Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: (2)Kentucky 73 - (12)Tennessee 62
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Final!
Zone had the Cats rattled. Good win though
Wildcats struggled with Tennessee's zone defense for the first 32 minutes of this game and then at the 8 min mark in the 2nd half its like the lights turned on for the Wildcats and they went on a 20-4 run!!

Wall struggled with the Vols defense but still had an amazing game!
Wall had 24pts, 4rebs, and 3asts! 16 of which came in the 2nd half!
Bledsoe had 16pts, 4asts, 3rebs.
Patterson had 10pts and 7 rebounds
Cousins struggled with his freethrows going 1-8 but still had 5pts and 12rebs.

Congrats Cats great win!
Cousins is a MONSTER!
Good, competitive game. I thought Bruce Pearl outcoached Cal tonight, but in the end, UK just had too much talent and the homecourt advantage. Good game by Wall and Bledsoe. Good job of executing a great gameplan by UT. I also thought UT did a great job of completely taking Cousins out of the game, who spent more time crying and complaining, than he did playing basketball. Should be another good game when the two meet in Knoxville. GO VOLS!
leecoukfan Wrote:Cousins is a MONSTER!

This was supposed to have a pic attached to it
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:Good, competitive game. I thought Bruce Pearl outcoached Cal tonight, but in the end, UK just had too much talent and the homecourt advantage. Good game by Wall and Bledsoe. Good job of executing a great gameplan by UT. I also thought UT did a great job of completely taking Cousins out of the game, who spent more time crying and complaining, than he did playing basketball. Should be another good game when the two meet in Knoxville. GO VOLS!

I must agree the Vols did a great job tonight and have the ability to beat anyone on any given night if their minds are there, otherwise they have a "Vandy Game". Pearl IMO is probley the most consistent coach the SEC has seen since Pitino.
leecoukfan Wrote:Cousins is a MONSTER!

Not one of his typical SEC scoring nights tonight
leecoukfan Wrote:Wildcats struggled with Tennessee's zone defense for the first 32 minutes of this game and then at the 8 min mark in the 2nd half its like the lights turned on for the Wildcats and they went on a 20-4 run!!

Wall struggled with the Vols defense but still had an amazing game!
Wall had 24pts, 4rebs, and 3asts! 16 of which came in the 2nd half!
Bledsoe had 16pts, 4asts, 3rebs.
Patterson had 10pts and 7 rebounds
Cousins struggled with his freethrows going 1-8 but still had 5pts and 12rebs.

Congrats Cats great win!

I agree,it was the Wall and Bledsoe show at the 8 minute mark,that was the ballgame.Good win by the Cats.
What was so different about the uniforms? I thought they were supposed to have different ons?
Good win Cats.....fell kinda bad considerin the Vols gotta deal with a loss and their library burnin down, they lost both books and bad thing is the didnt even getta finish colorin one of em'. :biggrin:
UT played a zone that kentucky wasnt prepared for. Cal made some adjustments at half time and led the cats to victory. See now . Look at this. All they worried about was cuzins and did a great job keeping him defended. but then look what happens. Superstar wall and bledsoe gets some room to operate and they kill you.
Stardust Wrote:Not one of his typical SEC scoring nights tonight

I know, I just like that picture because it capture's his firey passion for the game!
Cal said he didn't have the team ready for the 3-2 zone defense Tennessee used.

Kentucky obviously had much more talent tonight, because it showed.

Tennessee fought hard and made some nice plays, but UK simply had more talent.
Pretty good night for UK when they only get 5 points from Cousins and 10 from Patterson, yet still beat a top-20 team by double digits. Cousins actually played better than a five-point night would indicate, but that's what going 1-8 from the foul line will do for your stats.

Wall played good, although he still had too many turnovers. Bledsoe really turned it on in the second half, good to see a game like that from him.

Aside from the main guys, the Cats really got nice contributions from some of the role players too. Liggins had a terrific night, with 7 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, and 2 steals, not to mention playing very good defense. Orton also played well, with 4 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 blocks.

All in all, another game where UK let an overmatched team hang around longer than they should've. But, just like in every other such game except USC, they turned it on in the end.
It's save to say, UK will see more zone the rest of the season. I really don't think it will cause any loses. UK plays in a weak conference and is definitely on another level than the rest of the SEC. But upsets happen(USC) and thats why you play the game and sports is great, you just never know.
Cal better prepare against the zone though. I guarentee the elite teams will throw it at UK in the big dance and UK won't be able to just win on talent against teams like KU, Cuse, Nova, and Gtown. Cuse is a dangerous team with that zone and could give UK fits.
Don't get me wrong this is a good win, but in order to get better you have to look at your flaws and what you did wrong, not what you did well.
Good to see "I don't want to play for UK" Scotty get beat.
I'm just glad Cousins didn't do anything stupid in this game. All the teams know how to get to him, but I thought Pearls boys really pushed the right buttoms on him in this one. He really wanted to go off on Tenn.!
way to go cats
Ohhhh c a t s cats cats cats!
Great basketball game
UT played hard and had a good game plan. I thought Coach Pearl could have use a few more time outs and made adjustments during the UK run. Coach Cal made some good half time adjustments. I thought the Cats done a great job on Chism after getting a quick 10 in the first half I think he only got 2 or 4 in the second. This game shows why you can't key on shutting down any one player for UK. I was glad to see Bledsoe and Wall go off in the second half. We just need to cut down the turnovers, can't turn the ball over that much in the NCAA tourny to give great teams extra possessions. Overall a good game and a win over a top 15 team by double digits.
As Aslan mentioned, we will see the 2-3 zone coming more and more. I felt that we were so frustrated by it in first half that one of the biggest aspects of the game was actually being up by 1 at half. In the second it took us a little while to stop rotation the ball back and forth around the arc but when the attack started the deficit turned into an 8 point lead. Im sure that Cal will be working with them in practice to make sure that they can get through a full game without being frustrated by that zone.
Wall played amazing in the 2nd half along with Bledsoe's strong 16. With Cuz having a rough go of it on the offensive side, I was EXTREMELY happy to see us pic up the slack on the scoring and got Orton involved. So much depth on this team and the shortening of the rotation is allowing us to focus on who will be in the game at key moments.
I was really proud of the fight in the guys tonight considering that Tenn jumped on a 4 point lead with 10 minutes to go. After that point the game changed gears defensively and we didnt allow Chism the room or opportunity to add too many points to his 10 in the first half. Great effort by the Cats and all of the Cats fans that make the Gameday an unique experience. Like Cal said on the post game report...... "You have no idea how much that effects recruiting." ------ OH YEAH!!
pearl still has not beat kentucky..great win
TheRealVille Wrote:Good to see "I don't want to play for UK" Scotty get beat.

:Thumbs:
logmountainboy64 Wrote:pearl still has not beat kentucky..great win

Not that it really matters... But... Bruce Pearl has beaten Kentucky 3 times.
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:Not that it really matters... But... Bruce Pearl has beaten Kentucky 3 times.

I dont know how UK fans can forget that. He has had some luck against us but Cal has the players to stop that!! TongueirateSho