Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tell The Truth--How Many Of You Think . . . .
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
That Rich Brooks is a good coach?
I have read that a couple times in another thread--and I about choked on my dinner.
I find it amusing that a couple a Kentucky kids commit--and all of the sudden Brooks is a good coach.
Fire away. . . .
For the record--I didn't mean to vote YES. (I really want to choke now).
I'll tell you now, I was the first to vote 'NO'!
I think he's a good coach...I always have. He just inherited a living nightmare of a mess at UK along with 19 injuries last season. Give him time...He's got a nice recruiting class coming in.....ranked 28 in the nation right now
It may be ranked as the 28th best class--but in the grand scheme of things--that is not going to help the mess that they created. And no offense--the vast majority of these players are from Kentucky. We are NOT a football player producing state. UK will not be better until they can recruit on a National level. That will only happen with a better coaching staff.

How was Mumme able to take their ragtag group of players (with the exception of Couch) to winning seasons?

Also, how is Brooks a good coach when he doesn't even have a winning record for his career? He had one good year at Oregon. That is pretty much it.

Look at all of the injuries--that is the product of poor physical conditioning/training. This joker can't even get the kids READY to play football. Not to mention the fact that he can't get them ready to compete.

Brooks is a joke.

But--I am willing to listen. What makes you think that he is a good coach? What qualities does he have that make you believe that?
i went with no
No
id rather have hal mummie he is better than brooks... um that coach guy moris that left ky for baylor was a good coach he wood ove had them better than they are now.
He spent 13 years at Oregon which was a team worse than Ky thats why his record is bad. He left that program in good shape and one of his assistants is still running it. He might not be the best coach out there but he didn't inherit a great team, especially since it was on probation and had limited scholarships. I do believe he held on to Hudson too long. Also the 49ers did talk to him while he has been at Ky so he can't be all that bad. Give him time to be judged with his recruited players and then make your decision. I do believe they should make to a bowl next year with the schedule they have, if they then maybe he should be let go.
Coach Brooks may be a good coach or a good asst. coach but I have my doubts about him being a good head coach.
I think he is a good coach that has put toghether a good staff and they bust their butts on the recruiting trail. How good of a coach is he?? I don't know but he has some serious talent coming into the program now, so lets see what he and the staff do with it.
[QUOTE="TE#82"]id rather have hal mummie he is better than brooks[QUOTE]

Please tell me you are joking.....
"basketballjones" Wrote:he didn't inherit a great team, especially since it was on probation and had limited scholarships... Give him time to be judged with his recruited players and then make your decision.
EXACTLY!! With the shape that the program was in when he got it, and with some of the players that Morris had recruited, I think that Brooks just needs time to show his magic! I mean with a top 30 recruiting class (not to mention a #1 recruit) so far and a couple of other top recruits looking at UK, things can only get better. Give him time to get players that he feels fit the type of play that he knows best and the we will see. If there isn't a good improvment next season and 7-8 wins in 2007 then i say bye-bye. :Wave:
No offense--but they must have some good drugs in the other parts of the state.

As I have said before (and I hate to say it being from Kentucky)--KY RECRUITS (the vast majority) do not have what it takes to consistently perform well at the next level.

To say that these coaches are "recruiting their butts off" may be the most inaccurate statement I have heard in a while.

You guys forget--it isn't hard to recruit kids who are not getting major attention from the true power house programs--that combined with the fact that in-state kids usually want to stay in-state now--you have the same thing that UK has had for a LONG time.

Look at Louisville--they don't focus on Kentucky (just the kids from Kentucky that CAN play right away)--and they continue to move in the right direction.

The whole "Kentucky has a great recruiting class" thing is a joke. They have only continue to do what they have done in the past--recruit kids that are on the wait list at the National powers (probably because the great athletes don't want to come to KY).

