Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: (2)Kentucky 82 - South Carolina 61
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Final! Revenge!

Patterson has a MONSTER game with a season high 23 points, John Wall sets the record for the most free throws made as a freshman, and Cousins gets his 17th double double!! Great overall game! Congrats Cats!
there was no doubt in my mind that UK would win this game by at least 15. even when it got to 5. you could just see that it was all USC had left. Downey got his 25 maybe? he matched pts with number of shots? maybe he had 27. im not sure. we almost matched his points with our margin of win. i wonder how the south carolina student body is taking this? haha
Great game by the Cats. Nice payback for the only loss of the season.
Very frustrating first 35 minutes to watch (for me at least). Wall was sloppy, Bledsoe was sloppy. But the good thing is Patterson was solid, Cousins was solid.

I'm sorry but I seriously think Devan Downey is the most overrated player in the SEC. He is the reason that the Gamecocks have so many losses on their schedule. A point guard is supposed to make his teammates better, get them involved in the game. When you're 5'9'' and you jack up shots like he does you do nothing but hurt your team. I mean come on. A lot of his shots have 0.1% of going in the basket. I know he has had UK's number in the past and I don't particularly care for him as a player, but how can you argue that he is not overrated?

On a better note: Patterson has really stepped up his play the last three games and is playing like he did in his freshmen and sophomore years. Him and Cousins are impossible to stop inside. They're too big, too physical, and just flat out better than any other post duo in the country. If you want to argue Kansas has the better duo: I say Cole Aldrich of Kansas and Cousins are right on par with each other in terms of dominance, but I would give the edge to Patterson over Marcus Morris.

Back to this game: I liked our play in the last five minutes of the game. We got out and filled the lanes in transition. We played like we were capable of. I'm sorry but this South Carolina team is flat out bad. Our loss at USC is a bad loss. But anyhow, a win is a win. I know I sound like a typical UK fan with this post, but I just had to share my arrogance.

Go Big Blue!
Great game PPAT...thats why you are my favorite to watch and UK...Downey done what i said and got more than 25 (he had 26 and 5 assists)..Say what you want but he is a great player and will make it at the next level! Miller stepped up on D tonight and also had some big rebounds!
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Very frustrating first 35 minutes to watch (for me at least). Wall was sloppy, Bledsoe was sloppy. But the good thing is Patterson was solid, Cousins was solid.

I'm sorry but I seriously think Devan Downey is the most overrated player in the SEC. He is the reason that the Gamecocks have so many losses on their schedule. A point guard is supposed to make his teammates better, get them involved in the game. When you're 5'9'' and you jack up shots like he does you do nothing but hurt your team. I mean come on. A lot of his shots have 0.1% of going in the basket. I know he has had UK's number in the past and I don't particularly care for him as a player, but how can you argue that he is not overrated?

On a better note: Patterson has really stepped up his play the last three games and is playing like he did in his freshmen and sophomore years. Him and Cousins are impossible to stop inside. They're too big, too physical, and just flat out better than any other post duo in the country. If you want to argue Kansas has the better duo: I say Cole Aldrich of Kansas and Cousins are right on par with each other in terms of dominance, but I would give the edge to Patterson over Marcus Morris.

Back to this game: I liked our play in the last five minutes of the game. We got out and filled the lanes in transition. We played like we were capable of. I'm sorry but this South Carolina team is flat out bad. Our loss at USC is a bad loss. But anyhow, a win is a win. I know I sound like a typical UK fan with this post, but I just had to share my arrogance.

Go Big Blue!

Well Donwey avg 27 points a game (leads SEC) avg almost 5 assists a game ( on a very weak team) and leads the NCAA in steal! He avg 41% shooting not to shabby! and he gets to the line at will! and makes most of them!
Not to overrated to me! No matter which sports analysits you ask they say Downey is great and is the only reason that SC wins the games they do...If you say without Donwey on SC they would have won the games they won you are stupid!
Good win for the CATS! Patterson is beginning to show what he is capable of. If Cousins and Patterson have good games, I believe the CATS are unbeatable.
theVILLE Wrote:Well Donwey avg 27 points a game (leads SEC) avg almost 5 assists a game ( on a very weak team) and leads the NCAA in steal! He avg 41% shooting not to shabby! and he gets to the line at will! and makes most of them!
Not to overrated to me! No matter which sports analysits you ask they say Downey is great and is the only reason that SC wins the games they do...If you say without Donwey on SC they would have won the games they won you are stupid!

