Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Top 5 underrated coaches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have to go with
Jay Wright-Villanova
Frank Martin-Kansas St.
Mark Few- Gonzaga
Darren Horn-South Carolina
Josh Pastner-Memphis- he is going to be a great coach
theVILLE Wrote:I have to go with
Frank Martin-Kansas St.
Darren Horn- South Carolina
as two of mine..got to think on the other too?:biggrin:

I agree.
Jay Wright is underrated?
Bob Huggins! He is an automatice 20+ win season, and has done it witout a 5* player in his coaching career. He wins no matter where he is at. Hate him, that's fine, he wins with the quality of players that no one else could win with.
Jay Wright-Villanova
Frank Martin-Kansas St.
Mark Few-Gonzaga
Josh Pastner-memphis- going to be a great coach
Stardust Wrote:Bob Huggins! He is an automatice 20+ win season, and has done it witout a 5* player in his coaching career. He wins no matter where he is at. Hate him, that's fine, he wins with the quality of players that no one else could win with.

Biased?? Jk I tottally agree Hugs gets the job done and has his whole career.

About Coach Stalling at Vandy?
MVP2 Wrote:Biased?? Jk I tottally already Hugs gets the job done and as has his whole career.

About Coach Stalling at Vandy?

No doubt about Stalling, just has not done it over the same time as Huggins, but certainly is a winner.

lol - Biased about Hugs, hmm, not sure. I love his style, I love what he gets out of his kids, I hate, absolutely hate his postgame attitude in blaming eveyone else except himself for his teams bad play. I had many, many years of listening to that:biggrin:
I agree about stalling
theVILLE Wrote:I agree about stalling

Alright, I must have been wrong about Stalling......:biggrin:
Stardust Wrote:Alright, I must have been wrong about Stalling......:biggrin:

lol..im trying not to be biased as bad lol...i was a vandy van or i was shane foster fan, loved watching him play
Mark Few of Gonzaga is by far the most underrated coach in the Country. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for them with all they lost, but now they are the #8 team and will move up. He's been offered some of the top coaching jobs but has stuck with the Zags, love his committment to the program and his coaching philsophy.
-STAT- Wrote:Mark Few of Gonzaga is by far the most underrated coach in the Country. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for them with all they lost, but now they are the #8 team and will move up. He's been offered some of the top coaching jobs but has stuck with the Zags, love his committment to the program and his coaching philsophy.

The only one i put ahead of him is jay wright..he wasnt suppose to have a down year this year, simply becasue he is a good coach..he is just shadowed out by all the others adn there sitting at #3 most likely in the nation..last year they went to the final four also
theVILLE Wrote:Jay Wright-Villanova
Frank Martin-Kansas St.
Mark Few-Gonzaga
Josh Pastner-memphis- going to be a great coach

I believe this coach is one of the better ones in college basketball..IMO
Remorcefull Raider Wrote:I believe this coach is one of the better ones in college basketball..IMO

He is! and the kids really like him! big key now days
Brent "Buzz" Williams - Marquette

Tom Crean - Indiana
theVILLE Wrote:The only one i put ahead of him is jay wright..he wasnt suppose to have a down year this year, simply becasue he is a good coach..he is just shadowed out by all the others adn there sitting at #3 most likely in the nation..last year they went to the final four also

It will be an awesome matchup between them and the Cuse. Great guard matchup with Reynolds and Rautins.

But I will agree with that statement, a lot of critics expected Villanova to be a great team, but I don't think they expected an 18,19-1 record whatever it is and to be undefeated in the Big East which is the tougest conference in the country, Jay Wright has done an outstanding job at Nova.
theVILLE Wrote:Josh Pastner-memphis- going to be a great coach

If he pans out to be just like Cal, like people say he is then he will be a great young coach.
Frank martin of Kansas State is the best under rated coach in the country
Stardust Wrote:No doubt about Stalling, just has not done it over the same time as Huggins, but certainly is a winner.

lol - Biased about Hugs, hmm, not sure. I love his style, I love what he gets out of his kids, I hate, absolutely hate his postgame attitude in blaming eveyone else except himself for his teams bad play. I had many, many years of listening to that:biggrin:

I agree. His attitude hurts him a lot.
theVILLE Wrote:I have to go with
Jay Wright-Villanova
Frank Martin-Kansas St.
Mark Few- Gonzaga
Darren Horn-South Carolina
Josh Pastner-Memphis- he is going to be a great coach

Add Tom Crean and Anthony Grant and we have a great list!
Jamie Dixon.
Aslan Wrote:Jamie Dixon.