Reality would be nice here guys. Brooks has been, is and will always be a losing football coach. And for anyone to say that he is the reason why Oregon is on the map has no clue what they are talking about. Mike Belotti should get the credit there. He has turned them into a CONSISTENT winner. Not like Brooks who had just a few winning seasons.
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:No offense--but they must have some good drugs in the other parts of the state.
As I have said before (and I hate to say it being from Kentucky)--KY RECRUITS (the vast majority) do not have what it takes to consistently perform well at the next level.
To say that these coaches are "recruiting their butts off" may be the most inaccurate statement I have heard in a while.
You guys forget--it isn't hard to recruit kids who are not getting major attention from the true power house programs--that combined with the fact that in-state kids usually want to stay in-state now--you have the same thing that UK has had for a LONG time.
Look at Louisville--they don't focus on Kentucky (just the kids from Kentucky that CAN play right away)--and they continue to move in the right direction.
The whole "Kentucky has a great recruiting class" thing is a joke. They have only continue to do what they have done in the past--recruit kids that are on the wait list at the National powers (probably because the great athletes don't want to come to KY).
Reality would be nice here guys. Brooks has been, is and will always be a losing football coach. And for anyone to say that he is the reason why Oregon is on the map has no clue what they are talking about. Mike Belotti should get the credit there. He has turned them into a CONSISTENT winner. Not like Brooks who had just a few winning seasons.
What your saying is true. Kentucky is not known for its high school football, but there are numerous quality players that Kentucky does not get. Brian Brohm, Micheal Bush, Eric Shealton, Montrell Jones, Rob Smith, & Gino Guiduli are just to name a few. If Kentucky is going to begin being competitive they have to keep thier fair share of these recruits. If they can not tap the in state talent how will they ever get the out of state talent they want. I think they have started to show improvment in that catagorey. They got Johnson & Fiddler. They realed in Minton, Warford, Jeffries, & Cessena. Fiddler and Minton are both 3 star recruits (on rivals.com) and Johnson is a 4 star so they are keeping some of the in state talent, in state.
As far as Louisville not looking at Kentucky. Four of the above mentioned started for UofL and are from Kentucky not to mention Mario Urrutia. UofL also taps the in state talent so lets not try to pretend they don't.
If UK is going to build a quality program they are going to start keeping the Bluegrass's best, which I think they are making strides toward doing. Is Brooks the future of KY Football? I don't know, but he is the present so I am for him.
"Matney's Prodigey" Wrote:What your saying is true. Kentucky is not known for its high school football, but there are numerous quality players that Kentucky does not get. Brian Brohm, Micheal Bush, Eric Shealton, Montrell Jones, Rob Smith, & Gino Guiduli are just to name a few. If Kentucky is going to begin being competitive they have to keep thier fair share of these recruits. If they can not tap the in state talent how will they ever get the out of state talent they want. I think they have started to show improvment in that catagorey. They got Johnson & Fiddler. They realed in Minton, Warford, Jeffries, & Cessena. Fiddler and Minton are both 3 star recruits (on rivals.com) and Johnson is a 4 star so they are keeping some of the in state talent, in state.
As far as Louisville not looking at Kentucky. Four of the above mentioned started for UofL and are from Kentucky not to mention Mario Urrutia. UofL also taps the in state talent so lets not try to pretend they don't.
If UK is going to build a quality program they are going to start keeping the Bluegrass's best, which I think they are making strides toward doing. Is Brooks the future of KY Football? I don't know, but he is the present so I am for him.

Please read my post again. I didn't say that Louisville didn't go after in school kids--I said that they only go after in school kids that could play right away (Meaning--these are the only kids, in state, that are good enough to play there).

I understand what you are getting at--but I don't think that you gave my post a fair chance because it is obvious that you didn't read exactly what I wrote.

I understand your points--and I think that you make a LOT of sense. (Especially about the type of Kentucky kids that UK needs). I am not under the impression that Cessna, Minton or Fiddler are good enough to play in the SEC. (I understand that my opinion doesn't count for much here).

What I don't understand is, if these recruites are so great--why do so many of them end up at UK? It can't just be because they want to stay close to home. I mean, really, is Kentucky a "Moma's boy" state or something? I doubt it. I just don't get the impression (from the college coaches that I have met over the years) that even the great KY players--are not good enough to play at the highest level.
THey are hitting the recruiting trails hard and I think they are working their butts off....I have been a season ticket holder for UK football for 15 years and I can't ever remember UK getting the players they want before Christmas and being done with recruiting. I know that UK won't finish with a top 20 class but I think a top 35 class is a definte possibility...If that isn't a improvement then I don't know what is. Now I want to see if the team can show any improvements because they no doubt have more talent coming in right now than I can remember in a long time. Baby steps people...UK will be much improved next season.
PHS--

I admire your loyalty--so please don't get the idea that I am trying to trash your opinion.

But--how would you justify the fact that these coaches are "working their butts off" on the recruiting trail? Seriously--they have one high profile recruit who could play where ever he wanted--that is Johnson. The rest are "wait-list" or second tier prospects. The kids who usually commit early have usually decided a long time ago (with out a lot of interaction from the coaching staff) that they are going to go to a certain school. And they do that simply to ensure that they will get one of the scholarships. If they were 4 or 5 star players--they would/could commit to somewhere a lot better than Kentucky.