You need to cut that out. Re-read the rules.
About what I expected - Downey squeezes off 26 shots, hits 36% of them and SC loses by 20+. Patterson and Cousin dominated the inside and Orton had a solid game too.
theVILLE Wrote:Well Donwey avg 27 points a game (leads SEC) avg almost 5 assists a game ( on a very weak team) and leads the NCAA in steal! He avg 41% shooting not to shabby! and he gets to the line at will! and makes most of them!

If Downey played like a point guard is supposed to they would have more wins and less losses than they do right now. Downey is a great talent, don't get me wrong. But you or anyone else will never change my mind to thinking that he isn't overrated. Downey can shoot and if he would use that weapon wiser then this team could have at least three our four more wins at this point. USC is a pretty bad team and I understand Archie being out has a big effect on this too, but even without him, USC could have won three or four more games than they have right now. I mean, we might even be talking about them as a bubble team right now.

Downey is a scoring guard, not a passing guard: but I seriously thought "ball-hogging" ended in high school. Muldrow isn't a bad player. Jackson is pretty decent himself. I say this USC team is a "bad" team not because of the talent being so bad. It's because of they way the play (Downey shoots it 78% of the time). After Downey leaves and Coach Horne gets his recruits at USC, I think they can be a contender in the SEC consistently.
I would agree that Downey is a GREAT Player, but when you shoot the ball over 30 times a game, **** no wonder he leads the league in scoring... They will have to ICE his shoulder like a baseball pitcher to have him ready for Saturday game. However, he can still BALL.

Patterson is starting to play his best basketball at the right time for Kentucky, you put him and "Big Cuz" down low, I don't know if anyone else in America, has two better people down low than that... But, we have to start making some outside shots beyond the ARC, shooting 19% is not going to get it against a good team.
Congrats CATS!!!
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Very frustrating first 35 minutes to watch (for me at least). Wall was sloppy, Bledsoe was sloppy. But the good thing is Patterson was solid, Cousins was solid.

Go Big Blue!

Oh yeah here are some stats he shot between Downey and Wall
Downey- FG -9-25 (36%) for 25 points
Rebounds-4
ASsists- 5
Steals-2
Turnovers-5

John Wall- FG-4-15 (26%) for 12 points
Rebs-5
Asssists-4
Steals-2
Turnovers-6

Which one is overrated? Neither of them really...they both are great players and Play on to totaly different teams of there needs!
outdoorsman43 Wrote:If Downey played like a point guard is supposed to they would have more wins and less losses than they do right now. Downey is a great talent, don't get me wrong. But you or anyone else will never change my mind to thinking that he isn't overrated. Downey can shoot and if he would use that weapon wiser then this team could have at least three our four more wins at this point. USC is a pretty bad team and I understand Archie being out has a big effect on this too, but even without him, USC could have won three or four more games than they have right now. I mean, we might even be talking about them as a bubble team right now.

Downey is a scoring guard, not a passing guard: but I seriously thought "ball-hogging" ended in high school. Muldrow isn't a bad player. Jackson is pretty decent himself. I say this USC team is a "bad" team not because of the talent being so bad. It's because of they way the play (Downey shoots it 78% of the time). After Downey leaves and Coach Horne gets his recruits at USC, I think they can be a contender in the SEC consistently.

How is a PG suppose to play???Downey had more points and assists and shot a better % than wall and had fewer TO's than wall
greenstuff22 Wrote:there was no doubt in my mind that UK would win this game by at least 15. even when it got to 5. you could just see that it was all USC had left. Downey got his 25 maybe? he matched pts with number of shots? maybe he had 27. im not sure. we almost matched his points with our margin of win. i wonder how the south carolina student body is taking this? haha

Oh and wall shot more shots than the number of points and Downey shot better %Confusedhh:
theVILLE Wrote:How is a PG suppose to play???Downey had more points and assists and shot a better % than wall and had fewer TO's than wall

Why don't you read the whole post when arguing? I told you how a point guard is supposed to play. Did I say Wall had a good game? Heck, Downey outperformed the daylights out of John Wall tonight. But UK has the talent to overcome bad nights from certain players.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Why don't you read the whole post when arguing? I told you how a point guard is supposed to play. Did I say Wall had a good game? Heck, Downey outperformed the daylights out of John Wall tonight. But UK has the talent to overcome bad nights from certain players.

Agreed! UK has the talent to overcome! SC doesnt and thats why they were on the losing side tonight...Downey is a great player and will make it at the next level...maybe nothing like wall will but Downey is a better college player! you or nobody else will convince me other wise
Downey missed 34 shots in two games this season against Kentucky. Wow, he's amazing.
Downey has the 8th best FG shooting percentage on his team, he took 37 percent of the team's shots tonight and his team lost by 21. Those are not the numbers of a national Player of the Year candidate.

