Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: National Signing Day Coverage Free *UPDATED 2-2*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
For anyone interested kentuckyink.com will be providing free access to their site on National Signing Day.

This site has made huge strides in recent months picking up Jeff Drummond and Jim Tirey from The Cat's Pause.
Should be great to watch which teams could be the best three to four years from now.
One of th UK Sports Days I look forward to the most.

UK is in play for the following recruits of interest:

4* DT Michael Thornton- Basically has an offer from every program in the nation including USC, Miami, Auburn, Ga'Tech, Alabama, Clemson, and Michigan. He is from Stephenson HS, same school as Raymond Sanders, Ronnie Shields, and Jabari Johnson. His final 3 is supposedly UK, Penn State, and Georgia.

4* RB Rajaan Bennett- Choosing between UK, Tennessee, and Vandy. Also has offers from Wisconsin, Minnesota, and UL.

3* ATH Jerrell Priester- Currently committed to Vandy he has conintued to swear allegiance to Vandy only to second guess himself and say he is torn with UK. Also has offers from Notre Dame and Duke.

3* LB Tim Patterson- Kentucky's top prospect he will decide between UK and Louisville. Also has offers from Arkansas, Cincinnatti, Indiana, and Purdue.

3* RB DJ Howard- This is a longshot. Howard is the cousin of UK's Jonathan George and has long been one of their top prospects on the board. He has been committed to Auburn for a long time but has decided to look around at Clemson and UK (visiting this weekend). He also has offers from Arkansas, UL, and Miss State.

3* RB Miles Simpson- He has been very hush/hush on his recruitment. Will decide between Illinois, Indiana, UK, and Cincy. He also has offers from UL and Purdue.
I'm wondering what impact 4* Rajion Neal's recent commitment to Tennessee will have on Rajaan Bennett? Should be a fun day.
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:I'm wondering what impact 4* Rajion Neal's recent commitment to Tennessee will have on Rajaan Bennett? Should be a fun day.

Speaking of Neal...

UT just landed an absolute stud! This kid is underrated as a 4*. I saw Neal, Storm Johnson, Ken Malcome, and Mack Brown all play in Goergia and there isn't any comparison between the rest of those guys (all 4*'s) and Neal. He is an absolute monster physically with surprising speed and acceleration, great hands, and tremendous balance.

I see him overtaking David Oku to be the back-up to Bryce Brown and the heir apparent to be the next great UT back before he graduates. Neal was UK's top RB target early this year, I was hoping tht if he didnt give UK a 2nd look he'd at leasst commit out of conference.
You know, I didn't really know anything about him since he had been committed to Miss. State before switching to UT, but the more I hear and research, the better I feel. Seems like your analysis is right on with everyone else in the fact that he is a very physical running back with good speed. Two important aspects to make it in the SEC. I was afraid that running backs might look elsewhere since UT has Brown, Oku, Poole, and Toney Williams who sat out this year with an ACL injury and appeared to be another good RB during the Orange and White game, before his injury. Seems like whoever ends up with Bennett will be getting a good back, as well.

Just out of curiousity, have you seen Nash Nance and Da'Rick Rogers from Calhoun H.S. play? Nance just switched to UT and theres a lot of talk about Rogers switching to UT over Georgia. I don't know a lot about Nance, but Rogers seems like one of those players that could be special.
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:Just out of curiousity, have you seen Nash Nance and Da'Rick Rogers from Calhoun H.S. play? Nance just switched to UT and theres a lot of talk about Rogers switching to UT over Georgia. I don't know a lot about Nance, but Rogers seems like one of those players that could be special.

I have. I saw them play the past two AA State Championship games.

Rogers is a very talented receiver, but I think he is a tad bit overrated. Alot of people, especially UGA fans, compare him to AJ Green and I don't see that. He is tall, super athletic, and has the ability to make plays... but he isn't as disciplined of a route runner and seems to shy away when somebody gets physical with him. He is legitimately one of the best WR prospects in the country and has the ability to make your jaw drop with his athleticism, but just being completely candid I think Markeith Ambles was a more complete player.

Nance will never see the field at UT IMO. His career was made thanks to Rogers and playing in Georgia AA Football (which is still better than Kentucky 4A Football and below but I digress). His arm strength is limited, he lofts too many balls, and he has played primarily his whole career out of the Shotgun. He has made a high school career by either throwing short passes and letting his abcks and receivers make a play, or by throwing it up to a spot and letting Rogers come down with it. The one quality I like about him is he does have good mobility and footwork when throwing on the run.

