Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Weight lifting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How young is to young to begin lifting weights? I have heard a blue million theories out there but I thought I would get some opinions. I have seen several threads on hear about 7th and 8th grade teams hitting the weights. My son will be a 7th grader next year and he and some of his teammates go to a trainer that works them out "old school". Tractor tire flips, stump-pulling, cinder block curls, etc. And believe me when I say they are spent when its over. But it is not free weights and bench pressing and the like. I just wanted to see what everyone is doing or seeing done. And any stories of benefits and stories that it backfired.
At Spencer County Middle, we do many of these same items that you described as "old school".

Personally, this will be my 15th year coaching at this level. I have learned that there is a big difference between a 7th grader and an 8th grader. There is an even bigger gap between a 6th grader and an 8th grader. It seems like the spring/summer of their 7th grade year (going into 8th grade) is when a majority of them hit a growth spurt. It is different for every kid, but overall I think that is basically a true statement. Like you, I have heard of a lot of different coaches who have their theories on how successful weight lifting is or isn't for their respective programs.

In my personal experience, I just think that for someone to run a weight program with this aged kids, they need to be very specifically trained and able to place close (almost individual) attention to each player. Some of these young players have older brothers and they may hear the numbers those older guys spout with regards to their bench, squat, dead lift, etc. I would say it wouldn't be a stretch for some younger guy to get under weight he isn't ready for and potentially injure himself. They don't understand that at first, especially, they are training their muscles and not their ego.

We have spring practices where we focus on true fundamentals - stances, hands, feet, eyes, etc. We do plenty of work to get the kids faster, explosive movements, some resistance training (medicine balls, etc.), and overall skills drills. When we go outside, we also use tractor tires, ropes, our sleds (blocking and speed sleds). We throw in some conditioning stuff, but that is mainly to keep them "in the groove". What you do now as far as running them probably isn't going to be there in July when we all start back. As coaches, we just try to focus on team-building, competing in every drill (a lot of this) versus other guys, and having some fun in the process. This gives us a great opportunity to actually correct and coach whereas those things sometimes slip by, especially once the season starts and you are preparing for games.

One other thing, we use our 7 on 7 stuff to also instruct a lot of things. This way, we are reinforcing those items once the season starts. 7 on 7s have helped us 10 times more with our defense than our offense. Don't get me wrong, our kids love to throw, catch and score, but our defense has improved way more than our offense because of our involvment in these 7 on 7s. I will swear to that and am willing to show you film before and after. That is one reason I always shake my head when I hear a coach who won't do 7 on 7s say "we don't throw the ball". Those are the guys I love to play against once the season starts!
Thanks for the info. It was very informative.
Bigger Faster Stronger has a readiness program that is design for athletes below the freshman yr. I believe Morgan Co uses a version of what they do with their HS kids and uses the same program that Estill Co HS uses.

Old School works great. Unless th ekid si going to keep doing it through the summer and to the season you are not going to see the gain remain. If someone was interested in doing it weights I would highly suggest a program like BFS.
I like to think they should hit the weights.It can make them stronger but may stunt there growth.
HAMPTON#55 Wrote:I like to think they should hit the weights.It can make them stronger but may stunt there growth.

Everyone I have spoken with has said age 14. I know there are younger kids out there lifting but I dont want to do damage. just getting some ideas.