Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Biggest disappointments of all time?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Whos your alls biggest disapointments of all time? :please:
UK and WVU
The 1996 Kentucky Wildcats for losing to UMass and Miss St.:popcorn:
Is this thread aimed at individuals, or teams....and is it supposed to be about UK?

If so....my biggest UK dissapointment is the 2004 UK recruiting class.

-2004 UK signee class.
---Much like the UK class of 2009, this class was the number one class in the country, and acourding to the current star* rating...one of the greatest classes of all time. Rajon Rondo, Randolph Morris, and Joe Crawford were all 5* players that were three of the top 15 players in the country. Also in the class of 2004 were players Ramel Bradley, Patrick Sparks, and Adam Williams.

---Rajon Rondo was def. the best player in the class. He has went on to have a very good young pro career , and was named to the 2010 NBA all star game. Rondo never found his groove a UK. He was insane on defense, but never could find a shot, and only avg. around 9 PPG for the wildcats.

---Randolph Morris had one of the strangest college careers that I have ever heard of. Randoplh had good seasons his freshman and sophomore year. Putting up around 12 ppg. and 7 RPG. Not quite the numbers you would expect from the #2 rated Post player in the country outa HS ( refrence to DeMarcus Cousins, who was ranked at the same spot in 09). Then Randolph turns pro after his soph. season, but doest get drafted. Returns to the cats midseason in 06', just to turn pro again after his junior season. He barely got drafted his second try, and has had little sucsess in the NBA.

---Joe Crawford was the best player out of this group at UK. While Rondo was a lot better when he turned pro, Crawford was the cornerstone for UK for a couple season when he became an upperclassman. Crawford just never could put UK over the hump. He was the # 2 ranked guard in the country out of HS, # 9 player overall. Crawford never lived up this high ranking IMO never being on a team at UK that made it past the final four. Crawford got drafted by the Lakers barely, as he was one of the last picks in 2008. Of my knowlege he never has had a pro career, and must be in the D-league. These are back-court players that were ranked lower than Joe Crawford--- Aaron Afalo/Rajon Rondo/Boobie Gibson/Jordan Farmar/A.J. Price/Josh Shipp/Drew Neitzel/Taureen Gree/Ramel Bradley/Chris Lofton/Rodney Stucky/ and Courtney Lee.....WOW

My biggest individual dissapointment for UK is Randolph Morris. While he did put up a couple of season where he averaged double figures. Morris was supposed to be the next great big man. He was as highly ranked, if not ranked higher than current UK big men Demarcus Cousins, and Patrick Patterson. Morris was just a strange person, and was one of the oddest sports stories of 2006 when he declared for the draft, and seriously went undrafted. These are big men in 04' class ranked lower than Morris --Lamarcus Aldridge/Sasha Kaun/Goran Suton/Luke Bonner/Marvin Wlliams/Big Baby Davis/DJ White/Al Hortford/Joakim Noah/
The Iceboxx Wrote:Is this thread aimed at individuals, or teams....and is it supposed to be about UK?

If so....my biggest UK dissapointment is the 2004 UK recruiting class.

-2004 UK signee class.
---Much like the UK class of 2009, this class was the number one class in the country, and acourding to the current star* rating...one of the greatest classes of all time. Rajon Rondo, Randolph Morris, and Joe Crawford were all 5* players that were three of the top 15 players in the country. Also in the class of 2004 were players Ramel Bradley, Patrick Sparks, and Adam Williams.

---Rajon Rondo was def. the best player in the class. He has went on to have a very good young pro career , and was named to the 2010 NBA all star game. Rondo never found his groove a UK. He was insane on defense, but never could find a shot, and only avg. around 9 PPG for the wildcats.

---Randolph Morris had one of the strangest college careers that I have ever heard of. Randoplh had good seasons his freshman and sophomore year. Putting up around 12 ppg. and 7 RPG. Not quite the numbers you would expect from the #2 rated Post player in the country outa HS ( refrence to DeMarcus Cousins, who was ranked at the same spot in 09). Then Randolph turns pro after his soph. season, but doest get drafted. Returns to the cats midseason in 06', just to turn pro again after his junior season. He barely got drafted his second try, and has had little sucsess in the NBA.

---Joe Crawford was the best player out of this group at UK. While Rondo was a lot better when he turned pro, Crawford was the cornerstone for UK for a couple season when he became an upperclassman. Crawford just never could put UK over the hump. He was the # 2 ranked guard in the country out of HS, # 9 player overall. Crawford never lived up this high ranking IMO never being on a team at UK that made it past the final four. Crawford got drafted by the Lakers barely, as he was one of the last picks in 2008. Of my knowlege he never has had a pro career, and must be in the D-league. These are back-court players that were ranked lower than Joe Crawford--- Aaron Afalo/Rajon Rondo/Boobie Gibson/Jordan Farmar/A.J. Price/Josh Shipp/Drew Neitzel/Taureen Gree/Ramel Bradley/Chris Lofton/Rodney Stucky/ and Courtney Lee.....WOW

