke, would you think the same of him

That doesn't matter, because Calipari hasn't been proven guilty of anything.

A booster paid Camby while he was at UMASS and someone took Derrick Rose's SAT for him. Memphis should not have been penalized for what happened with Rose and the NCAA clearinghouse are the ones who should be a fault, not the university.

Coach Calipari knows what to say and when to say it. These are usually the slick guys who know how to bend things, but Cal has been given a bad rep for things he had no control over.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:That doesn't matter, because Calipari hasn't been proven guilty of anything.

A booster paid Camby while he was at UMASS and someone took Derrick Rose's SAT for him. Memphis should not have been penalized for what happened with Rose and the NCAA clearinghouse are the ones who should be a fault, not the university.

Coach Calipari knows what to say and when to say it. These are usually the slick guys who know how to bend things, but Cal has been given a bad rep for things he had no control over.

I usually agree with you, and I partially do this time.

However, I cannot make myself believe that Calipari has not done ANY wrong. I realize that the NCAA violations that were CAUGHT were things that Cal did not do.

Cal reminds me of a crime boss. He may not do the "hits" but he has to be the one ordering them. He may not give Camby money, but he may have told the recruiters and boosters to get him here by any means necessary and turned his back on it. He may not have taken the test for Rose, but he could have told people to get him to Memphis by any means necessary.

Calipari may not be covered in mud, but his hands have to be dirty.
lwc Wrote:I usually agree with you, and I partially do this time.

However, I cannot make myself believe that Calipari has not done ANY wrong. I realize that the NCAA violations that were CAUGHT were things that Cal did not do.

Cal reminds me of a crime boss. He may not do the "hits" but he has to be the one ordering them. He may not give Camby money, but he may have told the recruiters and boosters to get him here by any means necessary and turned his back on it. He may not have taken the test for Rose, but he could have told people to get him to Memphis by any means necessary.

And this is the same with ANY other coach, but some UK fans have glasses on that are such a deep shaded blue they can't see it.

I see what you're saying and I don't mean to make it sound as if Calipari has never done anything wrong, but he has yet to be caught red-handed.

No coach follows every NCAA rule and nor does the NCAA catch each and every program doing something they shouldn't. Most universities actually report themselves when a rule is broken rather than the NCAA catching them.

Calipari has the smooth talking dirty deed guy written all over him, just like Pitino has and many other elite coaches also have.

IMHO, everyone outside of Kentucky wants Cal to go down. It's part jealousy and part many other things. But every big-time programs fans want to see it happen and they will continue to accuse him of wrong-doing until the day he dies or the day he is proven guilty of any NCAA infraction(s).
PC_You_Know Wrote:Dude, the Pope could coach at Duke and all UK fans would hate him. But I see your point, Coach Cal is dirty just like EVERY other coach.
:Thumbs:

PC_You_Know Wrote:And this is the same with ANY other coach, but some UK fans have glasses on that are such a deep shaded blue they can't see it.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Why, you ask? You answered that question yourself.
But how is this dirty? Payne was recruiting Jones to Oregon. Like I said, it's not like it's a relative or anything. There is nothing dirty about hiring an assistant coach. Coach Cal and Payne have been friends for years, long before the Jones recruitment.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:That doesn't matter, because Calipari hasn't been proven guilty of anything.

My point, if he were at Duke or UNC would you still take up for him right now...I dont think you would, i think he would be slime ball that cant coach without paying his recruits...My point is you would feel the same way everyother fanbase else does if he were at Duke or somewhere besides UK
theVILLE Wrote:My point, if he were at Duke or UNC would you still take up for him right now...I dont think you would, i think he would be slime ball that cant coach without paying his recruits...My point is you would feel the same way everyother fanbase else does if he were at Duke or somewhere besides UK

No, I wouldn't sit here and defend him because I really wouldn't care if he was the coach at UNC, Duke, Kansas, Louisville, Tennessee, UCLA, etc.

The only coach I care about is the one who is here now.

Fans from other schools can say what they want, but they're jealous of Kentucky and head coach John Calipari.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:No, I wouldn't sit here and defend him because I really wouldn't care if he was the coach at UNC, Duke, Kansas, Louisville, Tennessee, UCLA, etc.

The only coach I care about is the one who is here now.

Fans from other schools can say what they want, but they're jealous of Kentucky and head coach John Calipari.

I'm not jealous, my team has won 4 national titles since I've been alive. I'm more than happy with what my team has accomplished.
This will be a great hire if Payne comes