Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Blog from facebook about UK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Micah Pearson March 4 at 9:59am Reply
Non game news:
-Continue to check out bigbluetopia.com for more extensive UK coverage. I’m adding features daily. Today put up three slide shows of 200 pictures…more to come.

-Duke goes down to Maryland tonight. Did Maryland seriously storm the court? I realize it’s Duke and everybody can’t stand them but Maryland is ranked, you were at home, Duke is over rated and oh by the way you’re not Mt. Saint Mary’s…you guys have won a title more recently then programs like UCLA, UK and oh yeah that Duke team that you just stormed the court over…court storming is entertaining but it has become watered down.

-Happy Birthday to Tom Leach, he claims to be 21 today...it’s his birthday so I won’t disagree with that …

-The Slam Magazine UK cover pic is out. If you haven’t seen it yet, you can see it with this report on bigbluetopia.com. Haven’t heard if it is the next cover but I would assume so, putting a college basketball cover after college basketball is over wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense.

-Good news and bad news came out on recruit Josh Selby today. The word is he is a Kansas lean but is closing the door on other teams not named UK, KU, UCONN and Arizona.

This really isn’t news but just a public statement by his mom pretty much confirming this. I have been saying forever UK would likely get Knight and Selby to Kansas. As long as we get one of the two all things are good.

-Teague was supposed to visit UK soon but I believe for the 100th time he is canceling this visit because of another scheduling conflict. The good thing is he seems to want to wait until his senior year. This is good news with Pitino being in early on him and many believe Pitino would be gone by the time Teague plays college ball and that may be more obvious to Teague the longer he waits.

Game analysis: UK takes down the Dawgs 80-68. UK improves to 28-2 (13-2). Georgia was undefeated in against SEC East teams at home including a 14 point route over Vandy, while UK was only 2-2 against SEC East teams on the road…so it was a good win to pull out.

UK at least clinches a share for their 44th SEC championship. If we beat Florida or Vandy loses to South Carolina we will own it out right. We will still have the 1st seed for the East in the SEC tourney since we beat Vandy twice.

-Loved hearing more go big blue and blue/white chants. UK does this at every road game but it was

UK ended with 10 turnovers. That ties with the Florida game for the lowest amount of turnovers in SEC play.

Georgia’s worse nightmare occurred; UK hit threes…as we put up 8 threes tonight. Our last three games combined gave us a total of 8 threes.
The Bulldogs are very big which meant us dominating inside offensively and in rebounding was not likely. This game scared me just because I knew we would have to hit threes to win and that is a dangerous thing to ask.
For those who checked out bigbluetopia.com lately likely read my article on where in the world has Dodson went. I believe I saw some luggage behind the bench because Dodson has come home! He went 3-6 from three with no air balls with 11 points, no turnovers and only one foul. He had a good night and he will be big for UK’s success down the road.
Wall with another “I’m going to miss that guy…” performance. He led all scorers with 24 points, going 8-10 from the field…8-10…that is good. 3-5 from three…that’s good too. 5-5 from the free throw line and well again that’s good. That Wall guy isn’t bad he might be good enough to go pro one of these days…

Patterson was given player of the game with 17 points and 10 rebounds. He received his 30th double double in his career passing up Mike Pratt. A ton of Pratt’s numbers have been passed up this year. Mike isn’t minding…

Our defense was tough late first half and that carried on into the 2nd half, we seemed to figure out how to handle them and played tenacious d until Georgia was pretty much out of it. They had a little late run with a senior McPhee going off from three but the closest they could get was 72-63 and we held them at bay the rest of the way.

UK put 14 blocks up on the stat board. Cousins with 6, Patterson with 4, Miller with 2, Wall and Orton with 1.

Our bench put up 17 points and this was big to our success.

Georgia outrebounded us 35-26. This was the most frustrating part of UK’s game in the first half. I knew they were bigger than most teams we face but many times we did not get the rebound because of how big they were, but the lack of blocking out your man. Several…several times UK bigs would turn blindly around at the rebound to get the rebound.

The problem is they are not physics and can’t predict how the ball will come off the rim. If you block your man out then even if the ball does come right down in front of you, in most situations you are in a better position to maneuver to the ball.

