Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: According to Reports.......Seattle Columnist Slams Coach Cal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"According to Reports" is what Steve Kelley, Seattle Times staff columnist, said as he begin his bashing of Coach Cal talking to Terrence Jones.

Then after their announcements, according to reports, Jones showed enough class to call Kentucky coach John Calipari to tell Calipari he was going to Washington.
"Who knows what Calipari told Jones? Who knows what suggestions and promises were made? Who knows what game-changing strategy Calipari was employing?"

As soon as Steve Kelley started his article, it had a tone to it, that you knew wasn't going to be good. Coach Cal is getting bashed all because of what one reporter wants to say is "According to Reports." I mean are you for real dude? Reports? This Steve Kelly was not even in Portland, OR, when Terrence Jones made his announcement to play for Washington. But it gets better.

"Already he(Calipari) is 1 for 1 against the Huskies this recruiting season, signing Turkish big man Enes Kanter, who earlier was assumed to be going to Washington."

Again, he uses "assumed" to make his statement.

But wait, this one is even better: " Maybe Calipari's talk with Jones wasn't against NCAA rules, but it was sleazy."

How can this guy call it sleazy? Because all he is got is an "According to Reports", and it sounds like is "assuming again". Check out the entire article, read it, and tell me what you think. I will include the columnists email as well.

http://www.nationofblue.com/according-re...-cal-1036/
Its funny how such a great coach and ambassador to the game of basketball can be so widely hated. Get over it!!!!! Players want to play for Cal, 'cause in many situations they know it is the best choice for them and their career. I understand Cal probably tells them what they want to hear, but he must not be lieing to them because they continue to praise him even after they are in the NBA. Yes, NBA is in bold because thats where most players who play for coach Cal end up. Also Cal has the ability to get players ready for the NBA in one year, and Jones has made it clear he hopes to be a one and done player. Im sure coach Cal probably reminded Jones of these facts. He probably stoped and decided to think about what was best for him and not what was best for his friends, and people who's feelings he did not want to hurt. Players commit to schools and then change their mind all the time. Seriously, it happens all the time. But when a player commits to play for a school and then decides to play for Kentucky instead, everyone automatically assumes that something low and under the table happened. They need to start assuming that coach Cal is probably the best recruiter in college basketball history, and Kentucky has the number one basketball program in the history of NCAA basketball. All this going along with the best fans in the country. Top notch players want to play for Kentucky. No Cheating needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FootballManiac Wrote:Its funny how such a great coach and ambassador to the game of basketball can be so widely hated. Get over it!!!!! Players want to play for Cal, 'cause in many situations they know it is the best choice for them and their career. I understand Cal probably tells them what they want to hear, but he must not be lieing to them because they continue to praise him even after they are in the NBA. Yes, NBA is in bold because thats where most players who play for coach Cal end up. Also Cal has the ability to get players ready for the NBA in one year, and Jones has made it clear he hopes to be a one and done player. Im sure coach Cal probably reminded Jones of these facts. He probably stoped and decided to think about what was best for him and not what was best for his friends, and people who's feelings he did not want to hurt. Players commit to schools and then change their mind all the time. Seriously, it happens all the time. But when a player commits to play for a school and then decides to play for Kentucky instead, everyone automatically assumes that something low and under the table happened. They need to start assuming that coach Cal is probably the best recruiter in college basketball history, and Kentucky has the number one basketball program in the history of NCAA basketball. All this going along with the best fans in the country. Top notch players want to play for Kentucky. No Cheating needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can a coach with TWO final fours vacated under his watch be such a great ambassador to the game of basketball? I thought coach Cal was sleazy before he came to UK, I still think that he is still sleazy as the coach at UK. I have been a fan of UK nearly all of my life. I really did not want UK to hire Calipari because I believe ultimately he destroy what has been restored since UK went on probation in 1988. I do not care if his players make it to the NBA. I want team that will championships and not be vacated.
Jarons Wrote:How can a coach with TWO final fours vacated under his watch be such a great ambassador to the game of basketball? I thought coach Cal was sleazy before he came to UK, I still think that he is still sleazy as the coach at UK. I have been a fan of UK nearly all of my life. I really did not want UK to hire Calipari because I believe ultimately he destroy what has been restored since UK went on probation in 1988. I do not care if his players make it to the NBA. I want team that will championships and not be vacated.

:worthy:Amen Jarons, Amen :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs: You have said my exact feelings that I have been blasted for making on here several times.

I could not stand Coach Cal and his way of doing business. I didn't like the way he did things or carried himself and always was suspicisous of his actions. I'm fairly confident that all the "Cal Lovers" felt the exact same way until he became the head coach. Now all is forgotten, and I mean ALL!

