Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Bruce Pearl Reinstates Melvin Goins, Cameron Tatum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee point guard Melvin Goins and guard Cameron Tatum will rejoin the Volunteers (No. 10 ESPN/USA Today, No. 9 AP) on Sunday after serving suspensions for their Jan. 1 arrests.

In a text to ESPN.com Saturday prior to the Vols' game against Mississippi (No. 23 ESPN/USA Today, No. 21 AP), Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl said the two players were cleared by judicial affairs on campus based on evidence and testimony.

He added that the courts take longer to make a decision. Because of the judicial affairs result, the school decided not to wait for the court hearing on Jan. 29, which was set after Thursday's arraignment.

Pearl suspended Goins, a junior, and Tatum, a sophomore, along with forward Tyler Smith and center Brian Williams after the four were arrested on misdemeanor gun, drug and alcohol charges during a traffic stop in Knoxville.

Pearl had said for weeks that there could be different levels of punishment based on the information that was going to come forward. He said there were varying levels of involvement in the arrest.

Pearl says Williams, a junior, will remain indefinitely suspended. Smith, a senior, was dismissed from the team Jan. 8.

How Pearl handles Tatum and Goins going forward still is a question because the Vols managed to rally with the six remaining scholarship players and three walk-ons in beating Charlotte, Kansas and Auburn -- in the SEC opener -- at home prior to Saturday's game against Ole Miss.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4831580"]Bruce Pearl reinstates suspended Tennessee Volunteers Melvin Goins, Cameron Tatum - ESPN[/ame]
I think Coach Pearl realized that he has a chance to do well in the tourney so he brought these clowns back.

I think it is a mistake. He is the coach, so i support it though.
Same charges for each kid but different outcome?
Maybe i'm missing something, but why was Smith kicked and not the others?
Overrated Wrote:Maybe i'm missing something, but why was Smith kicked and not the others?

Wondering the same thing.
maybe he thinks that he has a chance to beat UK if he has them....
What about Brian Williams?
They would not even be in my school if I was the pres.
Anymore news on why he reinstated them? IMO they should be punished a little bit more harshly then what they got. Kind of a slap in the face if you ask me.
I think there is something not coming out about smith and williams...for smith to be kicked off the team(star of the team) and williams a role player to not be back on the team there has to be something we dont know...i think that smith was leader of this and he admitted to it...but the others were right there in the middle of it!they should be punished a little more!
I heard that Metal Detectors were being installed at UT's entrance to Thompson-Boling Arena. :biggrin: :lmao:
Axel Foley Wrote:I heard that Metal Detectors were being installed at UT's entrance to Thompson-Boling Arena. :biggrin: :lmao:

there is at like every arena isnt there??
theVILLE Wrote:there is at like every arena isnt there??

I was making a joke at UT's expense.