When a point guard hogs the ball and looks to shoot first, his teammates tend to stand around and wait for him to shoot. IMO, the fact that Downey takes so many bad shots, especially as a senior, does not reflect favorably on his coach.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Downey missed 34 shots in two games this season against Kentucky. Wow, he's amazing.
Interesting stat. To put in another way, Downey missed more shots in each of the games against UK than any other player on either team attempted.
theVILLE Wrote:Agreed! UK has the talent to overcome! SC doesnt and thats why they were on the losing side tonight...Downey is a great player and will make it at the next level...maybe nothing like wall will but Downey is a better college player! you or nobody else will convince me other wise

If Wall stuck around to his senior year (like Downey), he would be head and shoulders the better college player. As a Freshmen was Downey as good as Wall as a Freshmen? I think not.
Did u see wall talking to the ref after that call when downey missed the layup lol. i havent seen wall say nothing all year
Strong strong game by the cats. I thought that they showed a lot of tourney poise. They lost the lead and it was down to 6 points but UK pushed on the gas and pushed it to a 20 pt lead by the end. Patterson, was the kind of player that we need to win a title. I think that Miller, and Orton contributed the way that we need them to as well. I can not wait for the post season.
[quote=outdoorsman43]Very frustrating first 35 minutes to watch (for me at least). Wall was sloppy, Bledsoe was sloppy. But the good thing is Patterson was solid, Cousins was solid.

:Thumbs::Thumbs:
If comparing freshman to seniors it speaks well of Wall to even be compared as a freshman to the what some believe is the best senior player of all time.
Wow, I am still shocked that people are still so short sighted on what Devon Downey does on the floor. All they want to look at is his missed shots. I'll address the missed shots in a moment.

This kid has one gear - OVERDRIVE. His intensity and drive is second to none. By far, the talent on the other side of the ball is better in every game he plays. But, he outplays the talent on the overside night in and night out. His hustle, intensity and drive for en ENTIRE game is constant. He creates havic on the other side that cannot be coached.

As for his missed shots, is everyone so blind to see what happens to his missed shots? Is everyone blind to the number of putbacks that USC has scored over two games against UK? Is everyone so naive to see that his teammates are in PERFECT position to get the offensive rebound away from the opposition because the defense in attempting to play him instead of boxing out the offensive rebounder. People are completely out of the "KNOW" when it comes to basektball that they don't see that his missed shots are ASSITSTS! His missed shots are not from the field, it's his layups. This is by design, yet there is so much jealousy of this young man that people are ignorant to what he really does.

Hey, If Magic Johnson feels Downey has a place in the NBA, I'll take his opinion of those neysayers on here!
IMO after the loss @ USC. Patterson enrolled in the Chuck Hayes School of Leadership and is passing with flying colors so far.
Stardust Wrote:Wow, I am still shocked that people are still so short sighted on what Devon Downey does on the floor. All they want to look at is his missed shots. I'll address the missed shots in a moment.

This kid has one gear - OVERDRIVE. His intensity and drive is second to none. By far, the talent on the other side of the ball is better in every game he plays. But, he outplays the talent on the overside night in and night out. His hustle, intensity and drive for en ENTIRE game is constant. He creates havic on the other side that cannot be coached.

As for his missed shots, is everyone so blind to see what happens to his missed shots? Is everyone blind to the number of putbacks that USC has scored over two games against UK? Is everyone so naive to see that his teammates are in PERFECT position to get the offensive rebound away from the opposition because the defense in attempting to play him instead of boxing out the offensive rebounder. People are completely out of the "KNOW" when it comes to basektball that they don't see that his missed shots are ASSITSTS! His missed shots are not from the field, it's his layups. This is by design, yet there is so much jealousy of this young man that people are ignorant to what he really does.

Hey, If Magic Johnson feels Downey has a place in the NBA, I'll take his opinion of those neysayers on here!

You can have him on your team, I'll take Lebron James any day over Devan Downey creating so called "assists" to his teammates by missing the entire goal on his behind the back 360 no look layup.

You have to be the weirdest UK an ever. You take up for every team that UK plays.
Good win. I wished it had been by 41.
What Downey done is irrelevant. South Carolina got their ***** handed to them, and it didnt matter if Downey had 35 points, they still got beat 21...and it made it even better with Big Ben sportin the UK blue Big Grin
Pages: 1 2