Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Will the "One-and-done" wear on UK fans?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I feel very blessed to have all these kids coming to Kentucky and think that it is wonderful; I don't want people to think I don't love the talent we are getting, it is a good problem to have. But, my question is do you think after a couple years the Big Blue nation will grow tiresome of the Wall, Cousins, and Ortins leaving after one year with no National Championship. We are a story book program and we love our Championships! So do you think that with these kids leaving and Kentucky becoming a stepping stone for one year, (just to prepare them for the NBA) will take its toll on the Big Blue nation? I just hate that these kids are leaving I love them so much and will miss them. I think that "TALENT" as Cal says is great and it is always good to root for a great bunch of players any day, but will we ever see an experienced team at UK? Go Cats!
When coach Cal was hired, I knew we would get a few one-and-done players, I didn't figure it would be 4, possibly 5 players entering the draft after only one season.

I think if we have to replace half the team or more every season, it will begin to grow tiresome with UK fans like myself. We just want a championship. And we do not care if it's done with some good ole boys from Kentucky or done with potential NBA lottery picks.

JMO
I agree 100% BCA. It doesn't matter how you get the hardware at the end of the year, UK fans just want it.
Cal said it would take more than a year.
Well I have news for Cal, unless the NBA ends up having a lockout in the few years then UK will not win the championship, because we have to replace half the team or more every season.
We wont have a team like this years again for some time we will start getting some of the players that stick around for more then 1 year. Call me Crazy if you want, we will still get the 1 and done players but no way we will end up with 4 or 5 that will all go in the same year.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Well I have news for Cal, unless the NBA ends up having a lockout in the few years then UK will not win the championship, because we have to replace half the team or more every season.

:Thumbs:
Get used to it UK fans, we will never know our superstars.
You guys are so negative. We went to the elite eight for the first time since 2003 i believe. And it seems like we just lost in the fist round in the NIT.
For UK fans, this will be great! As much as we care about recruiting, this will give them something to follow.

I can't remember the last time a Top 25 recruit actually stayed 4 years AND was a great basketball player. If you want the best players, be prepared to watch them leave.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:You guys are so negative. We went to the elite eight for the first time since 2003 i believe. And it seems like we just lost in the fist round in the NIT.

Cal was bought here to get UK national titles, not elite 8 appearences.
ok many of you may or may not know this, but the ncaa is getting ready to bring a new rule into place removing the one-and-done, making it to where you have to at least stay 2 years of college before entering the nba draft, look for this to go into effect into next season '10-11' or '11-12' its going to happen. =) luckily it will be the best for UK, we mite see a championship cuz of this rule, becuz if it stays the same...dont look like we'll see one =/ sadly
the#1Balla Wrote:ok many of you may or may not know this, but the ncaa is getting ready to bring a new rule into place removing the one-and-done, making it to where you have to at least stay 2 years of college before entering the nba draft, look for this to go into effect into next season '10-11' or '11-12' its going to happen. =) luckily it will be the best for UK, we mite see a championship cuz of this rule, becuz if it stays the same...dont look like we'll see one =/ sadly

:Clap: :Thumbs:
I dont believe the one and dones will be as bad ever as they are this year. I belive when Cal gets more established the number will go down.

For the most part I dont know what else to say about it, Kids that want to go pro are forced to go to college for a season. This is going to happen every draft, every year. It sucks put these are the times, and I would rather have the kids in UK blue, instead of Red or Carolina Blue
the#1Balla Wrote:ok many of you may or may not know this, but the ncaa is getting ready to bring a new rule into place removing the one-and-done, making it to where you have to at least stay 2 years of college before entering the nba draft, look for this to go into effect into next season '10-11' or '11-12' its going to happen. =) luckily it will be the best for UK, we mite see a championship cuz of this rule, becuz if it stays the same...dont look like we'll see one =/ sadly

Hmm, really? So where is this listed at? This topic comes up every year and now it's getting ready to be adopted? :popcorn:
As long as UK continues to win 30+ games and can contend for a championship I can get used to it. Of course I would like to see them cut the nets down a time or two. But I honestly think when Cal put this team together he was thinking he would have Orton and Bledsoe both return for next season. He was already talking Wall, Patterson and Cousins being gone after this season. As for Dodson, if he is flunking out then he might as well try. But I would like to see a few players come in and stay more than a season. Those are the types of players that help win championships.
The thing about the changing the one-and-done rule was on a espnu recruiting special one day, and was also on sportscenter. They say that it will more than likely go through this year, i hope thats correct!
I think it does if they want to win a championship or two..If they want seasons like this one they will be upset...I personall see nothing wrong with 35 win and 3 losses a confernce championship and an elite 8 trip for the first time since 02'
Personally, I like it when the boys are here long enough to learn Kentucky traditions and become a great memory of the Big Blue Nation! I know we can expect some to not stay long but I think if all the rumors are true about these players leaving then I think people will get tired of it....
Dont expect this to happen every year. Some of the players entering the draft may still come back. If not than IMO they will be making a mistake (Orton, Dodson). Everybody was aware that Wall, Bledsoe, and Cuz were One and done when they commited to Kentucky. We didn't have a problem with it then. Why so negative now? Coach Cal is the best recruiter in the Nation and we will be good every year. And for that I am greatful. The championships will come and the NIT appearances are in the past.
i don't think the big blue nation will become tired of this b/c we keep bringing in more and better talent every year so it really shouldn't be a problem
Aslan Wrote:Cal was bought here to get UK national titles, not elite 8 appearences.

you exspected a championship his first year? Im happy with the elite 8 and 35-3 record. Cal will get us a championship, give him a few years. As for getting tired of one-and dones? Not at all, if we have seasons like this, winning 30 plus games, I'm going to be happy, very happy. And If we continue to recruit a bunch of great players, sooner or later we will have a combination to win a championship IMO.
I am a big opponent of "one and done" before Calipari came here. It is college, not NBA warm up.
I think it already has(but people would live with it if they win championships). But Kentucky fans would like to see Kentucky boys like Justice play there and I don't think he will go to Kentucky where several players had to leave when Calipari came and he constatnly tries to recruit NBA picks. I think Cal needs some players that will stay and be a core of experienced players like Pattersonw was as well as one and done stars.
Amun-Ra Wrote:I am a big opponent of "one and done" before Calipari came here. It is college, not NBA warm up.

I agree. Furthermore, I don't believe UK fans will ever get use to being "one of the elite 8". It was great seeing UK back on top but not being able to finish on top I think leaves a sour taste in the palate IMO.