Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top 10 College Coaches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1.Gino Auriemma
2.Mike Krzyzewski
3.Roy Williams
4.Rick Pitino
5.John Calipari
6.Jim Caloun
7.Jim Boeheim
8.Billy Donovan
9.Gary Williams-Based on success in the past.
10.Pat Summit
king360 Wrote:1.Gino Auriemma
2.John Calipari
3.Roy Williams
4.Mike Krzyzewski
5.Rick Pitino
6.Jim Caloun
7.Jim Boeheim
8.Billy Donovan
10.Pat Summit

Good list
Lol that is funny.. Calipari is a great coach, and probably a top 5 coach, but you can't say he is the 2nd best coach when he has never won a championship. Every other coach on the list has won at least one, some more than that.. I know he is the UK coach and he is God in this state right now but he is not the 2nd best coach in basketball
Jimmy B is number one!!
runninrebs21 Wrote:Lol that is funny.. Calipari is a great coach, and probably a top 5 coach, but you can't say he is the 2nd best coach when he has never won a championship. Every other coach on the list has won at least one, some more than that.. I know he is the UK coach and he is God in this state right now but he is not the 2nd best coach in basketball

You know I though about that once I posted it. He was just one of the first that came to mind.lol
lol yeah I know every UK fan loves him right now, and I think he is a GREAT coach.. but he definitely can't be considered the 2nd best bball coach (1st mens) on a list. I would say he is about 4-6 somewhere in there. Wins don't mean anything without a championship
1. Coach K
2. Boeheim
3. Izzo
4. Self
5. Pitino
6. Williams
7. Wright
8. Cal
9. Few
10. Huggins
It it for now? like current years or there all time standings?
king360 Wrote:1.Gino Auriemma
2.Mike Krzyzewski
3.Roy Williams
4.Rick Pitino
5.John Calipari
6.Jim Caloun
7.Jim Boeheim
8.Billy Donovan
10.Pat Summit

Summit at 10? The only coach to win over 1,000 games. She has won 8 national titles, 18 final fours. She has been eliminated in the first or second round 1 time.
Except Gary Williams and order, good list. IMO the list should go:
1. Pat Summit
2. Geno Auiemma
3. Tom Izzo
4. Roy Williams
5. Coach K.
6. Rick Pitino
7. Jim Boeheim
8. Jim Calhoun
9. Billy Donovan (stock has fallen since winning titles)
10. John Calipari
BTW, I cannot stand women's basketball. These two teams just great coaches and could successfully coach men IMO.
A top ten list of active coaches in terms of wins:
1. Coach K 839 wins
2. Jim Calhoun 809 wins
3. Jim Boeheim 805 wins
4. Bob Huggins 644 wins
5. Tom Penders 634 wins
6. Gary Williams 629 wins
7. Homer Drew 605 wins
8. Roy Williams 600 wins
9. Bo Ryan 579 wins (353 wins @ D-III)
10. Mike Montgomery 573 wins
Other notables:
16. Rick Pitino 556 wins
21. Rick Barnes 477 wins
These numbers were as of Nov. 30, 2009

What ever the reason, Calipari was not listed top 25 of active coaches despite the fact he has more wins than 3 coaches listed. As of today Calipari has 465 wins.
runninrebs21 Wrote:Lol that is funny.. Calipari is a great coach, and probably a top 5 coach, but you can't say he is the 2nd best coach when he has never won a championship. Every other coach on the list has won at least one, some more than that.. I know he is the UK coach and he is God in this state right now but he is not the 2nd best coach in basketball

Good post.
Jarons Wrote:A top ten list of active coaches in terms of wins:
1. Coach K 839 wins
2. Jim Calhoun 809 wins
3. Jim Boeheim 805 wins
4. Bob Huggins 644 wins
5. Tom Penders 634 wins
6. Gary Williams 629 wins
7. Homer Drew 605 wins
8. Roy Williams 600 wins
9. Bo Ryan 579 wins (353 wins @ D-III)
10. Mike Montgomery 573 wins
Other notables:
16. Rick Pitino 556 wins
21. Rick Barnes 477 wins
These numbers were as of Nov. 30, 2009

What ever the reason, Calipari was not listed top 25 of active coaches despite the fact he has more wins than 3 coaches listed. As of today Calipari has 465 wins.

Rick already has 477! That shocks me. That means he could win his 500th next year possibly.
Jarons Wrote:Summit at 10? The only coach to win over 1,000 games. She has won 8 national titles, 18 final fours. She has been eliminated in the first or second round 1 time.
1. Pat Summit
2. Geno Auiemma
3. Tom Izzo
4. Roy Williams
5. Coach K.
6. Rick Pitino
7. Jim Boeheim
8. Jim Calhoun
10. John Calipari
BTW, I cannot stand women's basketball. These two teams just great coaches and could successfully coach men IMO.