My biggest individual dissapointment for UK is Randolph Morris. While he did put up a couple of season where he averaged double figures. Morris was supposed to be the next great big man. He was as highly ranked, if not ranked higher than current UK big men Demarcus Cousins, and Patrick Patterson. Morris was just a strange person, and was one of the oddest sports stories of 2006 when he declared for the draft, and seriously went undrafted. These are big men in 04' class ranked lower than Morris --Lamarcus Aldridge/Sasha Kaun/Goran Suton/Luke Bonner/Marvin Wlliams/Big Baby Davis/DJ White/Al Hortford/Joakim Noah/

Good post!
The 1991 UNLV Runnin Rebels. The '90 team, with the same players, beat Duke in the national championship 103-73. Everybody returned. In my honest and humble opinion, the ONLY team I ever saw that could beat the '96 Cats. Anderson Hunt, Greg Anthony, Stacy Augmon, Larry Johnson. Absolutely the best team Ive ever saw. They coasted through the regular season undefeated and into the NCAA tournament, all the way to the final four. At I believe 32-0, they faced an overwhelmed Duke team.........................and lost Sad Duke upset the Rebs in one of the biggest shockers of all, 79-77, and Duke would go on to beat Kansas for the national title.
Whichever year it was that UK was the #1 seed and lost to UAB in the second round. That was depressing!
My biggest disappointments in sports were....

1989 Fiesta Bowl....Major Harris goes down on the third play of the game thus ending WVU's legit shot at a national title in football losing to Notre Dame.

1996 vs Miami...Tramain Mack blocks a punt in the final 90 seconds and is returned for a Miami TD. WVU loses 10-7. WVU was 7-0 at that point in the season.

12/1/07.....Pitt beats WVU 13-9

2006 NCAA Basketball Tournament....WVU loses to Texas in the Sweet Sixteen on a last second shot. It ended the careers of Mike Gansey, Kevin Pittsnogle, JD Collins, Patrick Beilein, and Joe Herber.

Game 7 of 1992 NLCS.....Pittsburgh is up 2-1 on Atlanta with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th inning. Francisco Cabrerra(sp) gets a little base hit and the slowest man ever in baseball Sid (Coffee and) Bream rounds third and scores. Atlanta beats Pittsburgh 3-2.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:My biggest disappointments in sports were....

1989 Fiesta Bowl....Major Harris goes down on the third play of the game thus ending WVU's legit shot at a national title in football losing to Notre Dame.

1996 vs Miami...Tramain Mack blocks a punt in the final 90 seconds and is returned for a Miami TD. WVU loses 10-7. WVU was 7-0 at that point in the season.

12/1/07.....Pitt beats WVU 13-9

2006 NCAA Basketball Tournament....WVU loses to Texas in the Sweet Sixteen on a last second shot. It ended the careers of Mike Gansey, Kevin Pittsnogle, JD Collins, Patrick Beilein, and Joe Herber.