I also think that this type of loyalty is the reason why UK will NEVER take football seriously. There are a lot of good people in Kentucky who will support UK through thick and thin--even if they are not doing what is right. Not to say that this is bad, PHS--but, after speaking with some of the UK coaches (every year for the past 11 years)--I have always gotten the feeling that UK fans are being taken advantage of.

For your sake (and people like you) I hope that isn't the truth.
Here are some of their other commits and who they had FULL OFFERS from...

-Josh Minton-Bama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Oklahoma, VaTech, and Wake Forest
-LaRay Foote-UNC, Auburn, Arkansas, GaTech
-LaShun Watson-UNC, Auburn
-T.C. Drake-Bama, NC State
-Chris Mosby-Arkansas, Wake Forest, Memphis
-Moncell Allen-Ole Miss, UCLA, Nebraska
-Demetrius Goode-Miss St, Ole Miss
-Ashton Cobb-Iowa, Indiana, Cincy
-Chris Drayton-Louisville
-Ricky Lumpkin-Louisville, Tennessee
-Justin Jefferies-Louisville
-Steve Johnson-Kansas St., Missouri
-Miichael Strickland-Purdue, Oregon
-Chris Cessena-Purdue
-Michael HArtline-Illinois, Wisconsin
-Ameer Salahudin-Nc State, Maryland, UNC, GaTech

Thats some pretty good schools...UK has been battling MAC schools for most of their recruits the past couple of years.
Good point (to a certain extent)--but--look at the list again--and tell me how many actually had offers from powerhouse schools . . .

Minton?
Johnson (he wasn't on the list).

Auburn is good--but they are not at powerhouse level yet (but they are close). The rest of the list is very unimpressive.

If you were to compare the same type of list for Tennessee, Florida, USC (Southern Cal), Texas, Ohio State, Penn State--you will find that their recruits have offers from much better places.

I understand that UK isn't going to get those kids right now. My point to that is that football is not taken seriously at UK, which in turn means that UK's leadership will settle for a coach like Brooks (and the rest of his staff--which isn't good compared to others). As long as that thought process exists, UK will continue to struggle.
It's a step in the right direction and that is my point...Yes all of those schools are not powerhouses but a lot of those schools are teams that go to a bowl game every season(or least most years). This staff is bringing in quality speed at needed positions, which is a must in the SEC. I don't expect us to go from battling Toledo, Ohio, Tenn Tech, EKU, etc.(like they have previously and the previous staff(s) have to battling the schools you listed but this recruiting class is a step in the right diection.
BTW, I agree with you that the loyality of UK fans has been taken advantage of for a long time. Minton, Peters(UK will get him), D.Goode, Cobb(accoding to Rivals he is one of the hottest prospects in Penn.), Parsons(he is down to Sothern Cal and UK...he would have went to UCLA but they pulled his offer but he the #22 prospect in California.), Cannon(WR that is down to Iowa, UK, and MAryland...UK will most likely get him if they have room) Jefferey Adams(has offers from Tenn, Nebraska, Oklahoma, UofL, and UK...UK has a good chance at him)....Those guys are not second-tier players. Who knows how the JUCO players will turn out..but they have some serious speed. A good indication to me that recruiting is going MUCH better than usual is that UK is pulled offers to atleast 3-5 3-star players because the rides are filling up...that is something that just doesn't happen at UK.

Sorry this post is so messy...lol...it confused me reading it. I repect your opinion though and I can tell that you know what you are talking about, and that is why I can't understand how you don't see the progress that this staff is starting to show. You have to start somewhere and I would rather take players from the schools I mentioned than what we have been doing for years. Mumme was a JOKE and left this program about as bad as it could be left for the next coach. I loved Guy Morris...he was a players coach but the fact is that Guy Morris was a HORRIBLE recruiter. When UK played at Geogia this year we took 44 scholarship players...thats right 44...My high school team has more players than that and we were class A. Is Brooks a good coach? Will Brooks ever lead us to a bowl game? I don't know the answer nor does anyone on here, but I think he should at least be given a chance to prove himself now that he is bringing some talent and serious speed into the program. Brooks has 2 more years on his contract, and the next 2 years he has a much easier schedule than he has had the previous 3 seasons. I am looking forward to seeing what Brooks will do. If he doesn't show improvement the next 2 years then he should be on the first bus out of Lexington but by looking at our sophomore, freshman, and incoming freshman classes I think we will have a better chance to reach some goals than we have had in a long time.
Cats fans need to be patient. There are some very good young players at UK. This is the first year of a full alotment of scholarships. Does anyone really think Micah Johnson would be going to UK if he thought UK wasn't moving in the right direction??? The UK players believe in Brooks and the collection of good assistants. BTW, if Brooks didn't ahve the assistants he has, I would be one that would want him outta here.
It took him a few years to build that Oregon team. You cannot just come in and go to a bowl game, He is building this program up if he dosn't take UK to a bowl game within the next 2 years we will be lookin for a new coach.
yeah hes a decent coach
Yes i believe Brooks is a good coach. i mean he was the coach of the year at one point in time. you gotta give him time. give him a chance
[QUOTE="PHSFAN"][QUOTE="TE#82"]id rather have hal mummie he is better than brooks
Quote:Please tell me you are joking.....

