Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Hold Backs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Agree or disagree?
I agree. Only good comes from it
Disagree, if you can't compete with kids your own age then you shouldn't be able to compete. Not fair to the class under you.
Disagree.....but the only reason a kid should be held back is for Academic Reasons....not Athletic
this comes as a complete shock to me but for once i agree with stat..lol
I agree Stat
Ok
used to if a kid gets held back he has an advantage
now everyone is getting held back so in order to compete you almost have to be a hold back
Let me ask you a question which one is better for a kid
Being on his own at 17 or being on his own at 19?
I'd rather be on my own at 17 , lol
same here Cartman.....lol
"bballmama" Wrote:this comes as a complete shock to me but for once i agree with stat..lol

what?....u never did agree with me before?
I'm just saying that there is no harm from getting held back
some ppl say ir isn't fair but anyone has the chance to get held back
i disagree, if someone cant play with people there own age then they shouldnt play at all
"thebestplayerever" Wrote:i disagree, if someone cant play with people there own age then they shouldnt play at all

Thats what i sed too.
Yeah Ace..actually that was your exact words.. but i disagree with kids being held back
my bad ACE
I forgive you lol
"THE BUS" Wrote:Ok
used to if a kid gets held back he has an advantage
now everyone is getting held back so in order to compete you almost have to be a hold back
Let me ask you a question which one is better for a kid
Being on his own at 17 or being on his own at 19?

Doesn't matter cause at 17 you can only do so much legally..

I disagree if you are being held back for athletic purposes.. Academic is a different story though..
Parent choice so it doesn't matter what I think.
Derrick Case from BL is a holdback
"thebestplayerever" Wrote:i disagree, if someone cant play with people there own age then they shouldnt play at all

Unfortunately not holding back means you aren't playing against people your own age...
Disagree.

This "maturity" issue- needs to be addressed on a different level. If we have such a great number of students not ready to move on for maturity reasons- then the powers that be need to look at changing the starting age for Kindergarten. Instead of being 5 before October 1 maybe they should change it to the childs age on August 1. At least you wouldn't have 4 year olds in Kindergarten.

As far as being on your own at 17 vs. 19- How many kids move out the day after graduation from high school?
Derek Case....Brandon May
A hold back should never be done on the basis of athletics. Remember, schools are for education. If a child is struggling academically then it's fine, but if they do well in the classroom, let them advance.
I agree with kids being held back, but not necessarily for athletics. I think kids are being put into the world at too early an age. I didn't put my daughter in school until she was 6. Nothing to do with athletics cause how do I know at that age. I didn't want her in college at 17. On the athletic side, I wasn't a good athlete, but stayed back in the 7th grade. I matured and ended up with a college scholarship. I would have matured anyway, but maybe not early enough for that. End of story, I got a free education. If staying back helped, who cares.
I agree with holding kids back for a variety of reasons. Athletics can be one of them, academics is another while age is probably the last. Maturity doesn't fly because you are only as mature as those you spend time with. Also, what is wrong with helping your child succeed in every way possible be it in the classroom, socially, mentally, emotionally or on the field? In any event if it results in them becoming a productive citizen it is worth it.
I agree with hold backs. What I want to know is: What has "John Doe" holding back have to do with your childs skills? If you have a problem with your kid playing with older players, then why let them play up on higher levels? The true question is this, If so-and-so is good, what does it matter if he's 17 of 19? The NBA looks at skill not age.
"m00se" Wrote:I agree with hold backs. What I want to know is: What has "John Doe" holding back have to do with your childs skills? If you have a problem with your kid playing with older players, then why let them play up on higher levels? The true question is this, If so-and-so is good, what does it matter if he's 17 of 19? The NBA looks at skill not age.

I might be a little confused here.

"why let them play up on higher levels?" Not real sure what you mean by this.

Are you suggesting that kids who aren't holdbacks not play if they don't want to play with older kids?

Most middle school teams in Floyd County consist of 7th and 8th grade players. On the average they are 12-13 years old. Some of the 8th graders will turn 14 during the school year. Why should a 12 year old have to compete with a child who will soon be 16?
"m00se" Wrote:What I want to know is: What has "John Doe" holding back have to do with your childs skills?

A kid who is in the same grade, but a year younger, will have a hard time competing with a kid that was held back. That is how it affects children that aren't holdbacks. Even though they may be better "basketball players" thet can't compete against kids who are bigger, faster, stronger, just because they are a year older.

"m00se" Wrote:If you have a problem with your kid playing with older players, then why let them play up on higher levels?

It isn't that those kids are playing up.... it's that holdbacks are playing down...
I thought there were age limits now at the 6th grade, 8th grade and 12th grade level which prevented a dispariging age difference. Maybe that is just in contact sports though.
Moose, actually that isnt true. The NBA cant draft 17 or even some 18 or 19 year olds anymore. As far as what I think. I feel like if a kid is in school, and the grades are there, then they should not be held back. Most parents will hold back a child in the 7th grade for sports. The child ends up playing 3 years of middle school sports. Sad but true. I think that if a child gets held back for sports reasons, then the second 7th grade year they should not be allowed to compete. It should be the same as in high school. You should get two years of middle school for sports, and 4 years of high school for sports. If a child got held back for academic reasons, then that child most likely wont be able to play anyways.
Floyd County Policy states:

A student, who turns 15 years of age prior to August 1 of the school year, is ineligible to participate in athletics during that school year.

A student will not be allowed to participate in 2 years of athletics, in the same grade, unless the academic retention and/or social and emotional documentation is in compliance with Floyd County Board Policy 09.3131 and Policy 08.22. All paperwork must be submitted prior to the start of the season to the Floyd County Schools Athletic Director.

The only other policy I know of states that students in grades 1-6 may participate in C team games; grades 1-7 in B team games and 1-8 in A team games. This applies to Elementary/Middle Basketball.

The section on Football does not indicate any grade levels or ages for certain teams.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11