I really like this list. I just want to add Mark Few and Jay Wright at 10a and 10b.
I don't really think that you can rank the best coaches in a certain order. Coach K, Pitino, Boeheim, Calhoun, Calipari, are all great, really can't rank them in a certian order. I wouldn't put Pat Summit on my list, coaching men and women, is completely different. Jamie Dixon is extremely underrated, he wins with less talented teams. IMO Billy D is overrated. Yes, I know he won the back to back titles, but he's not even made the field of 64 since then with some very talented teams.
Aslan Wrote:I don't really think that you can rank the best coaches in a certain order. Coach K, Pitino, Boeheim, Calhoun, Calipari, are all great, really can't rank them in a certian order. I wouldn't put Pat Summit on my list, coaching men and women, is completely different. Jamie Dixon is extremely underrated, he wins with less talented teams. IMO Billy D is overrated. Yes, I know he won the back to back titles, but he's not even made the field of 64 since then with some very talented teams.

It is hard for me to agree. Don't forget that he has 3 Final Fours. I don't believe that he is top 10 but I would say he is anywhere from 11-15. His only problem as you stated is consistency. He has proven that he can win without Noah/Horford/Brewer, etc... He just needs to prove that he can win CONSISTENTLY
Before I get critized all these guys are winners, btw I'm not puttin womens coaches on my list, its a different game and they couldn't cut it in mens basketball.

1.)Jim Boeheim-Syracuse
2.)Rick Pitino-U of L
3.)Roy Williams-UNC
4.)Coach K-Duke
5.)John Calipari-UK
6.)Tom Izzo-MSU
7.)Bobby Huggins-WVU
8.)Mark Few-Gonzaga
9A.)Bruce Peral-Tenn.
9B.)Paul Hewitt-GT
10A.)Tubby Smith-Minn.(He's a proven winner)
10B.)Frank Martin-K-State
10C.)Leonard Hamilton-FSU
Warriors23RJ Wrote:Before I get critized all these guys are winners, btw I'm not puttin womens coaches on my list, its a different game and they couldn't cut it in mens basketball.

Amen!
1.Roy Williams
2.Coach K
3.Rick Pitino
4.Jim Boheim
5.Tom Izzo
6.Coach Cal
7.Bell Self
8.Frank Martin- He lost beasley and he was suppose to not win a game! he is now ranked top 15..very good coach
10.Jay Wright-Very Underrated Coach at villanova..look for his name to slide up this list!
10B. Billy Donovan
10C.Bruce Pearl
Not to change the direction of this thread but I certainly agree that the average or even good Women's coach may not do well with men's. But do you seriously think that Geno could not even be AVERAGE in men's? You have to be joking!
Warriors23RJ Wrote:Before I get critized all these guys are winners, btw I'm not puttin womens coaches on my list, its a different game and they couldn't cut it in mens basketball.

1.)Jim Boeheim-Syracuse
2.)Rick Pitino-U of L
3.)Roy Williams-UNC
4.)Coach K-Duke
5.)John Calipari-UK
6.)Tom Izzo-MSU
7.)Bobby Huggins-WVU
8.)Mark Few-Gonzaga
9A.)Bruce Peral-Tenn.
9B.)Paul Hewitt-GT
10A.)Tubby Smith-Minn.(He's a proven winner)
10B.)Frank Martin-K-State
10C.)Leonard Hamilton-FSU

I am not gonna criticize your names just the order they are listed in.
lwc Wrote:Not to change the direction of this thread but I certainly agree that the average or even good Women's coach may not do well with men's. But do you seriously think that Geno could not even be AVERAGE in men's? You have to be joking!

Coaches like Geno Auriemma would fare average in men's basketball.

Coaches like Pat Summit wouldn't have a chance. Why? Unfortunately, the answer is because she is a woman. The cold, hard truth is that young male athletes do no respect a woman figure enough to listen to what she has to say or follow a her guidelines, orders, etc. as a coach. The intimidation of a coach can sometimes earn the respect of athletes and let's face it: a male coaching figure is more intimidating than a woman coaching figure.

Let's not take what I say out of proportion now because I think Coach Summit is one of the greatest coaches of all time in the college game. It's just the simple fact that she is a woman is what would keep her from excelling in the men's game and I think she herself even knows that.

