Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: (1) Kentucky 73 - Alabama 67 (SEC Quarterfinal)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final

SEC - Quarterfinal RD
TOOOO much Wall and Patterson for Bama in this one. Both end with 20+ games.
30-2 That record sure looks nice!
Patterson stepped it up quite a bit.
We played really well in the second half, but our rebounding effort today was terrible. Thankfully we shot the ball well and was able to get to the free throw line and connect on those. I expect us to play much better tomorrow and hopefully it's against Tennessee.
Like almost every other game this season, UK struggles but finds a way to win.
Cats completely outclassed Bama, but only come away with a 6 point win. Cats need to fix the rebounding issue by next game.

To get outrebounded by a much smaller team by 13 is not a good sign at this time of year.

Wall and Patterson carry the Cats, but not much offense from anyone else. Bledsoe 10, Cuz 7, Miller 4, and Stevenson with 4!

This is the 3rd straight game that Big Cuz has had fewer than 10 points and rebounds. His production has beeclining over the last five games. Not sure what the cause is.

7.7% from the three point stripe!
EastKyMx Wrote:Patterson stepped it up quite a bit.

PPat really didn't do much away from the rim. He was fed three oops and had a few putbacks. He was 8-8 from the line which was huge, and then 0-3 from the three-point stripe. We do not need PPat shooting three 3's!
Cousins seems to be struggling because teams are being more aggressive with him and he isn't getting the calls he was earlier in the season. He has to adjust and once he does, look out!

I'm not that worried about our 3-point shooting, because as long as we do not turn the ball over or get out rebounded, then I don't see anyone beating us. Of course I'd like to see us make majority of our 3-point attempts, but I'm comfortable as long as we do as I reiterated above.
Wall took over this game and played great! Ppat didnt shoot his threes well, but stepped it up at the line!Some how some way Albama out rebounded them i think...or it sure seemed that way! Good luck in the tourney UK
Quote:30-2 That record sure looks nice!
it sure does.....GO CATS
^ I do worry about the 3 point shooting. In the big dance, YOU HAVE O SHOOT threes. I do not know of a team over the last 15 years that has made the final four not being able to shoot the three. Our three point shooting has been a downward trend. This is the 2nd game over the last three that our 3 pt shooting percent is less than 10%. In those two games they shot 3-35 from the three point stripe. I am concerned about that
Stardust Wrote:^ I do worry about the 3 point shooting. In the big dance, YOU HAVE O SHOOT threes. I do not know of a team over the last 15 years that has made the final four not being able to shoot the three. Our three point shooting has been a downward trend. This is the 2nd game over the last three that our 3 pt shooting percent is less than 10%. In those two games they shot 3-35 from the three point stripe. I am concerned about that

Yes three pt shooting is a key and guarding the three is a big key as well! I have to say UK by far has the talent to make the final four but i wouldnt put my money on it!
Turnovers and rebounds need to be addressed by tomorrow.
We will eventually make our 3's. We are in a slump right now, that's it. We've proved that we can shoot free throws in the past, that's why I'm not that worried about our shooting.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Cousins seems to be struggling because teams are being more aggressive with him and he isn't getting the calls he was earlier in the season. He has to adjust and once he does, look out!

I'm not that worried about our 3-point shooting, because as long as we do not turn the ball over or get out rebounded, then I don't see anyone beating us. Of course I'd like to see us make majority of our 3-point attempts, but I'm comfortable as long as we do as I reiterated above.

Pst I'm very concerned about our three point shooting. We played Alabama today. Against a good team, that could be our downfall. Example, UT.
If UK continues to let teams hangout, it may end up biting them when it courts. That's my biggest concern.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:We will eventually make our 3's. We are in a slump right now, that's it. We've proved that we can shoot free throws in the past, that's why I'm not that worried about our shooting.

The Cats are ranked 149th in three point shooting in the NCAA. The Cats schedule has turned out to be much weaker than we expected it at the beginning of the season. With such poor outside shooting, as Aslan said, we will find ourselves in trouble against a quality team when three point shooting IS important. We have been in a slump all season, it's not recent. It has been the exception when we shoot over 40%, so it's not like we found a rythem and then recently lost it.
Wow. Better pick it up.
Stardust Wrote:The Cats are ranked 149th in three point shooting in the NCAA. The Cats schedule has turned out to be much weaker than we expected it at the beginning of the season. With such poor outside shooting, as Aslan said, we will find ourselves in trouble against a quality team when three point shooting IS important. We have been in a slump all season, it's not recent. It has been the exception when we shoot over 40%, so it's not like we found a rythem and then recently lost it.

