Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Kentucky kids who should've never gotten out of state
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
:HitWall: Watching Scotty Hopson hit the nail in the coffin three against UK reminded me of Tubby's mistake of letting Chris Lofton get away. I've looked over Rivals.com recruiting database over the last decade, for both football and basketball. In your opinion, who are some of the Kentucky kids that both UK and Louisville let slip out of state in both sports? IMHO, we've let a few get away.
Active college basketball players..

Shelvin Mack - Butler
Scotty Hopson- Tennessee
Vee Sanford - Georgetown..
Overrated Wrote:Active college basketball players..

Shelvin Mack - Butler
Scotty Hopson- Tennessee
Vee Sanford - Georgetown..

:Thumbs:

I am not sure UK or Louisville ever had a chance with Mack or Hopson. They were committed pretty early if I remember correctly, (which I may be wrong about)
HMMMM chris lofton, scotty hopson, vee sanford
And where would have Vee Sanford fit in? He'd be a bench guy with the recruits we have here and who are coming. Why have him sit the UK bench? As for Lofton, Bradley came is as a higher recruit and Chris. Their careers didn't pan out that way, but you can't base a question like this on what local kids you would like to stay here when you add into the equation of what you can get outside of the state. Chris's stock dropped significantly when he got sick his Sr. year. It's easy to say UK or UofL should have kept him, but the prognosis was not good that he would pan out into a D1 player. So, do you keep him just because he is from the state of KY?
Stardust Wrote:And where would have Vee Sanford fit in? He'd be a bench guy with the recruits we have here and who are coming. Why have him sit the UK bench? As for Lofton, Bradley came is as a higher recruit and Chris. Their careers didn't pan out that way, but you can't base a question like this on what local kids you would like to stay here when you add into the equation of what you can get outside of the state. Chris's stock dropped significantly when he got sick his Sr. year. It's easy to say UK or UofL should have kept him, but the prognosis was not good that he would pan out into a D1 player. So, do you keep him just because he is from the state of KY?

Good post...Sanford is not a bad player...Lofton and bradley...no comparison id take lofton anyday! But i agree he was a higher recruit and that makes you want bradley more than lofton
The Blue Blur Wrote::HitWall: Watching Scotty Hopson hit the nail in the coffin three against UK reminded me of Tubby's mistake of letting Chris Lofton get away. I've looked over Rivals.com recruiting database over the last decade, for both football and basketball. In your opinion, who are some of the Kentucky kids that both UK and Louisville let slip out of state in both sports? IMHO, we've let a few get away.

Scott Draud back in the late 80's
Lofton is the nail in the coffin that was Tubby's tenure at UK. Allowing a under the radar talent to go to UT when he wanted to go to UK was a downer for the state. However, I still feel like Miller is a better team player than Scotty Hopson even though he is a great scorer.
Stardust Wrote:And where would have Vee Sanford fit in? He'd be a bench guy with the recruits we have here and who are coming. Why have him sit the UK bench? As for Lofton, Bradley came is as a higher recruit and Chris. Their careers didn't pan out that way, but you can't base a question like this on what local kids you would like to stay here when you add into the equation of what you can get outside of the state. Chris's stock dropped significantly when he got sick his Sr. year. It's easy to say UK or UofL should have kept him, but the prognosis was not good that he would pan out into a D1 player. So, do you keep him just because he is from the state of KY?

Just to be honest, I'd rather see a Kentucky kid stay at home if he truely wants to than bring in an outside higher recruit. I know you can't let every kid from Kentucky who wants to stay here, player here. Like Vee Sanford for instance, good player, top tier D1 quality but I wouldn't take him over Wall, Bledsoe, or Hood. I'd probably taken him over Dobson, but that's just my personal opinion. I'm just saying outside talent can come here and flop just as easy as inside state talent. I just think you take a chance on instate kids. We may have never had a shot at Mack or Hopson, they may have committed early but they can always decommit. You have got to make the instate kids feel a bit more wanted. I love how this years recruiting class has represented UK but a team like the Unforgettables just defines Bluegrass pride. Even as a UK fan, it feels good to see the likes of Preston Knowles take the floor for UofL.
I didn't know it was just about Uk and Lville. Isn't their other D1 colleges in the state? JW
Hindsight is always 20/20.
Overrated Wrote:I didn't know it was just about Uk and Lville. Isn't their other D1 colleges in the state? JW

The only WKU players that I can name are Sparks (went to UK), Duncan (great player that was plagued with injuries) and Courtney Lee. Other than Sparks the other two are from out of state....I think.
I really wish JR VanHoose would have been able to play at MSU or WKU. I think he ended up going to Marshall for the 4 years.
Overrated Wrote:I didn't know it was just about Uk and Lville. Isn't their other D1 colleges in the state? JW

No but the marquee programs in Kentucky, are Louisville and UK.
Based on Scotty doesn't know comments about Lofton's recruiting dooming "Tubby", wonder what the Tarheels fans are saying about Roy Williams on the recruiting of John Wall.