Cousins and company did better at blocking out in the second half and received fruits for their labors. Georgia did not have an offensive rebound the entire second half. There was one play where we blocked out, Georgia clearly went over the back and ended up with the rebound. Calling over the back calls seems to be a dying breed with the refs; you have to pretty much knock the other guy down to get the call.

Speaking of bad calls, Wall’s “backcourt violation” call was horrid. That is one of those if we lose by one that would eat at me forever. It’s not one of those is it a charge or a block type of calls; it’s one of those just blatantly wrong calls.

How did Wall not get a foul call when he got hit off the dunk and Wall fell. He clearly got hit in the air on the way down. You got to protect your high flyers. Wall by the way is right handed and that was a high flying left handed dunk.

Cousins did walk over and over when he dribbled in open court and it was never called so...

Miller continues to struggle behind the three going 0-5. Miller did do things well in other areas and that kept him in the game. Bledsoe and Cousins did not have great games offensively. Cousins ended with 6, Bledsoe with 5.

Cal’s thoughts: Unbelievable defense. Start of the game was bad, offensive rebound over and over and after that they never got another one the rest of the game. Georgia scored 12 points early on from second shots and when we shut that down they had trouble scoring.
Wall ran the team, Cousins was a best in the second half.

Cal is still figuring this team out. Usually Cal at this time backs it up to avoid injuries but we are not competitive doing this and he changed this in practice this week. Our demise will not be defense or three point shooting. Our demise will be ourselves.

-Today going into the gym for shoot around Cal didn’t like the walk of some of his guys. He hadn’t mentioned anything about the SEC championship until he saw that and brought them over and reminded them what they were playing for tonight.

Cal has taken some heat for acting like he doesn’t care so much about the SEC title, focused on #1 seed and the NCAA tourney. Cal is just used to the CUSA where a conference title really isn’t impressive.

UK plays next on Sunday…not Saturday against Florida at 12 eastern.
It looks like we will play the winner of Georgia and Auburn in our first game of the SEC tourney. Then likely play the winner of Ole Miss vs. Tennessee in the semi finals and if we advance likely play the winner of Miss. St and Vandy for the championship.

Continue to check out bigbluetopia.com. Go Cats!
^WOW New site for me to get on everyday.
Micah Pearson March 8 at 3:26am Reply
Non game notes: Continue to check out bigbluetopia.com, notice the various features on the right side. A new message board has been added, brought to you by Today’s Meet. Leave questions/comments about your Cats on there and come back later to check out responses.
Let me know what you think of the site and any suggestions for what would make it better, just let me know. If you would like to be part of writing team send your reports to [email]bigbluetopia@gmail.com[/email].

-There were supposed to be a ton of UK recruits in this weekend. I haven’t heard who made it but I was told Selby wasn’t expected to make it. Some believe he may have heard Knight is coming to UK and canceled his visit because of this…we shall see. There is also a lot of talk believing Kanter would leave committing to UK. He said he wanted to take his time before committing, so this news was a little surprising but we shall see if he does or not.

-UK women play for the SEC Tourney championship against UT at 6:30 eastern on ESPN2. The Lady Cats played an exceptional second half with tenacious defense to comeback and beat MSU last night and good luck to them today.

-The SEC bracket is set; you can see the bracket at bigbluetopia.com. Times can be found here:

http://www.secsports.com/championships/2...ament.aspx

Game notes: UK takes down Florida 74-66 in front of a crowd of 24,354. UK goes 18-0 in Rupp this year. 1st time since 1981 both men’s and women’s team went perfect on their home floors.

UK improves to 29-2 (14-2 in the conference). With Vandy losing yesterday we already had the SEC season title by ourselves, this win gives us a 2 win lead over Vandy for the title.

Win or lose today we were likely set as a #1 seed and with Syracuse not being able to play in the East bracket because their arena is hosting it, our spot in the East is pretty much set. There is a chance if Kansas loses in the Big 12 tourney and we win the SEC tourney, to put UK in the Midwest as the overall number one seed.

