Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Coach Cal wanting to play more games at Freedom Hall
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Louisville a losing proposition for Cal
Huge obstacles for 'home' games in Freedom Hall
By Jerry Tipton / Herald-Leader Staff Writer

John Calipari's boffo debut season as Kentucky coach has not been without missteps. For example, his idea to play more than one game in Louisville each season. To gain a stronger recruiting foothold, he suggested a separate season-ticket package of games in Kentucky's largest city.

It isn't difficult to find people who say the UK coach needs to re-Cal-culate that one.

As UK Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart said, "Coaches speak without knowing the ramifications."

Perhaps playing more games in Freedom Hall will help UK recruit players from Louisville. Perhaps. But more is at stake than a coach looking for every advantage he can get.

Bill Owen, the CEO of Lexington Center Corp., cited a Matrix Group Study commissioned in 1997 when UK officials wondered aloud about constructing a new on-campus arena. The study said playing in Rupp Arena, UK's downtown basketball home, meant $1.3 million per game in economic impact to Lexington.

Owen also noted Freedom Hall has no attached mall, so playing in Louisville will mean forfeiting the revenue generated in the Civic Center shops and surrounding businesses.

That would include sales taxes, Owen said, "so it's a greater benefit for the local community, but also the state."

Larry Bell, the general manager of the Hyatt, noted how his employees benefit from the games played in the pre-conference portion of the schedule. Salary and tips help with holiday shopping.

Noting how fans can avail themselves of the bars and restaurants in the Hyatt and Civic Center shops, Bell slyly said, "A good portion of the Big Blue Nation likes to be properly prepared for each game. We like to do our part in helping the Big Blue Nation get ready for the game."

Jim Sawyer, owner of a restaurant that bears his name in Triangle Center (formerly known as Festival Marketplace), said he can make three days' worth of revenue in the three hours of a UK basketball game.

Not that other events in Rupp Arena lack money-making potential. Sawyer said a Miley Cyrus concert last year generated the revenue of three UK games. The four days of the Sweet Sixteen high school state tournament equal half a UK season.

But Sawyer's objection to Calipari's idea of UK "home" games in Louisville extends beyond the bottom line.

"It almost sounds silly," he said. "UK plays basketball at UK's home court. I'm flattered to have Calipari, but I'm not interested in him taking his team to Louisville. For financial reasons, and just for the fact UK is in Lexington, not in Louisville."

Barnhart said accommodating fans who attend games in Rupp Arena was a "top priority."

Then there's that proposal to build a new arena in downtown Lexington. Two separate consulting firms are studying the feasibility of an arena that, as envisioned by proponents, would use the revenue it generates to pay off construction costs.

Wouldn't that necessitate playing every possible game in a new downtown Lexington arena to pay the building costs?

"Absolutely," Barnhart said.

Thoughtful Cal

In late October, doctors diagnosed an incurable neurological disease afflicting her mother. Two weeks later, her father would have a birthday.

What gift could a daughter give her father in this circumstance?

Jennye Morano, a 1994 UK graduate, hit on the idea of having John Calipari call to wish her father a happy birthday and maybe offer a few encouraging words to her mother.

"Even though we knew what the outcome would be, the power of positive thinking couldn't hurt," Morano reasoned.

Still actively involved with her alma mater, Morano put in her request through UK's Alumni Office.

And at 10:30 a.m. on Nov. 11, the phone rang in Neil Stiegelmeyer's home in Union, Ky. Stiegelmeyer, a former official in the Fayette County school system, answered the phone and heard someone say, "Hello, this is John Calipari."

To which Stiegelmeyer said, "Who?"

Morano, still chuckling at the memory, explained. "It wasn't for lack of knowledge," she said. "It was for lack of hearing."

http://www.kentucky.com/kentuckysports/l...98734.html
good idea but its all about the Benjamin's
So louisville signs in lexington is funny
Bad idea, the games should stay at Rupp,one game at Louisville outside of playing UL is enough. Keep the money rolling in at Lexington.JMO
Rocky Top Wrote:Bad idea, the games should stay at Rupp,one game at Louisville outside of playing UL is enough. Keep the money rolling in at Lexington.JMO

I agree!!! :biggrin:
I like this idea. It's gives the under-privelaged fan in Louisville a college Basketball team to root for
Stardust Wrote:I like this idea. It's gives the under-privelaged fan in Louisville a college Basketball team to root for

:lmao::Clap:
I don't like the idea, but I feel it would help the money part until a new arena is built.
I like UK at Rupp...not in the 'ville! I know that this is selfish but you have to look at opportunities like that homecourt advantage!