Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pikeville College is loading up!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Pikeville College has added the following players to their basketball team in the past month:

Eric Stidham, Buckhorn
Logan Hill, Burgin
Chris Noble, Perry Central
Cody Hunter, Rowan County
Josh Whitaker, Hazard
Tyler Newsome, Shelby Valley
Dieb Gross, Pike Central
Chris Barlow, Northern Virginia CC
Shane Pressley, Council HS, VA
Derek Hess, Grundy HS, VA

Plus two seniors transferring in..

Quincy Hankins-Cole, University of Nebraska
Yan Moukoury, Northern KY Univ.

That's new 12 players in one year! After adding the new incoming players to their current roster; I'm sure that will give them plenty players to fill the JV and regular rosters.

I'm going to make the assumption several of the incoming freshman will be roster players for the new JV team that Coach Wells is starting this upcoming season.

The addition of the JV team will only strengthen the program.
Whittaker and Newsome, IMO, won't be on that JV team.
I'd say that Whitaker may be the only one of the freshman that will get varsity time.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I'd say that Whitaker may be the only one of the freshman that will get varsity time.

It's just my opinion, but PC didn't have a good 3-point shooting team last year, and depending on how he adjusts, Tyler Newsome could provide that.
PC_You_Know Wrote:It's just my opinion, but PC didn't have a good 3-point shooting team last year, and depending on how he adjusts, Tyler Newsome could provide that.

Why of course he will he's from Shelby Valley. He will probably transfer out to UK after next season....Don't you think PC Don't know??
superfreak Wrote:Why of course he will he's from Shelby Valley. He will probably transfer out to UK after next season....Don't you think PC Don't know??

I was thinking more like he would go to Duke, two years at PC two at Duke. I mean considering I go to PC and watched all the home games, I have a decent opinion of their game.
Seems like PC is stocking that JV team and should have really really good shot to make some noise in the NAIA tourney. This maybe coach Wells last year before a bigger school comes a knocking.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Whittaker and Newsome, IMO, won't be on that JV team.

I think chris noble is a better shooter and defender than newsome.
wood_chuck Wrote:I think chris noble is a better shooter and defender than newsome.

Only got to see him play 1 time, but I know what Tyler and Whittaker are capable of so I only mentioned them.
Josh Whitaker is the ONLY one of these guys ready for the College Level.
warmachine Wrote:Josh Whitaker is the ONLY one of these guys ready for the College Level.

I totally agree!
The Hess kid from Grundy is a great kid and will be a good player for Pikeville.
goodguy Wrote:Pikeville College has added the following players to their basketball team in the past month:

Eric Stidham, Buckhorn
Logan Hill, Burgin
Josh Whitaker, Hazard
Dieb Gross, Pike Central

Plus two seniors transferring in..

That's new 12 players in one year! After adding the new incoming players to their current roster; I'm sure that will give them plenty players to fill the JV and regular rosters.

I'm going to make the assumption several of the incoming freshman will be roster players for the new JV team that Coach Wells is starting this upcoming season.

The addition of the JV team will only strengthen the program.

Now add......

Nick Noble, Breathitt County

That makes 13 new players in one year! Sounds like UK!:yikes:
goodguy Wrote:Now add......

That makes 13 new players in one year!:yikes:

Not too much to be shocked about considering they're starting a JV team.
wood_chuck Wrote:I think chris noble is a better shooter and defender than newsome.
Agreed.
warmachine Wrote:Josh Whitaker is the ONLY one of these guys ready for the College Level.

Yep.
Add number 14.....

Transfer,
Rickey Young, West Virginia Tech

He has to sit out this upcoming year 2010-2011

But, will have two years remaining after sitting one year.
I have heard that Pikeville is bringing in a bunch of D1 transfers to play on the varsity. Most of these guys listed above will play on the JV but that is a good place to work on your skills. Whitaker will probably play on the varsity as a backup to Hicks.
new guy Wrote:I have heard that Pikeville is bringing in a bunch of D1 transfers to play on the varsity. Most of these guys listed above will play on the JV but that is a good place to work on your skills. Whitaker will probably play on the varsity as a backup to Hicks.

They just signed a D-1 transfer PG, I'd say Whttaker is now down to JV as well.
PC_You_Know Wrote:They just signed a D-1 transfer PG, I'd say Whttaker is now down to JV as well.

Addition #15

Pikeville College has signed Youngstown State transfer Vance Cooksey for the 2010 season.

Cooksey is a 6-0 point guard from Marian Catholic High School in Chicago, Illinois.

He averaged 5.3 points, 2.3 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game last season at Youngstown State, an NCAA Division I program in the Horizon League. Cooksey played in all 30 games for the Penguins last season.