Florida on the other hand needed this one as they are on the bubble. If they cannot get a few wins in the SEC tourney they may be biting their nails on Selection Sunday.

Cal said before the game his policy for senior night is if a player is on track to graduate, then they can be part of senior night. If Patterson wasn’t on track he wouldn’t have been part of it. Some want only four year players to be part, but Mark Krebs came here as a sophomore, so he wouldn’t be part of senior night either if that is what you want.
This was the 1st time UK has swept the series with the Gators since 2004.

At the end, players joined the cheerleaders arm in arm to do the Ole Kentucky Home. Then the crowd did a one more year chant at Patterson and the players joined in. Only way Patterson considers coming back is if UK goes out in the early in the NCAA tourney, so I hope he goes pro.

We started out with a 36-18 lead and I expected it to be a route from that point on…should have known better. At the 5:20 mark Florida dunked it, to bring the game within 2, 62-60…but they never could get a lead or a tie throughout the game. I can’t remember the last game that can be said about.

Harris, Stevenson and Krebs all received the start for senior day and didn’t do too bad for the five minutes or so they were out there. UK led 7-3 when they came out.

Bledsoe and Miller tied for leading scorers with 14. It was good to see Bledsoe have a good game after being in a slump as of late. Bledsoe had the best highlight play with his crazy layup. We will need him to play well to go deep into March.

Miller got his three point shooting stroke back, going 3-5 from behind the arc. We shot ok from three, thanks to a great start out of the gate. We ended up 8-18 (44.4%). We shot 20-28 (71.4%) from the free throw line.

Patterson scored 13 points as he passed Cliff Hagan for #16 on the all time scoring list.

Wall-11, Dodson-10, Cousins-8, Orton-2, and Stevenson-2. Wall had 8 assist in the game.

Florida had very balanced scoring, Tyus led with 12. Only 8 players played for Florida and 7 of them scored at least 6.

UK and Florida tied for turnovers with 13. Florida outrebounded UK 36-31. This continues to be something we need to work on. Even when we end up with more, there were plenty of times, if we had blocked out that we could have gotten more. We gave up 17 offensive rebounds…that is 17 more possessions. Many of those offensive rebounds could have been avoid. We are the biggest team in the nation and need to take advantage of this on a higher level.

Cousins did not have a great game; Florida did well to collapse on him. Although he was only one rebound and two points away from receiving his 19th double double. Teams are going to force us to hit threes by playing zone and collapsing inside, leaving our guards wide open from the perimeter.

UK plays next this Friday at 12 eastern, against the winner of South Carolina and Alabama. If we win that, we will play the winner of Ole Miss/UT. UT is the team I fear most in this tourney, they are not just the highest ranked competition, but the team that is playing the best ball right now.

Coach Cal’s thoughts: Our 9-12 guys are the best 9-12 guys Cal has ever coached. Putting in guys like Stevenson doesn’t hurt this team.
He is proud that Harris, Krebs, Stevenson and Patterson are all set to graduate.

We didn’t cut down the nets after the game and said at the SEC tourney if they win they will not cut down nets there either. The only nets they cut down are in the NCAA tourney.

(Many teams cut down nets winning the elite 8 game, going into the final four. I will be curious if we make the final four will we do this?)

Cal contributed to Florida outrebounding us because Florida needed this one to help their tourney chances. He believes one win in the SEC puts them in and two wins will just help their seeding.

Everyone is trying to take a charge on Bledsoe because they can’t keep up with us. If Bledsoe can stop a little earlier we have extra dunks over the player trying to take the charge.

It’s so nice to have Daniel Orton on this team. Cousins was getting tired and Cal tried to put Orton in and Orton said put Perry in because it’s senior night. Cal was very proud of that from Orton.

Liggins brings energy to this game. He hasn’t been lately getting the 50/50 balls and he needs to bring that back and not revert back to his old ways.

Cal wants them to have a winner’s mindset. When they believe they are fouled and it isn’t called just say to yourself “oh well, were winning anyways.” You can’t control outside forces and if you keep it up despite feeling robbed by the officials, you will end up playing better.

Continue to check out bigbluetopia.com for the latest!

Go Cats! Win the SEC Tourney!