Now everyone wants to throw out the "Nothing has been proven" argument, which only means he has not been found guilty. Proof and guilty do not always mean the same thing. You can be guilty without being proven so!

Now, I put on my UK hat. UK is the team that I love. I am true blue, thus, I love this program and all that it represents. I want nothing more than Champsionship banners to hang from the rafters of the facility that I pay good money to come in for the team which all of my support goes to. It makes it a dilemma to cheer for a coach that I dispised, yet I do. I have to.

I am very supportive of the Wildcats, and am only in hope that the Coach, Administrators and players all to the "right" thing. I don't have to like those in charge, but as long as they do the right thing, I will support them. Will I do it with a hint of suspicion? Absolutely!

It's the same as the election of the President. I did not vote for the current president, but, he is MY president whether I like it or not. I have to support the president now. I have to wish for him to be successful and do the "right thing". If not, who pays? Me, my family, and all of the citizens. So even though I don't like the president, as an American I have to wish him success. As a UK fan, I have to wish Cal success, otherwise I lose out as a UK fan. It does not mean that I have to like Cal though!
Jarons Wrote:How can a coach with TWO final fours vacated under his watch be such a great ambassador to the game of basketball? I thought coach Cal was sleazy before he came to UK, I still think that he is still sleazy as the coach at UK. I have been a fan of UK nearly all of my life. I really did not want UK to hire Calipari because I believe ultimately he destroy what has been restored since UK went on probation in 1988. I do not care if his players make it to the NBA. I want team that will championships and not be vacated.

He's definitely hard to trust, noway denying that.
Stardust Wrote::worthy:Amen Jarons, Amen :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs: You have said my exact feelings that I have been blasted for making on here several times.

I could not stand Coach Cal and his way of doing business. I didn't like the way he did things or carried himself and always was suspicisous of his actions. I'm fairly confident that all the "Cal Lovers" felt the exact same way until he became the head coach. Now all is forgotten, and I mean ALL!

Now everyone wants to throw out the "Nothing has been proven" argument, which only means he has not been found guilty. Proof and guilty do not always mean the same thing. You can be guilty without being proven so!

Now, I put on my UK hat. UK is the team that I love. I am true blue, thus, I love this program and all that it represents. I want nothing more than Champsionship banners to hang from the rafters of the facility that I pay good money to come in for the team which all of my support goes to. It makes it a dilemma to cheer for a coach that I dispised, yet I do. I have to.

I am very supportive of the Wildcats, and am only in hope that the Coach, Administrators and players all to the "right" thing. I don't have to like those in charge, but as long as they do the right thing, I will support them. Will I do it with a hint of suspicion? Absolutely!

It's the same as the election of the President. I did not vote for the current president, but, he is MY president whether I like it or not. I have to support the president now. I have to wish for him to be successful and do the "right thing". If not, who pays? Me, my family, and all of the citizens. So even though I don't like the president, as an American I have to wish him success. As a UK fan, I have to wish Cal success, otherwise I lose out as a UK fan. It does not mean that I have to like Cal though!

:Thumbs:
That excuse kills me!
If Calipari is an ambassador for the game of basketball then theres something very wrong with the system.
jarons Wrote:how can a coach with two final fours vacated under his watch be such a great ambassador to the game of basketball? I thought coach cal was sleazy before he came to uk, i still think that he is still sleazy as the coach at uk. I have been a fan of uk nearly all of my life. I really did not want uk to hire calipari because i believe ultimately he destroy what has been restored since uk went on probation in 1988. I do not care if his players make it to the nba. I want team that will championships and not be vacated.

camby took money, the ncaa cleared rose to play?????? Right? Should cal have said no son u cant play, for some reason i feel something is wrong? Give me a break. Duke, kansas both have been caught cheating, roy williams and coach k, and not ****ing **** was done. Because they play favorites. Cal was at umass and they wanted to set an example.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:camby took money, the ncaa cleared rose to play?????? Right? Should cal have said no son u cant play, for some reason i feel something is wrong? Give me a break. Duke, kansas both have been caught cheating, roy williams and coach k, and not ****ing **** was done. Because they play favorites. Cal was at umass and they wanted to set an example.

So why just pick on Cal? Again, it's more a matter of what can be proved versus being guilty. If you want to take the above argument, then why did Big Ben get a suspension? It was a case of no evidence that "WE" no about surfaced, nor was there evidence to convict him. Yet, the NFL felt there was enough clarity in what happened to take action themselves. It is a clear indication to me that Cal was in-part of the stripping of Final Fours due to some action that did not present enough evidence to on him of direct rules violations. It does not mean he was guiltless in either knowing or approving such inappropriate actions.
If Coach Cal were not at UK, I would loath him, but he is so I like him. Is he another Jerry Tarkanian? I don't know.
Westside Wrote:If Coach Cal were not at UK, I would loath him, but he is so I like him. Is he another Jerry Tarkanian? I don't know.