Nance was nothing more than a way to land Rogers, there was no way UGA was going to offer Nance, and they never had any intention to (see going after Hutson Mason instead). Rogers will be a very good player if he goes to UT and will probably end up in the NFL one day, but I don't see him being the next AJ Green, Julio Jones, or the like.
Yeah this one had "package deal" written all over it as soon as I heard we were trying to steal Nance away from Vandy. I'm usually not a fan of using a scholarship like that, but it seems to be working because Rogers has been spending a lot of time on campus. As we all know, nothing is for sure until Wednesday though. In the end, I think we get either Rogers or Ambles, who was also on campus this past weekend. I always look forward to NSD, but with all that has been going on, I'm looking forward to this one more than any other I can remember. I appreciate all the information, you seem to be very knowledgeable when it comes to recruiting.
For my ignorance, someone please tell me when National Signing Day is.
lwc Wrote:For my ignorance, someone please tell me when National Signing Day is.

It is always the first Wednesday in February and is the first day athletes can sign on at a Division I or Division II school. Once the letter is signed it is official and no other schools can recruit the athlete. The athlete is bound to the university for one academic year and if they change their minds after signing they lose a year of eligibility. While Wednesday is the first day to sign the signing period goes through the end of March. Lower division schools do not have a NLI.
BIGREDDAWG Wrote:It is always the first Wednesday in February and is the first day athletes can sign on at a Division I or Division II school. Once the letter is signed it is official and no other schools can recruit the athlete. The athlete is bound to the university for one academic year and if they change their minds after signing they lose a year of eligibility. While Wednesday is the first day to sign the signing period goes through the end of March. Lower division schools do not have a NLI.

Thanks. I knew it was soon but I didn't know how soon! Go CATS!
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:Yeah this one had "package deal" written all over it as soon as I heard we were trying to steal Nance away from Vandy. I'm usually not a fan of using a scholarship like that, but it seems to be working because Rogers has been spending a lot of time on campus. As we all know, nothing is for sure until Wednesday though. In the end, I think we get either Rogers or Ambles, who was also on campus this past weekend. I always look forward to NSD, but with all that has been going on, I'm looking forward to this one more than any other I can remember. I appreciate all the information, you seem to be very knowledgeable when it comes to recruiting.

I am about 75% certain on this, but I think that Nance's family adopted Rogers. Part of the reason why a package deal will probably work.

At this point I would be shocked if Rogers does not sign with UT. UGA is setting up for a potentially devastating week. The big Whitaker kid chose Auburn today, Rogers seems like he will flip, and if for some reason Michael Thornton goes to UK (Which I seriously doubt) it will be a signing day for UGA to forget.

With that said, I think Ambles probably goes elsewhere.

On a side note, Auburn is absolutely killing it on the recruiting trail!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:One of th UK Sports Days I look forward to the most.

UK is in play for the following recruits of interest:

4* DT Michael Thornton- Basically has an offer from every program in the nation including USC, Miami, Auburn, Ga'Tech, Alabama, Clemson, and Michigan. He is from Stephenson HS, same school as Raymond Sanders, Ronnie Shields, and Jabari Johnson. His final 3 is supposedly UK, Penn State, and Georgia.

4* RB Rajaan Bennett- Choosing between UK, Tennessee, and Vandy. Also has offers from Wisconsin, Minnesota, and UL.

3* ATH Jerrell Priester- Currently committed to Vandy he has conintued to swear allegiance to Vandy only to second guess himself and say he is torn with UK. Also has offers from Notre Dame and Duke.

3* LB Tim Patterson- Kentucky's top prospect he will decide between UK and Louisville. Also has offers from Arkansas, Cincinnatti, Indiana, and Purdue.

3* RB DJ Howard- This is a longshot. Howard is the cousin of UK's Jonathan George and has long been one of their top prospects on the board. He has been committed to Auburn for a long time but has decided to look around at Clemson and UK (visiting this weekend). He also has offers from Arkansas, UL, and Miss State.

3* RB Miles Simpson- He has been very hush/hush on his recruitment. Will decide between Illinois, Indiana, UK, and Cincy. He also has offers from UL and Purdue.

EKU, what impact do you think Joker finally becoming the head coach will have on any of these guys' decisions? Does it help or hurt with them?
Brooks4Prez Wrote:EKU, what impact do you think Joker finally becoming the head coach will have on any of these guys' decisions? Does it help or hurt with them?

Helps slightly... Brooks had little to no hand in recruiting as it was. Most of these guys UK has been on since last year and they have been well aware of the chance that Brooks could retire and Joker would be the HC. Joker's forte is his relationships he builds with recruits and his honesty. Whereas attrition plays a role when a coaching change happens, that is not the case at all for UK.

With that said, the drawback is there is no "surge" like you see with some big hires. Charlie Strong is red hot at UL... you don't get that with the Brooks to Joker transition. On a scale from -10 to +10, with -10 being a huge negative effect and +10 being a huge positive effect, the retirement of Brooks and Joker taking over rates as about a +2 in UK's favor.

On a side note to update things:

Rajaan Bennett- Committed to Vandy, the rumor is UK decided they couldnt wait anymore and moved on.