That's not the complete argument but that is the core of it.
I once would have ranked Pitino number one, but what exactly has he done lately? Slick Rick is no longer a top 10 coach, IMO. Pitino was once a workaholic who excelled at game prep and recruiting but he has never been known for his second half coaching. With all of the bad publicity Pitino has brought upon himself lately, his recruiting will probably slip even further. UK is lucky that Pitino left for greener pastures and UK's loss is now U of L's loss. I think Coach K's stock has also slipped in the past few years, although I would still rank him somewhere in the Top 5.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Coaches like Geno Auriemma would fare average in men's basketball.

Coaches like Pat Summit wouldn't have a chance. Why? Unfortunately, the answer is because she is a woman. The cold, hard truth is that young male athletes do no respect a woman figure enough to listen to what she has to say or follow a her guidelines, orders, etc. as a coach. The intimidation of a coach can sometimes earn the respect of athletes and let's face it: a male coaching figure is more intimidating than a woman coaching figure.

Let's not take what I say out of proportion now because I think Coach Summit is one of the greatest coaches of all time in the college game. It's just the simple fact that she is a woman is what would keep her from excelling in the men's game and I think she herself even knows that.

I do believe that it would be difficult for a woman to be a successful basketball coach WITHOUT a strong disciplinarian on the staff.

One thing that has made Geno stand above the rest of the WNCB world is recruiting. Call me crazy, but I believe that if you can recruit women's ball THAT well, you can recruit mens. I just wish that Geno would give it a try so the whole world would know.

The main difference in men and women's basketball is athleticism. In men's basketball, a team can just be so much stronger, faster, and bigger than you and beat you, even if you are the smarter, better shooting, and more fundamentally sound team. Women's basketball, does not seem to operate that way. That is why you see fewer major upsets. In women's ball, if you are the better team, almost always, you win.

I think Geno would recognize that and recruit really fast and strong players, whether they knew what a flex, fist or box-1 scheme is. He is a smart X's and O's coach and he can teach his recruits.

To sum it up, he is the best current basketball coach in women's basketball, but Pat Summit cleared the way and made people watch basketball. She will be remembered as the one that made Geno possible. He and the rest of the WNCB world, owe her a lot.

I hope that made sense, I think I was rambling. :lmao:
Jarons Wrote:Summit at 10? The only coach to win over 1,000 games. She has won 8 national titles, 18 final fours. She has been eliminated in the first or second round 1 time.
1. Pat Summit
2. Geno Auiemma
3. Tom Izzo
4. Roy Williams
5. Coach K.
6. Rick Pitino
7. Jim Boeheim
8. Jim Calhoun
10. John Calipari

I just went through this thread and I missed that the first time through as well. You are dead on, Summitt should definitely head this list. Summitt played and coached a style that could have transferred to the Mens game. Not saying she would have been as successful getting men to play that way, but she certainly is one of the best IN-GAME coaches I have ever seen. You rarely ever see an offensive time-out that the Vols do not score on. Gender should not be considered when looking at her overall ability to coach a game.
Here is Forbes magazines list of 10 from a 2/24/09 article:

1. Roy Williams
2. Bill Self
3. Ben Howland
4. Mike Krzyzewski
5. Billy Donovan
6. Tom Izzo
7. John Calipari
8. Mark Few
9. Bo Ryan
10. Rick Barnes
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Here is Forbes magazines list of 10 from a 2/24/09 article:

1. Roy Williams
2. Bill Self
3. Ben Howland
4. Mike Krzyzewski
5. Billy Donovan
6. Tom Izzo
7. John Calipari
8. Mark Few
9. Bo Ryan
10. Rick Barnes

I can't believe that I forgot about Ben Howland. He is having a TERRIBLE year this year but aside from that, there is a REASON he was hired at UCLA.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Coaches like Geno Auriemma would fare average in men's basketball.

:thumpsup:

1. Roy Williams
2. Bill Self
3. Ben Howland
4. Mike Krzyzewski
5. Billy Donovan
6. Tom Izzo
7. John Calipari
8. Mark Few
9. Bo Ryan
10. Rick Barnes

No Jamie Dixon? Bo Ryan and Barnes over Pitino? What have they done?

1. Roy Williams
2. Bill Self
3. Ben Howland
4. Mike Krzyzewski
5. Billy Donovan
6. Tom Izzo
7. John Calipari
8. Mark Few
9. Bo Ryan
10. Rick Barnes

Is this the list of OVERRATED COACHES?
theVILLE Wrote:Is this the list of OVERRATED COACHES?
This question from a guy who put Rick Pitino at #3 on his list? :lmao:

Pitino put his career on cruise control several years ago.