Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Big East Overrated?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Marquette
Georgetown
Notre Dame

All making early exits.

Espn was saying Villanova robbed Robert Morris. Whats your thoughts on the Big East?
Nope.
It's not as good as it was last year but imo it still was the best conference during the regular season.
Regular season doesn't matter in March. And right now the Big East does not look good.
maybe those teams got big heads thinking they could win since they was in the Big East, and no other team outside it could play with them,lol
cuppett777 Wrote:maybe those teams got big heads thinking they could win since they was in the Big East, and no other team outside it could play with them,lol

:Thumbs: Agreed
Dropping like flies.
Yes, the Big East was overrated. Its regular season champion, Syracuse, was swept home and away by a mediocre, one-and-done Louisville team. Syracuse was eliminated from the conference tournament by Georgetown, which was humiliated by MAC tournament champ, Ohio University (which had a 7-9 MAC conference record) in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

I don't think that the talent in the Big East is overrated, I think that the coaches are. Pitino used to be without peer in preparing his players for a big game. What has happened to him? The Cards looked almost disinterested in spotting Ohio U an early 12-0 lead.

Maybe next season, the committee will be a little stingier with its bids.
^, UL Vs Ohio U? I agree with everything you said but im a little confused. Georgetown Played OHIO U CorrecT?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:^, UL Vs Ohio U? I agree with everything you said but im a little confused. Georgetown Played OHIO U CorrecT?
Yes. My first reference to Georgetown was right but I meant to type "Cal" in the second one instead of Georgetown.
I'll say this, the Big East was much better last year. The conference lost a ton of talent, a few lottery picks.
Big East conference had the most depth, but was not the best conference.

Best conference was the the Big 12 IMO.
"IF" again "IF" there was a such thing as a dominant COnference it was the big east! However this season there was no dominant team! Yesterday mornig at 10 a.m. i would said kansas was the most dominat team! So what i am saying is the big east had the deepest confernece but not the best team! They have 3 teams who i say is a top 10 team in Syracuse, villanova, and georgetown! oh and gtown and nova is watching along with marquette, Louisville, Notre dame is watching syracuse from home!
The question is the Pac-10 underrated, they have 2 teams left in the toueny
theVILLE Wrote:"IF" again "IF" there was a such thing as a dominant COnference it was the big east! However this season there was no dominant team! Yesterday mornig at 10 a.m. i would said kansas was the most dominat team! So what i am saying is the big east had the deepest confernece but not the best team! They have 3 teams who i say is a top 10 team in Syracuse, villanova, and georgetown! oh and gtown and nova is watching along with marquette, Louisville, Notre dame is watching syracuse from home!

So, you still do not think that WVU is a top 10 team?
ImagineThat! Wrote:So, you still do not think that WVU is a top 10 team?

make that 4 top 10 teams! lol...See there so good you forget one in the top 10 lol! Imaginethat i think the WVU is atop 5 team in fact i had KU beating them in te championship, i actually hope WV wins it all now...but that doesnt change the fact they had to cheat to beat louisville...and yes louisville is home watching right now before you say that lol
'Nova was not even close to being a Top 10 team at the end of the season. Taking their poor NCAA tournament performance into account, neither was Georgetown, although I would have agreed before Ohio University outplayed them so badly. If there was a "best" conference this season, it was the Big 12, IMO.

The media always over-hypes the Big East because of the big TV markets and the conference usually falls short of expectations - although last season the conference proved itself worthy of the praise.
This years NCAA's has proved the Big East was somewhat overrated. I was one that thought the Big East was on top far and away bettter than the rest. I think we got caught up in them beating up on each other because so many of them were top ranked teams and overhyped the entire conference. Like most conferences this year the Big East has proved to have 2-3 rock solid teams and then drop off. Those 2-3 teams in each conference can play with anyone and after that you get average teams that play very good at times.
theVILLE Wrote:The question is the Pac-10 underrated, they have 2 teams left in the toueny
Well ok what abouth the SEC then? We still have 2 teams left, could possibley been three had Murray State not made that buzzer beater.
To me it looks like the Big East was overrated. I haven't seen anything from any of them that really wowed me. with the exception of Syracuse. Love the Orange. They were my early favorite, and they look like the second best team in it right now behind KY (who is playing amazing basketball right now).
In this instance it is entirely possible for the Big East to be very good, and overrated, at the same time. Truth be told the BE was probably the best conference from Top to Bottom in the country, but it wasn't nearly as dominant as the talking heads during the regular season and the polls would have you believe. The Big East is two Top 10 teams (WVU and Cuse), a few of teams who are Top 25 calibur (Nova, Georgetown, Pitt), and a whole slew of teams who are Top 50 teams (Marquette, Louisville, Notre Dame, Seton Hall, etc)

If you judge the Big East by their BEST teams, they are on the same level as the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10... but based on the body of work of the entire conference they are the best.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:In this instance it is entirely possible for the Big East to be very good, and overrated, at the same time. Truth be told the BE was probably the best conference from Top to Bottom in the country, but it wasn't nearly as dominant as the talking heads during the regular season and the polls would have you believe. The Big East is two Top 10 teams (WVU and Cuse), a few of teams who are Top 25 calibur (Nova, Georgetown, Pitt), and a whole slew of teams who are Top 50 teams (Marquette, Louisville, Notre Dame, Seton Hall, etc)

If you judge the Big East by their BEST teams, they are on the same level as the SEC, Big 12, and Big 10... but based on the body of work of the entire conference they are the best.

Great post...However i think tha Not, marquette, and louisville had potential to be a top 20-25 team, ive said that all season, they just couldnt put teams away in the end..Like Louisvillem they had Nova down 17, they beat WV until some refs decided to throw the rule book in the stands, and they had pitt beat with a minute to go, and they beat Syracuse twice
Aslan Wrote:I'll say this, the Big East was much better last year. The conference lost a ton of talent, a few lottery picks.

Speaking of that.. Imagine if Flynn and Devandorf was still at Syracuse.
Or at the least just Flynn...
Ballers Wrote:Speaking of that.. Imagine if Flynn and Devandorf was still at Syracuse.
Or at the least just Flynn...

dont want to:biggrin:
theVILLE Wrote:Great post...However i think tha Not, marquette, and louisville had potential to be a top 20-25 team, ive said that all season, they just couldnt put teams away in the end..Like Louisvillem they had Nova down 17, they beat WV until some refs decided to throw the rule book in the stands, and they had pitt beat with a minute to go, and they beat Syracuse twice

Syracuse is still in the tourney. Where is Louisville?:popcorn:
sorry i disagree with georgetown being a top 10 team. they came in towards the middle of the big east regular season and got bounced in the tournament, sorry maybe top 20, but not top 10.

syarcuse and wvu yes easily, and villinova is around 10 but not gtown.
Ballers Wrote:Syracuse is still in the tourney. Where is Louisville?:popcorn:

at home watching syracuse play! You act like i am ashamed to say that or something??? im not..louisiville didnt have a bad season, they just couldnt put the runs together at the right time!
I cant believe that the Big East is having this much of a problem with the tourney. They really only have Syracuse as a big boy standing with a chance for a title. But even they have a big time hole due to injury. I really do not think that WVU can recover from that kind of loss and Syracuse is bound to get beat on the inside with Onuaku out.