Thornton- Looking more and more like it really will be between UK, Penn State, and UGA right now.

DJ Howard- Looking more and more like Howard and Auburn have parted ways, had a "blast" on his visit to UK this weekend.

Tim Patterson- Qualifying is a huge question mark

Miles Simpson- UK told Howard that they wanted to know if he will be deciding on signing day because they have another RB waiting. The thought process is Simpson is the backup plan to Howard.
Also,

Three other names to keep your eyes on:

3* ATH Patrick Swilling Jr.- Son of the NFL Hall of Famer from Louisiana. Kentucky has been recruiting him for a while but he has always been luke warm. He apparently is becoming a victim of having his big name programs who offered him fill up. He is down to UK, Auburn, LSU, and Tennessee now. He has also received offers from Ole Miss and GaTech.

Swilling probably won't sign or decide on signing day.

3* OL Tim Wynn- Wynn does not have an UK offer yet but the staff has been very interested. He said he would committ on the spo. He has offers from Illinois, Indiana, and UCONN. UK is planning to see how signing day shakes up to see if they have a spot.

4* OL Skyler Schofner- One of the reasons Wynn doesn't have an offer is the hope the Schofner makes a last minute decision. He has been one of UK's top targets and has been committed to Michigan State for a while. He recently decided to look around aain after he was displeased with the big fight that the Spartans had prior to their bowl and how their staff handled it. He was looking at UK but stated he was firm with Mich State after UK let go of Larry Brinson.

Schofner was highly coveted with offers from Boston College, UC, Michigan, UNC, NC State, South Carolina, and Wisconsin. It is highly doubtful he pulls a surprise switch, but if he does UK would be his most likely new home.
Would love to land Patterson. He is a pure defensive player who will help us out a lot.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am about 75% certain on this, but I think that Nance's family adopted Rogers. Part of the reason why a package deal will probably work.

At this point I would be shocked if Rogers does not sign with UT. UGA is setting up for a potentially devastating week. The big Whitaker kid chose Auburn today, Rogers seems like he will flip, and if for some reason Michael Thornton goes to UK (Which I seriously doubt) it will be a signing day for UGA to forget.

With that said, I think Ambles probably goes elsewhere.

On a side note, Auburn is absolutely killing it on the recruiting trail!

Yeah, I read somewhere that his family had adopted Rogers and were the legal guardians, but also read that Rogers' mother was pushing him to stay with his committment and not go back on his word. So, not real sure what to make of the family situation.

UGA could very well be in for a long day. The two players you mentioned are question marks and theres some speculation that DB Nickell Robey will switch his committment.

And you're right, Auburn's class is loaded. I don't know exactly what the attraction is to their program, but their staff has come through big time with this class. Its almost mind blowing that UT's class, according to Rivals, is ranked 7th in the nation, which is good enough for 5th best in the SEC.
***UPDATE****

First the bad news:

1. Current UK 3* OL Kenarious Gates has switched his verbal to Georgia and plans to sign with them.

2. Current UK 3* ATH Ryan Smith (WHO I THINK IS GOING TO BE A SUPERSTAR) has announced a surprise press conference tomorrow and it looks like he will be going somehwere else. Auburn appears to be the likely candidate.

THE GOOD NEWS

3. Kentuckyink has broke the story that 4* TE Alex Smith will sign with UK tomorrow. He was a UNC committ. Smith started off by committing to UC, then switched to UNC, and now will sign with UK. He has long been UK's #1 target at TE. He also had offers from WVU, Kansas, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, NC State, Purdue, South Carolina, and Wisconsin.

4. DJ Howard has officially eliminated Auburn and will decide between UK and Clemson.

5. It has became unanimous that Miles Simpson is favoring UK (dont know how that bodes for the DJ Howard decision though)
- Rogers to UT.. UGA fans are livid.

- Kentucky with a surprise recruit listing him as a selection day possibility. 4* RB Brandon Gainer from Miami, Florida. His RB Coach is former UK great Mark Higgs.
Markeith Ambles chooses Kiffin and USC over UT.
*miles simpson to uk*
UGA Committ Robey flips to USC...bad day in Athens so far, if UK somehow steals Thornton it will be a disaster
Any new info?
* BRANDON GAINER TO UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *

What a shock here!

4* RB chose UK over UCF, FSU, UNC, Oregon, South Florida, texas Tech, and UL.
Thornton to UGA...can't get em all
Awesome!!

This is great for UK.
*Jerrell Priester to UK*

Huge get here. Staff is in love with this kid and got him to flip from Vandy. They think he could be the next Randall Cobb.
UK closing HARD!

UL meanwhile has lost two of their top players to other schools.
Skyler Schofner did in fact sign with Michigan State

Ryan Smith has officially de-committed from UK and signed with Auburn
Did those hurt us?
Pages: 1 2 3