Game 7 of 1992 NLCS.....Pittsburgh is up 2-1 on Atlanta with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th inning. Francisco Cabrerra(sp) gets a little base hit and the slowest man ever in baseball Sid (Coffee and) Bream rounds third and scores. Atlanta beats Pittsburgh 3-2.
Oh man, I thought the thread was based on overall disappointments. As far as my personal disappointments goes, its simple;
Superbowl XXX. O'Donnell's INT (second one) to Larry Brown with the Steelers down 20-17 and driving, sealing their fate, losing the the Cowboys.
Game 7 of the '92 NLCS. Pirates up 2-0 going into the bottom of the 9th. Drabek pitches a beautiful game, and is taken out...Stan Belinda comes in to close out the game, with a 2-0 lead, couldnt hold it and yep, Francisco Cabrera, who had all of 6 hits in the regular season or something ridiculous like that, lines one into left center, and Bream came around for the game winning run. I still, to this day, argue till Im red in the face, that Bream was out. I will never, for as long as I live, forget that shot of my hero, Andy Van Slyke sitting in centerfield, watching the Braves celebrate. Third straight post season championship failure, second in a row to the Braves (the year before, John Smiley gives up 4 first inning runs in game 7 and we lose 4-0), beaten by a man who wore a Pirates uniform the year before, and Jim Leylands hunting buddy. Unfortunately, Ill never forget that game, and its cursed the franchise. ZERO winning or .500 seasons since then.
1994 AFC Championship game against the Chargers. Steelers driving with just a few seconds to go in the game, all the way down inside the 5 yard line. O'Donnells pass to Barry Foster was batted down on the last play of the game, and the Chargers advance to SB XXIX.
The day Jack Lambert retired was a bad day.
Terry Bradshaws retirement was too.
The 1994 SEC championship game. Bama 11-0 vs. Florida. Bama, going for their second title in three years, loses 24-23 to the Gators.
The 2000 Orange Bowl. Bama blows TWO 14 point leads in the game, loses in overtime to Michigan after Ryan Pflugner missed an extra point attempt after a Bama touchdown would have tied it, sending it into a second overtime. We lose 35-34.
The 1995 NCAA national championship game. Arkansas loses to UCLA (longtime Hogs bball fan, lol..even before Pelphrey) after returning everybody from a 31-3 title team from the year before.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Oh man, I thought the thread was based on overall disappointments. As far as my personal disappointments goes, its simple;
Superbowl XXX. O'Donnell's INT (second one) to Larry Brown with the Steelers down 20-17 and driving, sealing their fate, losing the the Cowboys.
Game 7 of the '92 NLCS. Pirates up 2-0 going into the bottom of the 9th. Drabek pitches a beautiful game, and is taken out...Stan Belinda comes in to close out the game, with a 2-0 lead, couldnt hold it and yep, Francisco Cabrera, who had all of 6 hits in the regular season or something ridiculous like that, lines one into left center, and Bream came around for the game winning run. I still, to this day, argue till Im red in the face, that Bream was out. I will never, for as long as I live, forget that shot of my hero, Andy Van Slyke sitting in centerfield, watching the Braves celebrate. Third straight post season championship failure, second in a row to the Braves (the year before, John Smiley gives up 4 first inning runs in game 7 and we lose 4-0), beaten by a man who wore a Pirates uniform the year before, and Jim Leylands hunting buddy. Unfortunately, Ill never forget that game, and its cursed the franchise. ZERO winning or .500 seasons since then.
1994 AFC Championship game against the Chargers. Steelers driving with just a few seconds to go in the game, all the way down inside the 5 yard line. O'Donnells pass to Barry Foster was batted down on the last play of the game, and the Chargers advance to SB XXIX.
The 1994 SEC championship game. Bama 11-0 vs. Florida. Bama, going for their second title in three years, loses 24-23 to the Gators.
The 2000 Orange Bowl. Bama blows TWO 14 point leads in the game, loses in overtime to Michigan after Ryan Pflugner missed an extra point attempt after a Bama touchdown would have tied it, sending it into a second overtime. We lose 35-34.
The 1995 NCAA national championship game. Arkansas loses to UCLA (longtime Hogs bball fan, lol..even before Pelphrey) after returning everybody from a 31-3 title team from the year before.

Those were sad days indeed.
Louisville 2008 football season. Preseason #10, Brohm comes back after he could have been a top 10 pick. Big expectations. UK beats UL on the pass to Johnson and UL goes on to not even make a bowl game.
06 WVU beats UL in triple overtime, eventually cost Lville the Big East title.
Brian Brohm not having a successful pro career.
Kragthorpe.
UK losing to Michigan St in the elite 8(04 I believe). Sparks hit the shot to put it into overtime. Azabukie fouled out early in the OT and UK went on to lose.
UK losing to WVU this year. They had the better team but for some reason UK decides to launch 30 3's.
UL losing to Mich St last year. UL had the better team but Izzo outcoached Pitino.
2002 Western Conference Finals.....
08 NBA Finals.
I cant believe nobody has mentioned Billy G
cards_athlete Wrote:Good post!

nice
Aslan Wrote:Louisville 2008 football season. Preseason #10, Brohm comes back after he could have been a top 10 pick. Big expectations. UK beats UL on the pass to Johnson and UL goes on to not even make a bowl game.
06 WVU beats UL in triple overtime, eventually cost Lville the Big East title.
Brian Brohm not having a successful pro career.
Kragthorpe.
UK losing to Michigan St in the elite 8(04 I believe). Sparks hit the shot to put it into overtime. Azabukie fouled out early in the OT and UK went on to lose.
UK losing to WVU this year. They had the better team but for some reason UK decides to launch 30 3's.
UL losing to Mich St last year. UL had the better team but Izzo outcoached Pitino.

It was UAB I believe
back_in_black Wrote:It was UAB I believe
:Thumbs:
It was the 04-05 season. UK lost to Mich St 94-88 in the elite 8.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:I cant believe nobody has mentioned Billy G

Yeah... let me do the honors..

Billy G is terrible.
At UK: Rhoderick Rhodes hands down. The kid had the potential to be an NCAA and NBA Superstar. He had a decent career at UK but never reached his full potential because of his selfish "Me first" attitude.
Jarons Wrote:Those were sad days indeed.
Agreed!
There's been so many disappointments,so lets just say the 3 UK losses in the Championship games,1966,1975 and 1997.
Ballers Wrote:Yeah... let me do the honors..

Billy G is terrible.

Nobody expected the Billy G Era of Kentucky Basketball to be the nightmare that it turned out to be.
Stardust Wrote:The 1996 Kentucky Wildcats for losing to UMass and Miss St.:popcorn:

Agreed!!! lol :rockon:

I would have to say the Marquette game when Bogans got hurt in the round before. They team was steam rolling and then came an injury like that. :HitWall:
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Oh man, I thought the thread was based on overall disappointments. As far as my personal disappointments goes, its simple;

Great post Tides!!!
By the way I think that the biggest flop of a career was Rashaad Carruth