Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: How dedicated is Coach Cal to UK?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Found this on ESPN.com

John Calipari discussed two people's futures on the radio Thursday. The first was John Wall's. The second was his own.

The stuff about John Wall is normal. Calipari thinks Wall should go pro this year, because, you know, duh. If Calipari tried to play the Pete Carroll card here, he'd be laughed off the radio. Of course John Wall is going pro.

The question is whether Calipari will follow him. It's very unlikely that Calipari plans on leaving this year, or anytime soon, but Calipari's infatuation with the NBA is legendary in college basketball circles, and his post-Wall radio show quotes are sounding like he's not planning on tethering himself to Lexington for the rest of his life:

Dan and Calipari talked about how intense coaching at Kentucky is. "This isn't a 20-year run," Calipari said. Calipari said he doesn't think he'll have any trouble walking away from the job.

"If I'm still coaching after 10 years something happened. Something drastic," Calipari said. "They're not going to have on my tombstone how many wins I had."

Now, Kentucky fans, take a deep breath. Don't freak out. The doesn't necessarily mean Calipari is going to be in Lexington for less than 10 years. He could just be tired. Maybe he wants to play up how tough his job is. Maybe he's, as so often is the case with Coach Cal, doing a little personal politicking on behalf of his own reputation. Nothing wrong with that.

Still, though, Big Blue loyalists hoping they found their program's latest lifer might be just a little bit disappointed. That's not the most enthusiastic description of the job, is it?
The way I see it is that he can't really move up in the college ranks....he's at one of the upper echelon college coaching jobs. He's tried the NBA route and that didn't go too well (72-112). I figure he is smart enough to learn from Pitino's mistake. With Calipari ready to turn 51 in a few days, I figure if he is not at UK in 10 years, it will be because he has decided to hang it up.
yeah. this is his last run i think. if he goes anywhere else after this i think it will just be a mistake and huge embarassment.
I think it is some of the dumbest coments when people say things like Cal is one and done..... People can seem to realize that he is one of the best paid coaches...PERIOD. Money is not an issue and NBA was a challenge that he did not fit well into. He is at the Mecca for basketball and will soon become one of the legendary coaches of the game.
how ever long he is there he brought players and made the cats worth watching again..
cincycat23 Wrote:yeah. this is his last run i think. if he goes anywhere else after this i think it will just be a mistake and huge embarassment.

I love this! A huge embarassment, How so? Everyone said the same thing about Caroll leaving USC. This is too funny.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I think it is some of the dumbest coments when people say things like Cal is one and done..... People can seem to realize that he is one of the best paid coaches...PERIOD. Money is not an issue and NBA was a challenge that he did not fit well into. He is at the Mecca for basketball and will soon become one of the legendary coaches of the game.

Why is it that people so discredit "EGO" in their equations? Ego is what drives these guys to be the "BEST". They all think they are Teflon Don's. And you know what, That is a Great Thing. I want a coach who feels he there is NO ACCOMPLISHMENT TOO GREAT. There is not a successful coach alive who has not felt the urge to succeed at the highest level that they wish to achieve at.

I completely disagree with the thoughts from others that there is no higher position in Basketball than where he is at. Sorry, the Mecca of Basketball will forever reside in the NBA, always! He tried it and failed. You don't think that burns at him? You don't think that one failure, where he has never failed at any other job, that that one failure does not eat at him? I will guarentee you, that if he was to answer what it the top Coaching failure that you have had, he will say his stint with the Nets.

I'm not saying he has plans or even desires to go to the NBA, but I will say it is something that has eat at him. And his Ego has been hurt from that one coaching failure.

And Money? People, Sorry, but UK is not going to pay more than an NBA job. Do you not understand that an NBA job pays more, way more, than just the salary? There are so many other payments from other items that would take his salary, just like Carroll's and quadruple it. Guy's with EGO that feel they are the best, want to be compensated to be the best.

Don't give me "Enough money is enough" crap either. If that was the Case, Jordan wouldn't have needed $40M per year, Lebron $70M per year, and Tiger $90M per year. They would have taken those endorsement deals for a lot less if it wasn't for the money!
I find it understandable when Coach Cal talks about how being the head coach of the University of Kentucky is a tough job. When he starts losing, I think Kentucky fans should pat Coach Cal on the back and talk about how he doesn't need to worry about losing those games opposed to condemning his choices and insulting him when he makes mistakes.

There was a game I saw when Coach Gillispie was at Texas A&M and facing against the Texas Longhorns when Kevin Durant was still there. In the fourth quarter when it was only a matter of second until the game ended with his team down by three, he called a timeout. Watching how Coach Gillispie would respond, he looked to me as being more comfortable than he ever was at the University of Kentucky. This tells me how much pressure there honestly is at Kentucky. The fan support at Kentucky is great, but I'm afraid if these coaches continue to feel pressured, nobody will want to come or stay.
Stardust Wrote:Why is it that people so discredit "EGO" in their equations? Ego is what drives these guys to be the "BEST". They all think they are Teflon Don's. And you know what, That is a Great Thing. I want a coach who feels he there is NO ACCOMPLISHMENT TOO GREAT. There is not a successful coach alive who has not felt the urge to succeed at the highest level that they wish to achieve at.

