Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: SEC names Award Winners (Mar. 9)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The SEC named their award winners today (Mar. 9). Here are Kentucky's notables:

John Wall - Player of the Year, First Team All-SEC, All-Freshman Team
DeMarcus Cousins - Freshman of the Year, First Team All-SEC, All-Freshman Team
Patrick Patterson - First Team All-SEC, All-Defensive Team
Eric Bledsoe - All-Freshman Team

The Coach of the Year Award went to Kevin Stallings of Vanderbilt. I have a real issue with this. How can this be? What else could Coach Cal have possibly done to get the award? I mean, he has my unbiased vote for National Coach of the Year, but I figured SEC Coach of the Year would have been a given for him. I almost laughed when I seen Stallings won it. Don't get me wrong because Stallings done a great job and is a fantastic coach, but Cal clearly should have won the award this season. Without Cal, these UK players (other than Patterson) wouldn't have even been at UK to win the awards they did. Cal took a team that went to the NIT last year and turned them back into a powerhouse once again going 29-2 so far with a 14-2 conference record. I'm sorry but I have a real problem with this.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:The SEC named their award winners today (Mar. 9). Here are Kentucky's notables:

John Wall - Player of the Year, First Team All-SEC, All-Freshman Team
DeMarcus Cousins - Freshman of the Year, First Team All-SEC, All-Freshman Team
Patrick Patterson - First Team All-SEC, All-Defensive Team
Eric Bledsoe - All-Freshman Team

The Coach of the Year Award went to Kevin Stallings of Vanderbilt. I have a real issue with this. How can this be? What else could Coach Cal have possibly done to get the award? I mean, he has my unbiased vote for National Coach of the Year, but I figured SEC Coach of the Year would have been a given for him. I almost laughed when I seen Stallings won it. Don't get me wrong because Stallings done a great job and is a fantastic coach, but Cal clearly should have won the award this season. Without Cal, these UK players (other than Patterson) wouldn't have even been at UK to win the awards they did. Cal took a team that went to the NIT last year and turned them back into a powerhouse once again going 29-2 so far with a 14-2 conference record. I'm sorry but I have a real problem with this.

I'm glad somebody from Kentucky won POY, but I figured Downey would have got it. I guess they took a close look at his FG %, cause it wasn't that great, lol, he shoots his arm off. I do have a question. How does Wall win POY and not win Freshman of the Year? Either way, glad to see Boogie get it. As for Coach Cal not gettin Coach of the Year, I completely agree with ya. Before Cal brought in these recruits, Vandy was favored to win the SEC. Nobody knew UK was gonna have the kinda season we've had so far, cause lets face it, ALOT of top recruits never pan out to be what everybody thinks they will. Personally I think Cal deserved COY just for what he did with Cousins. At the beginnin of the year, I myself, and I'm sure many others, kept waitin for him to go crazy and kill 4 or 5 on the court cause of short temper. Now he's cool and layed back.
I agree, he should have got it. I hope this makes the team work and play even harder. I guess if we win the SEC tournament then Coach Cal would take that over COY!
I don't see how Cal didn't win COY either.
Aslan Wrote:I don't see how Cal didn't win COY either.

Me either.
They just didn't want us to sweep the mens awards just like the ladies did.
The telling sign is that Kevin Stallings name was not even in the 15 for the national coach of the year. It really just shows a lot of the personal opinion within the SEC. Cal is probably not respected as much as we would hope. I really think that most media outlets understand the significance of taking a team from elite eight to national champ contender. Either way it was fantastic to see the biggest names begin represented on the all SEC teams. Patterson, Wall, Cousins, and Bledsoe really does deserve a lot of credit for some of the achievements this year.