:Thumbs:

See, he is so underrated that I forgot to put his on my list :lmao:

He is a great coach though.
I would add Travis Ford to the list. He left the Campbellsville, UMass, and Eastern Kentucky basketball programs much better off than he found them. Oklahoma State lost in the second round of the NCAA tournament last season and are 16-5 this season, undefeated at home, and beat No. 10 Kansas State on the road 73-69 a week ago.

I think that both Ford and Pelphrey have very bright futures ahead of them and I expect one of them to be UK's coach when Calipari decides to retire. Pelphrey walked into a hornet's nest at Arkansas but if he brings the program back from the brink, his stock will soar.

I also do not think that John Thompson III gets the credit for coaching ability that he deserves. I love watching the style that the Hoyas play and I hated their style under his dad (an obnoxious jerk). He obviously learned more at Princeton than he did from his father.
Pastner IMO is not a very good X and O coach right now. In fact I probably wouldn't list him in the Top 30 coaches in terms of that.

With that said Pastner is easily one of the best recruiters in college basketball and supreme talent makes up for alot.

IMO:
1. Mark Few- Gonzaga, He has taken a no name program with no name players and made them a Top 15 team in the nation every year.
2. Jamie Dixon- Pitt, Pitt is year in and year out one of the best coached teams in the nation on defense and they consistently contend on the National Stage.
3. Bo Ryan- Wisconsin, Nearly the same description as Dixon. Wisconsin generally don't land elite talent but he gets the most out of what he has.
4. Mark Fox- Georgia, mark my words that in 3 or 4 years UGA will be competing with the SEC elite as long as he stays. Fox is easily one of the Top 5 X and O coaches in the country, he did amazing
5. Tom Crean- Indiana, Right now he has been dealt a tough hand thanks to Kelvin Sampson. Once he fights through these lean years expect him to bring Indiana back to National Relevancy.

:
Aslan Wrote:Jamie Dixon.

I forget about him. His teams are nothing flashy. They always play hard, play defense and are always in contention for the Big East title. Very underrated IMO.
1.Mark Few
2.Tubby Smith
3.Paul Hewitt
4.Jeff Capal
5.Frank Martin
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Pastner IMO is not a very good X and O coach right now. In fact I probably wouldn't list him in the Top 30 coaches in terms of that.

With that said Pastner is easily one of the best recruiters in college basketball and supreme talent makes up for alot.

IMO:
1. Mark Few- Gonzaga, He has taken a no name program with no name players and made them a Top 15 team in the nation every year.
2. Jamie Dixon- Pitt, Pitt is year in and year out one of the best coached teams in the nation on defense and they consistently contend on the National Stage.
3. Bo Ryan- Wisconsin, Nearly the same description as Dixon. Wisconsin generally don't land elite talent but he gets the most out of what he has.
4. Mark Fox- Georgia, mark my words that in 3 or 4 years UGA will be competing with the SEC elite as long as he stays. Fox is easily one of the Top 5 X and O coaches in the country, he did amazing
5. Tom Crean- Indiana, Right now he has been dealt a tough hand thanks to Kelvin Sampson. Once he fights through these lean years expect him to bring Indiana back to National Relevancy.
:

Mark Fox was great at Nevada. He does do well with a clipboard!

I honestly believe Bo Ryan would be a Final 4 contender if he left Wisconsin. It is hard to convince future NBA players to go to the bitter cold.
Warriors23RJ Wrote:1.Mark Few
2.Tubby Smith
3.Paul Hewitt
4.Jeff Capal
5.Frank Martin

Completely disagree with this one.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Completely disagree with this one.

I agree with you for now. I think he needs more time but he has a chance still. He has shown some promise but needs to win without Blake Griffin.
lwc Wrote:Mark Fox was great at Nevada. He does do well with a clipboard!

I honestly believe Bo Ryan would be a Final 4 contender if he left Wisconsin. It is hard to convince future NBA players to go to the bitter cold.

lol true..but at home this year i say wisconsin is a top 10 team..
Pages: 1 2