I completely disagree with the thoughts from others that there is no higher position in Basketball than where he is at. Sorry, the Mecca of Basketball will forever reside in the NBA, always! He tried it and failed. You don't think that burns at him? You don't think that one failure, where he has never failed at any other job, that that one failure does not eat at him? I will guarentee you, that if he was to answer what it the top Coaching failure that you have had, he will say his stint with the Nets.

I'm not saying he has plans or even desires to go to the NBA, but I will say it is something that has eat at him. And his Ego has been hurt from that one coaching failure.

And Money? People, Sorry, but UK is not going to pay more than an NBA job. Do you not understand that an NBA job pays more, way more, than just the salary? There are so many other payments from other items that would take his salary, just like Carroll's and quadruple it. Guy's with EGO that feel they are the best, want to be compensated to be the best.

Don't give me "Enough money is enough" crap either. If that was the Case, Jordan wouldn't have needed $40M per year, Lebron $70M per year, and Tiger $90M per year. They would have taken those endorsement deals for a lot less if it wasn't for the money!

Sorry man... Completely disagree. Cal is not going anywhere and will retire at UK. His DRIVEN EGO allowed him to uproot his family from a good situation at Memphis but he has nothing to prove to anyone about coaching in the NBA. I believe Cal enjoys having a profound effect on helping students develop and in no way do I see him leaving something that he loves to take care of a team of overpaid men. Im sorry and you can take offense all you want but you are out of your mind if you are one of the people who think that Cal will experiment in the NBA again. No way.....
Hey Deathstar!!! GO AVS!!!!
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Sorry man... Completely disagree. Cal is not going anywhere and will retire at UK. His DRIVEN EGO allowed him to uproot his family from a good situation at Memphis but he has nothing to prove to anyone about coaching in the NBA. I believe Cal enjoys having a profound effect on helping students develop and in no way do I see him leaving something that he loves to take care of a team of overpaid men. Im sorry and you can take offense all you want but you are out of your mind if you are one of the people who think that Cal will experiment in the NBA again. No way.....

Lol, and you my friend have not been a student of HISTORY!
I watched this interview with Dan Patrick and you have to keep in mind what Cal was referencing. He was talking about how much coaching wears on you, makes you tired, keeps you away from your family, etc. It's a very stressful job and he was merely saying that, unless something dramatic happens (where he needs the money or something), he doesn't plan on coaching forever. He said he hoped to be sitting on a beach in 10 years. He was not saying that he hoped to be out of UK in 10 years and somewhere else down the road. He was saying in 10 years, he hoped to be retired and relaxing.
ComfortEagle Wrote:I watched this interview with Dan Patrick and you have to keep in mind what Cal was referencing. He was talking about how much coaching wears on you, makes you tired, keeps you away from your family, etc. It's a very stressful job and he was merely saying that, unless something dramatic happens (where he needs the money or something), he doesn't plan on coaching forever. He said he hoped to be sitting on a beach in 10 years. He was not saying that he hoped to be out of UK in 10 years and somewhere else down the road. He was saying in 10 years, he hoped to be retired and relaxing.

Finally someone got it. :Thumbs:
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Hey Deathstar!!! GO AVS!!!!

What does AVS stand for? Do you mean the "American Vacuum Society?" I'm confused...Sad
Deathstar 80 Wrote:What does AVS stand for? Do you mean the "American Vacuum Society?" I'm confused...Sad

....:thatsfunn

Avs, would be short for Avalanche, who are the hockey team you have selected in your favorite teams.
:lmao:
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Hey Deathstar!!! GO AVS!!!!

TongueirateSho:1::Thumbs::baldbull::glassjoe::High5: :party2:Confusedinglepar:wenumber1:letsparty:yes::ape:

ComfortEagle Wrote:....:thatsfunn

Avs, would be short for Avalanche, who are the hockey team you have selected in your favorite teams.
:lmao:

:Sad04:
Deathstar 80 Wrote:TongueirateSho:1::Thumbs::baldbull::glassjoe::High5: :party2:Confusedinglepar:wenumber1:letsparty:yes::ape:

:Sad04:

Very nice man!!! lol They are doing fantastic this year. Complete shocker for the NHL.
Stardust Wrote:Lol, and you my friend have not been a student of HISTORY!

Clever. I promise you bud. Cal is here for 8-10 years.
Gotta agree with Stardust on this one.
Aslan Wrote:Gotta agree with Stardust on this one.

Well your a UL fan so Im sure you keep telling yourself that Cal is gone after this year... just kidding:Thumbs:
I really do not see how you two can think Cal is actually DRIVEN to teach in the NBA again.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Well your a UL fan so Im sure you keep telling yourself that Cal is gone after this year... just kidding:Thumbs:
I really do not see how you two can think Cal is actually DRIVEN to teach in the NBA again.