Good post. I loathed him prior to coming to UK. I just don't trust him now that he's here. I will be the first to say I hope he brings ten titles to UK. I would love nothing more than Cal to challenge John Wooden as the greatest champsionship coach in history. That would mean the Wildcats were the benefactors. As for whether I will ever like him, only time will tell.
innocent until proven guilty...Only in america...
Stardust Wrote:Now everyone wants to throw out the "Nothing has been proven" argument, which only means he has not been found guilty. Proof and guilty do not always mean the same thing. You can be guilty without being proven so!

The argument is not "nothing has been proven". The argument I make is that Cal is not to blame, which is completely different.

Your point is that since some people say that Cal had something to do with the Camby or Rose situations, then that makes him guilty. Why? I mean, I can throw around baseless accusations at people too, but it doesn't mean there is any substance to them.

Again, look at each situation. What reason is there to think Cal had anything to with either one? In regards to Camby, why does everyone say "Cal's the coach, he should have known" that he took money from an agent? He can't monitor every move of every player the whole time they're in college, it's physically impossible. I can't watch my 6-year-old every hour of the day, so I don't know if he's at school eating glue. I can tell him not to, but in the end I have to just trust that he won't do it when he's out of my sight.

And with Rose, again, how is that situation Cal's fault? How was he supposed to know that Rose didn't take the test, if that's indeed what happened? Unless he personally called the SAT folks and volunteered to proctor the location where Rose was taking the test, there's no way to know. A coach can't follow all his recruits when they go take the SAT, again, it's physically impossible (and probably illegal). If the NCAA clears a player to participate, you play him. How is Cal to blame for dishonesty on Rose's part?
theVILLE Wrote:innocent until proven guilty...Only in america...

That's EXACTLY right, and that's part of what makes this the greatest country in the world. :redboxer:
More Cowbell Wrote:The argument is not "nothing has been proven". The argument I make is that Cal is not to blame, which is completely different.

Your point is that since some people say that Cal had something to do with the Camby or Rose situations, then that makes him guilty. Why? I mean, I can throw around baseless accusations at people too, but it doesn't mean there is any substance to them.

Again, look at each situation. What reason is there to think Cal had anything to with either one? In regards to Camby, why does everyone say "Cal's the coach, he should have known" that he took money from an agent? He can't monitor every move of every player the whole time they're in college, it's physically impossible. I can't watch my 6-year-old every hour of the day, so I don't know if he's at school eating glue. I can tell him not to, but in the end I have to just trust that he won't do it when he's out of my sight.

And with Rose, again, how is that situation Cal's fault? How was he supposed to know that Rose didn't take the test, if that's indeed what happened? Unless he personally called the SAT folks and volunteered to proctor the location where Rose was taking the test, there's no way to know. A coach can't follow all his recruits when they go take the SAT, again, it's physically impossible (and probably illegal). If the NCAA clears a player to participate, you play him. How is Cal to blame for dishonesty on Rose's part?

That's being just as naive. I can offer the same exact challenge, what makes you think he knew "NOTHING" of either incident? What is he a pariah? When has anyone said glowing things about him? Skunks can be smelt even if not seen.
Stardust Wrote:That's being just as naive. I can offer the same exact challenge, what makes you think he knew "NOTHING" of either incident? What is he a pariah? When has anyone said glowing things about him? Skunks can be smelt even if not seen.

I'm not being naive. I just deal in truths and facts, not guesses and accusations. And as much as everyone wants Cal to be guilty, don't you think that if he had anything to do with it that someone would have found at least some shred of eveidence?

I am not saying that I am 100% positive he knew nothing of either situation. I'm just saying there is much more of a chance that he didn't know, than that he did. And considering the extremely small likelihood that he could've known about either situation, it doesn't make much sense to just assume that he is guilty.
^ Lot of people said they didn't know about Enron and were never found GUILTY either...
I heard, I read, they said!
Who cares as long as he doesnt get caught at UK!
RavenBoy Wrote:Who cares as long as he doesnt get caught at UK!

Actually, that is my stance :Cheerlead
Stardust Wrote:^ Lot of people said they didn't know about Enron and were never found GUILTY either...

Maybe they weren't... :biggrin:
More Cowbell Wrote:That's EXACTLY right, and that's part of what makes this the greatest country in the world. :redboxer:

Yelp