Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Blue and White Game Notes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For all the talk about the three-way battle for the starting quarterback position, it was a sophomore battling for the backup running back position that caught the eye of most fans during Saturday's annual Blue/White Spring Game.

Behind an offensive line that features four new starters, the Kentucky ground game rushed for 307 yards and two touchdowns in front of approximately 9,000 fans at Commonwealth Stadium.

Sophomore Donald Russell, one of two tailbacks vying for the running back position behind senior Derrick Locke, carried the ball nine times Saturday for 118 yards and two touchdowns in leading the offense (Blue team) to a 60-25 win over the defense (White team). more

Its looking like we are going to have a helluva strong rushing game this year with Locke, Russell and Williams
Man, UK is going to get ran all over this year. Lost some good players in the front 7. I can't see them winning over 6games this year, with the weaker than usual schedule.
i believe Uk will do alright barring anything major happen
Aslan Wrote:Man, UK is going to get ran all over this year. Lost some good players in the front 7. I can't see them winning over 6games this year, with the weaker than usual schedule.

It sickens me that I have to agree. For me the rushing stats have more to do with losing players like Peters, Johnson and Lindley than it does having a no-name Sophomore killing the defense for 110+.
lwc Wrote:It sickens me that I have to agree. For me the rushing stats have more to do with losing players like Peters, Johnson and Lindley than it does having a no-name Sophomore killing the defense for 110+.

That no name sophmore was one of our highly noted recruits from a year ago, the games in which he did play more than one or two snaps he rushed on avg for 8 yards one game he rushed on avg for 11. The kid is good, yes part of this has to do with the defense but he is a quick back with alot of power as well. He is one of those all around backs that we have needs he can catch the ball out, hit the hole quick and can run players over in the second level. With him and Locke this could be our best backfield in a LONG time. With a fairly decent OL this team could do very well on the ground. Defense does need alot of work but we have a long season ahead of us.
I was in attendance and had a really good time. I didnt like the game format, I would have much rathered had the format that other schools have had. 1st Team offense vs. 2nd team defense....2 team offense vs. 1 st team defense...but ehh.

Notes that are just my opinion.

-We should be able to run the ball fairly well. Donald Russell looked really strong running down field. CoShiek Williams is SEC fast. He is gonna be quite the scat back. I didnt see Locke get a single carry.

-Winston Guy looked like an ALL-SEC caliber player. He moved/reacted like one as well. He will be the best player on our D, and the second best player overall behind Cobb.

-We should have a very competitive recieving group. Cobb, Mathews, Larod King, Aaron Boyd give a respectful group. The best since the 07' team. Which had 3 future pro's. Not saying we have that type of talent, but I like what i see.

-The Senior in High School, Justin Henderson will help us next year. He looks very good. He was playing for Injuried Dequin Evans. He IMO will start next season.

-The QB situation is still not solved. IMO Newton looked the best, but all three struggled. If had to rank them on the spring game performence...I would say Newton-Hartline-Moss.

-Part of the reason that the QB's didnt look that great is because the UK secondary is good...actually **** good. Winston Guy is legit. Paul Warford is a two year starter, and Randall Burden is a returning SS. That gives UK 3 of 4 secondary players coming back.

-Im still very excited to see a couple of our incoming freshman. IMO Alex Smith(4* TE) will start and compete for catches from day 1. He should start against Louisville. Also Brandon Grainer will get some touches at RB as another change of pace guy, also as a KR across from Cobb.
The Iceboxx Wrote:I was in attendance and had a really good time. I didnt like the game format, I would have much rathered had the format that other schools have had. 1st Team offense vs. 2nd team defense....2 team offense vs. 1 st team defense...but ehh.

Notes that are just my opinion.

-We should be able to run the ball fairly well. Donald Russell looked really strong running down field. CoShiek Williams is SEC fast. He is gonna be quite the scat back. I didnt see Locke get a single carry.

-Winston Guy looked like an ALL-SEC caliber player. He moved/reacted like one as well. He will be the best player on our D, and the second best player overall behind Cobb.

-We should have a very competitive recieving group. Cobb, Mathews, Larod King, Aaron Boyd give a respectful group. The best since the 07' team. Which had 3 future pro's. Not saying we have that type of talent, but I like what i see.

-The Senior in High School, Justin Henderson will help us next year. He looks very good. He was playing for Injuried Dequin Evans. He IMO will start next season.

-The QB situation is still not solved. IMO Newton looked the best, but all three struggled. If had to rank them on the spring game performence...I would say Newton-Hartline-Moss.

-Part of the reason that the QB's didnt look that great is because the UK secondary is good...actually **** good. Winston Guy is legit. Paul Warford is a two year starter, and Randall Burden is a returning SS. That gives UK 3 of 4 secondary players coming back.

-Im still very excited to see a couple of our incoming freshman. IMO Alex Smith(4* TE) will start and compete for catches from day 1. He should start against Louisville. Also Brandon Grainer will get some touches at RB as another change of pace guy, also as a KR across from Cobb.

I agree with most of that. Although I really think that Hartline looked better at quarterback than the other two. Morgan Newton can not throw pics inside the ten if he wants to see the field. Scrimmage or not that just can't happen.
I do agree about that INT on the jump ball, but come on....uhhh Winston Guy made a one handed grab to pick the ball off in the back off the endzone.
The Iceboxx Wrote:I do agree about that INT on the jump ball, but come on....uhhh Winston Guy made a one handed grab to pick the ball off in the back off the endzone.

Yes but it was still under thrown. He has to put the ball where only his receiver can get to it