I'm a fan of all Kentucky schools. I hope Cal's at UK for a long time.
Aslan Wrote:I'm a fan of all Kentucky schools. I hope Cal's at UK for a long time.

I root for the Kentucky schools..... except for Louisville. Cal has put the program back and I really hope that any thought of any further experiments are out of the question.
Stardust Wrote:Why is it that people so discredit "EGO" in their equations? Ego is what drives these guys to be the "BEST". They all think they are Teflon Don's. And you know what, That is a Great Thing. I want a coach who feels he there is NO ACCOMPLISHMENT TOO GREAT. There is not a successful coach alive who has not felt the urge to succeed at the highest level that they wish to achieve at.

Stardust, I agree with you 100%. As far as ego goes, I have never seen a great coach who doesn't have a huge ego. This is even the case in the high school ranks.
Hey I never said that Cal doesnt have a huge ego. That is certain. I think that you have to have a certain to coach at a school like this and he is at the top of COLLEGE basketball where we wants to retire.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Hey I never said that Cal doesnt have a huge ego. That is certain. I think that you have to have a certain to coach at a school like this and he is at the top of COLLEGE basketball where we wants to retire.

Bret Favre five years ago said he wanted to retire a Packer!

Rick Pitino not too many years ago said he would never leave UK!

Pete Carroll in an interview with Dan Patrick 2 years ago said that USC was the last job that he would ever have.

Harry Carey said many years ago said that he was committed to the St. Louis Cardinals for giving him his break in the business, only to go to their hated rivalrie.

These guys are not wired the way we want them to be wired. What they say today does not mean they will stick with it tomorrow.
Stardust Wrote:Bret Favre five years ago said he wanted to retire a Packer!

Rick Pitino not too many years ago said he would never leave UK!

Pete Carroll in an interview with Dan Patrick 2 years ago said that USC was the last job that he would ever have.

Harry Carey said many years ago said that he was committed to the St. Louis Cardinals for giving him his break in the business, only to go to their hated rivalrie.

These guys are not wired the way we want them to be wired. What they say today does not mean they will stick with it tomorrow.
Brett would still be a Packer if it weren't for their GM and coach. They thought it was time to move on from Brett obviously had more years left in him. Instead of a new QB they should have got a better O-line.

Pitino did say that. And I think he ment it till he got offered part ownership and head coach of the "greatest gig in basketball" Boston Celtics. Honestly who other that people brought up loving UK would turn that down?

USC prolly would have been Carroll's last job till the NCAA finally had to investigate everyithng that keeps coming up about the Trojans. He is a smart man and knows it is time to leave, even if he really doesn't want to.
Amun-Ra Wrote:Brett would still be a Packer if it weren't for their GM and coach. They thought it was time to move on from Brett obviously had more years left in him. Instead of a new QB they should have got a better O-line.

Pitino did say that. And I think he ment it till he got offered part ownership and head coach of the "greatest gig in basketball" Boston Celtics. Honestly who other that people brought up loving UK would turn that down?

USC prolly would have been Carroll's last job till the NCAA finally had to investigate everyithng that keeps coming up about the Trojans. He is a smart man and knows it is time to leave, even if he really doesn't want to.

Lol, you proved my point for me. People say they are going to stay forever all the time. BUT. There is always some circumstance that chages that. To be naive is to be foolish. Do I want him to go, no. Is there a real chance with someone like his pedigree and youth to take that leap again? Absolutely!
Stardust Wrote:Lol, you proved my point for me. People say they are going to stay forever all the time. BUT. There is always some circumstance that chages that. To be naive is to be foolish. Do I want him to go, no. Is there a real chance with someone like his pedigree and youth to take that leap again? Absolutely!

Alright man. I understand why and I agree. I know that you cant really believe what they say but I just dont think that at this point in his coaching career he has anything to prove to himself about coaching in the NBA. Sorry that we disagree man. By the way what is the college logo in your information? I didnt recongize it.
Stardust Wrote:Lol, you proved my point for me. People say they are going to stay forever all the time. BUT. There is always some circumstance that chages that. To be naive is to be foolish. Do I want him to go, no. Is there a real chance with someone like his pedigree and youth to take that leap again? Absolutely!
I dunno if I was proving your point. Those people left for reasons that they couldn't pass up. There is no NBA job as good as the one Pitino left for. I dont see him leaving because we made him. And God please don't let him leave because we are in trouble.
Amun-Ra Wrote:I dunno if I was proving your point. Those people left for reasons that they couldn't pass up. There is no NBA job as good as the one Pitino left for. I dont see him leaving because we made him. And [B]God please don't let him leave because we are in trouble[/B].

It could be as much about coaching a player than a team. Again, the NBA is the mecca of all basketball. I just don't think people are putting the ego equation and are only looking at it as UK. I don't care what the school is. We are not talking about Coach K who went to an average program and has proved to be content. Cal has already proved that he will leave a good job to try another

Hmm, I won't say anything, most everyone knows how I feel about this
Pages: 1 2