hal mummie did take uk to some bowl games and should of one a couple the one i remember most is when they played penn state they had couch and that tight end ... brooks hasnt did ne thing yet and wont brooks came from the pac 10 he cant coach with the sec ...uk needs to get an assitant from a sec team or conference that is strong like the sec
I voted No
Mumme would make a good offensive cordinator or QBs coach but not a head coach IMO. I mean he could care less about his defense and just wanted to try and outscore teams. I admit the games were entertaining and we did go to 2 bowl games but he also put us on probation. Mumme had no control over the program and that is a must if you are a head coach.
"PHSFAN" Wrote:BTW, I agree with you that the loyality of UK fans has been taken advantage of for a long time. Minton, *****s(UK will get him), D.Goode, Cobb(accoding to Rivals he is one of the hottest prospects in Penn.), Parsons(he is down to Sothern Cal and UK...he would have went to UCLA but they pulled his offer but he the #22 prospect in California.), Cannon(WR that is down to Iowa, UK, and MAryland...UK will most likely get him if they have room) Jefferey Adams(has offers from Tenn, Nebraska, Oklahoma, UofL, and UK...UK has a good chance at him)....Those guys are not second-tier players. Who knows how the JUCO players will turn out..but they have some serious speed. A good indication to me that recruiting is going MUCH better than usual is that UK is pulled offers to atleast 3-5 3-star players because the rides are filling up...that is something that just doesn't happen at UK.

Sorry this post is so messy...lol...it confused me reading it. I repect your opinion though and I can tell that you know what you are talking about, and that is why I can't understand how you don't see the progress that this staff is starting to show. You have to start somewhere and I would rather take players from the schools I mentioned than what we have been doing for years. Mumme was a JOKE and left this program about as bad as it could be left for the next coach. I loved Guy Morris...he was a players coach but the fact is that Guy Morris was a HORRIBLE recruiter. When UK played at Geogia this year we took 44 scholarship players...thats right 44...My high school team has more players than that and we were class A. Is Brooks a good coach? Will Brooks ever lead us to a bowl game? I don't know the answer nor does anyone on here, but I think he should at least be given a chance to prove himself now that he is bringing some talent and serious speed into the program. Brooks has 2 more years on his contract, and the next 2 years he has a much easier schedule than he has had the previous 3 seasons. I am looking forward to seeing what Brooks will do. If he doesn't show improvement the next 2 years then he should be on the first bus out of Lexington but by looking at our sophomore, freshman, and incoming freshman classes I think we will have a better chance to reach some goals than we have had in a long time.

It is hard for me to argue your points. My initial thoughts are that most of these players are not 1st tier players.

But--at the very least, you have proven your point on numerous levels--and it has helped me to see that maybe things ARE going better than what I am presenting.

I am still not at the point where I think that Brooks is a good coach--or even has the potential to be a good coach. But--AT THE VERY LEAST--Brooks and his staff are doing a LOT of things right. That is definitely the truth. So, I am going to try to keep more of an open mind about things for a while--and see where that gets me.

The one thing that I don't agree with (and this isn't directed at PHS) is that we, as UK fans, need to be patient. We have been patient through Curry, Mumme, Morris and now Brooks. Some of those guys had some success (and I agree with PHS--Morris is a heck of a coach--I realized that within 5 seconds at a clinic--when he took off his tie, jacket and got down into a pass blocking stance to demonstrate proper technique--and yes--it was solid).

But I think that we should get to the point where we are NOT patient anymore. We need to be a little more resistent to jokers like Mitch Barnhardt when they continue to make pathetic moves. Remember--we are the ones that generate income. We buy tickets, shirts, hats, etc. There has to be a point, if the losing continues, where we quit being patient.

As Kentuckians--we deserve better. ESPECIALLY since we are so loyal. That is something that should be rewarded--not taken advantage of.
Pages: 1 2