"We are very excited to add a player of Vance’s credentials and experiences," said Pikeville College head coach Kelly Wells. "Vance is a true point guard with the ability to score and distribute the basketball. He is a floor leader who is all about the TEAM and winning. He brings great academic credentials along with great basketball IQ. We anticipate Vance being an immediate impact on our team!"

Cooksey played three seasons at Youngstown State and will enter Pikeville's program as a senior.
Updated list of signees at Pikeville for 2010-2011 season....

Eric Stidham, Buckhorn
Logan Hill, Burgin

Josh Whitaker, Hazard
Dieb Gross, Pike Central

Plus three seniors transferring in..

Vance Cooksey, Youngstown State

That's fifteen new players, add them to the returning 10 players on the current roster, that makes 25 on the roster. That's actually what many schools carry for JV and Varsity teams.

The only problem is the for the 10 freshmen when they become upperclassmen.
goodguy Wrote:Updated list of signees at Pikeville for 2010-2011 season....

Eric Stidham, Buckhorn
Logan Hill, Burgin

Josh Whitaker, Hazard
Dieb Gross, Pike Central

Plus three seniors transferring in..

Vance Cooksey, Youngstown State

That's fifteen new players, add them to the returning 10 players on the current roster, that makes 25 on the roster. That's actually what many schools carry for JV and Varsity teams.

The only problem is the for the 10 freshmen when they become upperclassmen.

There won't be a problem. The boys will play JV, and when it's time, they will move to the Varsity team, if it's past their play days on the JV team and they haven't developed, their playing days at PC will be over.
PC_You_Know Wrote:There won't be a problem. The boys will play JV, and when it's time, they will move to the Varsity team, if it's past their play days on the JV team and they haven't developed, their playing days at PC will be over.

Ok, maybe half of the freshmen don't develop, the half that do, will have to constantly contend with the Division 1 transfers coming in during their Jr. or Sr. years. Do you think these three Seniors coming in next year will sit the bench? No way, they will take playing time away from the freshman players that started three years ago.

This is one thing that I have noticed at schools like Pikeville, Georgetown and The Cumberlands. Not all NAIA schools recruit like those three coaches, seems like there is no loyalty to the boys that come up through the ranks. Most DII and NAIA schools take transfers and recruit transfers but not as much as those three KY NAIA coaches do.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with it; my philosophy is may the best players play and the others work to become the best.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I'd say that Whitaker may be the only one of the freshman that will get varsity time.

PC_You_Know Wrote:I was thinking more like he would go to Duke, two years at PC two at Duke. I mean considering I go to PC and watched all the home games, I have a decent opinion of their game.

Are you all saying that Pikeville got a player that Calipari and Coach K wanted?:thatsfunn
Old Henry Man Wrote:Are you all saying that Pikeville got a player that Calipari and Coach K wanted?:thatsfunn

I was using sarcasm in response to a sarcastic post. Read all of the posts next time before you accuse.
most will never make it past their freshman year playing. Coach Wells deserves a lot of credit for starting up a JV team. If he can find one kid to move up to his varsity team, he has accomplished what he wanted.
goodguy Wrote:Ok, maybe half of the freshmen don't develop, the half that do, will have to constantly contend with the Division 1 transfers coming in during their Jr. or Sr. years. Do you think these three Seniors coming in next year will sit the bench? No way, they will take playing time away from the freshman players that started three years ago.

This is one thing that I have noticed at schools like Pikeville, Georgetown and The Cumberlands. Not all NAIA schools recruit like those three coaches, seems like there is no loyalty to the boys that come up through the ranks. Most DII and NAIA schools take transfers and recruit transfers but not as much as those three KY NAIA coaches do.

Honestly, I don't have a problem with it; my philosophy is may the best players play and the others work to become the best.

You obviously don't watch Pikeville College much. I do believe even with all the D1 players that Wells has brought in Justin Hicks has started every game since he's been there and passed the 1000 point mark last season. I would consider that loyalty wouldn't you?
superfreak Wrote:You obviously don't watch Pikeville College much. I do believe even with all the D1 players that Wells has brought in Justin Hicks has started every game since he's been there and passed the 1000 point mark last season. I would consider that loyalty wouldn't you?

Yes, I have watched Pikeville play. Did I mention Hicks would not play? No, I didn't. All I'm saying is with all the D1 senior transfers coming in, it will take playing time from the players that have come up through the ranks. But, I will guarantee that if they are better than Hicks, it will effect his playing time.
dieb gross should do good for the bears as well, the kid is only about 6 feet tall and he can jam it home, very athletic as well. whitaker imo will do very well too. good luck pikeville!
This belongs in the college thread
PC_You_Know Wrote:I was using sarcasm in response to a sarcastic post. Read all of the posts next time before you accuse.
Read his post before YOU falsely accuse someone!
Pages: 1 2