All I'm saying is this, if Cal isn't worried about, then I'm not worried about it.

Our team finds ways to win games. We don't put teams away like we should, but our guys always find ways to win. No other team in the country has as much talent as we do. I do think we can win games against QUALITY opponents by making 1-3 three pointers a game, because when we are on like we will be, no one will be able to rebound with us, keep Wall out of the lane, or stop Cousins/Patterson down low.

JMO
BCA, Cal is a professional Coach. What he say's and what he feels is two different things. You really think Cal has not worries about his team's three point shooting? Just because he is not Bob Huggins and wears his emotion on his sleeve for all to know, I would very seriously doubt that Cal has no worries about the three point shooting. Or, if he is not, then he is not a student of the game and understands that FT% and 3Pt% is very, very important in March. Especially considering what happened to him in the Finals!
Stardust Wrote:^ I do worry about the 3 point shooting. In the big dance, YOU HAVE O SHOOT threes. I do not know of a team over the last 15 years that has made the final four not being able to shoot the three. Our three point shooting has been a downward trend. This is the 2nd game over the last three that our 3 pt shooting percent is less than 10%. In those two games they shot 3-35 from the three point stripe. I am concerned about that

the broadcasters said 2day that the last 2 games they hit 8 threepointers in each..until 2day.
Read the string, it's more than the last two games. Look up the stats over the last four games. Look up UK's % in the nation. It's all black and white, not my opinions.
Stardust Wrote:BCA, Cal is a professional Coach. What he say's and what he feels is two different things. You really think Cal has not worries about his team's three point shooting? Just because he is not Bob Huggins and wears his emotion on his sleeve for all to know, I would very seriously doubt that Cal has no worries about the three point shooting. Or, if he is not, then he is not a student of the game and understands that FT% and 3Pt% is very, very important in March. Especially considering what happened to him in the Finals!

He is not worried about the three the same way he did not sweat free throws at Memphis and it cost them a national title. I think you are right Dusty, he is a professional and he is just saying that stuff to keep the pressure off his team and not let it get in their heads.
We did not play good at all in the 1st half. Then in the 2nd half John Wall took over the game. Scoring at will. Very sluggish game in all by the Cats. We have to step it up for tomorrow. But, ha... A WINS, A WIN!
Stardust Wrote:Read the string, it's more than the last two games. Look up the stats over the last four games. Look up UK's % in the nation. It's all black and white, not my opinions.

i believe you i was just stating what the broadcasters said..
^ It's a concern that we have known about this team since day one. Something that I would like to see addressed for next years recruiting class
Stardust Wrote:^ It's a concern that we have known about this team since day one. Something that I would like to see addressed for next years recruiting class

There was an attempt to address that situation with Darnell Dodson. Problem is, Dodson is very streaky. He was brought on to shoot the three, but if he gets in a slump, it's hard for him to break. Not to mention, Dodson is fairly inept at every other aspect of the game. He had 3 turnovers in a row in today's game.
^ I agree 100%. My point was that it was known, from the staff, that outside shooting was amiss on this team. Miller was expected to do a better job, and many others thought Bledsoe could shoot it. But, the Cats just never found a consistent three point shooter. It's also not the type of player that Cal recruits. His typical recruit is the "athlete" and not pure shooters. We may not see those type of players in Cal's era, which fits everyplace he has been. I think that has hurt him, especially when the Tigers went to the Finals. We shall see as time goes.
Stardust Wrote:BCA, Cal is a professional Coach. What he say's and what he feels is two different things. You really think Cal has not worries about his team's three point shooting? Just because he is not Bob Huggins and wears his emotion on his sleeve for all to know, I would very seriously doubt that Cal has no worries about the three point shooting. Or, if he is not, then he is not a student of the game and understands that FT% and 3Pt% is very, very important in March. Especially considering what happened to him in the Finals!

i agree! At memphis he wasnt worried about there Free throws, he said " we will hit them when it matters, im not worried about it" Well in the national championship game it bit them in the butt!
Pages: 1 2