Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top 5 best shooters *EVER*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What is the best 3 point shooters ever
College? Pro?
college!
If NBA I say Reggie, Ray Allen, Peja and Bird.
lwc Wrote:If NBA I say Reggie, Ray Allen, Peja and Bird.

What about at the college level??
If College then I say: Reddick, Delk and Lofton.

I can't attest to much because my mind is not working
lwc Wrote:If College then I say: Reddick, Delk and Lofton.

I can't attest to much because my mind is not working

Mine either! Very rough morning for me..Cant seem to get going
Since you narrowed it to three-point shooters, that eliminates a lot of great shooters (Pete Maravich, Jerry West, Larry Bird, Chris Mullin and the list could go on and on) since the three-point line was not implimented in the NCAA until 1987.

Off the top off my head I would say (in no particular order) JJ Redick (Duke), Stephen Curry (Davidson), Steve Kerr (Arizona) (although he only played one year with the three-point line) Tony Delk (UK), Keith Veney (Marshall) and I have to throw in Alex Ruoff (WVU).
JJ Redick, Chris Lofton, Ray Allen, AJ Graves from Butler, and Steve Novak from Marquette.
Tony Delk, JJ Reddick,
[quote=ImagineThat!]Since you narrowed it to three-point shooters, that eliminates a lot of great shooters (Pete Maravich, Jerry West, Larry Bird, Chris Mullin and the list could go on and on) since the three-point line was not implimented in the NCAA until 1987.

Off the top off my head I would say (in no particular order) JJ Redick (Duke), Stephen Curry (Davidson), Steve Kerr (Arizona) (although he only played one year with the three-point line) Tony Delk (UK), Keith Veney (Marshall) and I have to throw in Alex Ruoff (WVU).[/QUOTE]

Before people call you a "homer" for picking Ruoff, I TOTALLY agree. Ruoff and Pendegraph (sp?) Were pretty good shooters.
Reddick, G McNamara, Acie Law..Best clutch shooters anyway.
ImagineThat! Wrote:Since you narrowed it to three-point shooters, that eliminates a lot of great shooters (Pete Maravich, Jerry West, Larry Bird, Chris Mullin and the list could go on and on) since the three-point line was not implimented in the NCAA until 1987.

Off the top off my head I would say (in no particular order) JJ Redick (Duke), Stephen Curry (Davidson), Steve Kerr (Arizona) (although he only played one year with the three-point line) Tony Delk (UK), Keith Veney (Marshall) and I have to throw in Alex Ruoff (WVU).

Yes i can agree witht eh ruoff! as bad as i hate to say that..lol
Pete Maravich.

How has he not been mentioned yet?
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Pete Maravich.

How has he not been mentioned yet?

No 3 pointers in his day
back_in_black Wrote:No 3 pointers in his day

Exactly. The man averaged 44 points per game without the three-point line.

The thread title said "Top 5 shooters ever", not top 5 three-point shooters.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Exactly. The man averaged 44 points per game without the three-point line.

The thread title said "Top 5 shooters ever", not top 5 three-point shooters.

That's exactly right. All of Maraviches games were recharted and it was determined that if the 3 point line had been in existance he would have averaged (13) 3point shots a game. That's right averaged!!!! Which would have meant that he would have averaged 57 points per game for 3 straight seasons.

How can any other name even be brought up? It's not even close. Maravich in a landslide.
^Agreed.
theVILLE Wrote:What is the best 3 point shooters ever

ImagineThat! Wrote:Since you narrowed it to three-point shooters, that eliminates a lot of great shooters (Pete Maravich, Jerry West, Larry Bird, Chris Mullin and the list could go on and on) since the three-point line was not implimented in the NCAA until 1987.

Mr.Kimball Wrote:That's exactly right. All of Maraviches games were recharted and it was determined that if the 3 point line had been in existance he would have averaged (13) 3point shots a game. That's right averaged!!!! Which would have meant that he would have averaged 57 points per game for 3 straight seasons.

How can any other name even be brought up? It's not even close. Maravich in a landslide.

I agree Kimball as I mentioned in my above post. When narrowing it down to three-point shooters you leave out some of the best shooters of all time.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:That's exactly right. All of Maraviches games were recharted and it was determined that if the 3 point line had been in existance he would have averaged (13) 3point shots a game. That's right averaged!!!! Which would have meant that he would have averaged 57 points per game for 3 straight seasons.

I cant believe im saying this but..... Agreed.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:I cant believe im saying this but..... Agreed.

lol
I'm not sure how many poeple on here actually saw Maravich play:popcorn:
i did
Stardust Wrote:I'm not sure how many poeple on here actually saw Maravich play:popcorn:

:howdy:
58fan Wrote:i did

Mr.Kimball Wrote::howdy:

And you can use a computer? You guy's went from chiseling on rocks, to the electronic age :biggrin:

JK - I never saw Pistol Pete. He preceeded my time and I am one of the more mature posters on this site. I've stories, read books and watched video, but have no way of comparing him from actually seeing how he played the game
Stardust Wrote:And you can use a computer? You guy's went from chiseling on rocks, to the electronic age :biggrin:

JK - I never saw Pistol Pete. He preceeded my time and I am one of the more mature posters on this site. I've stories, read books and watched video, but have no way of comparing him from actually seeing how he played the game

LOL. Funny stuff there Dusty!!!

A lot of people have done the same thing and know only about "Pistol Pete" the basketball player. Here is clip that many dont really know about Pete though. Just thought I would throw this in. Hope someone out there will enjoy this part of Pete.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5s6xIZfQtQ&feature=related"]YouTube- Pete Maravich Testimony 1987 (Billy Graham Crusade)[/ame]
I would like to throw in The Machine, Travis Grant. He was a one deminsional player but none the less he was a great shooter. He played at Kentucky State in early 70's and averaged 34.5 per game and scored over 4,000 points in his career. He went on to be selected 13th just after Dr. J in the '72 NBA draft by the Lakers.
Rick Mount has to be at or near the top of any list of great college shooters. He scored 28 points against #1 ranked UCLA in his very first game at Purdue. Mount was the first high school player ever to appear on the cover of SI.

As a junior, Mount led the Boilermakers to a Big Ten championship and he averaged 40.6 ppg in their three NCAA Tournament games. He shot 51.5 percent from the field for the season.

Like Maravich, Mount played without the benefit of a 3-point line. As a senior, Mount scored 61 against Big Ten champion Iowa. A later analysis showed that 13 or his shots were from behind the arc - so he would have scored 74 points under today's rules.

Both Al McGuire and **** Vitale aid that Mount was the best pure shooter that they ever saw play. Mount still runs shooting camps throughout the Midwest.
Greatest outside shooter ever? Freeman Williams - Portland State. If there would have been a three point line, he would have averaged 60
Allen Houston-Tenn.
Chris Jackson-Lsu.
Reece Gaines-Lou.
Stephen Curry-Dav.
Tony Delk-UK.
Pages: 1 2