Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Tennessee Hires Derek Dooley
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Derek Dooley will reportedly be named Tennessee's next head coach even though the Vols still have one interview left to conduct.

Multiple media sources are reporting that the former Louisiana Tech head coach has agreed to replace Lane Kiffin, who left UT for Southern California on Tuesday, and a deal is imminent.

UT athletic director Mike Hamilton is set to interview interim head coach Kippy Brown at 1 p.m.

Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham was the other finalist, according to a source close to the process.

A Louisiana Tech spokesperson declined to confirm or deny the move but said to check back later this afternoon.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2010/jan/...ng-dooley/
Not going to be a popular decision in Knoxville, but the expectations there were far too high for finding a coach at this time of year. We'll see what the recruiting class thinks. I actually don't know much about the guy, which is why I think most people will wonder about the hire. He is a Saban disciple, so there could be something there.
IMO this will be a very questionable higher, I think if this is the best you can do stay with what you know you will get out of Kippy and the fans would be more content. I do not forsee hiring Dooley helping the stability of the program. Knoxville right now is like an unstable chemical reaction ready to happen this is not going to end pretty.
In my opinion, this is very questionable and very risky hire... I don't know a great deal about Dooley, all I can say is La. Tech.... Don't know much about their conference, don't know about his won/loss record and don't know anything about his recruiting practices.... This honestly could set Tennessee Football back several years... This is not a hire that can come in and save this recruiting class or save players from jumping ship, especially if the NCAA busts Tennessee for illegal recruiting scandal involving the hostess from Tennessee...
Louisiana Tech football coach Derek Dooley, son of legendary coach Vince Dooley, has emerged as the top candidate to replace Lane Kiffin as Tennessee's football coach, sources close to the situation told ESPN.com on Friday.

An announcement could be made by Tennessee officials as early as Friday. However, a source told ESPN.com that the deal is not finalized and that Houston's Kevin Sumlin remains a possibility.

Kiffin left the program Tuesday to become the coach at USC.
Dooley, in his third season at Louisiana Tech, also is the school's athletic director. He played football at Virginia and has a law degree from Georgia.

He was a recruiting coordinator and an assistant coach on Nick Saban's staff at LSU.

Earlier Friday, Duke coach David Cutcliffe withdrew his name from consideration in Tennessee's search. A former offensive coordinator with the Vols, Cutcliffe had talks with Tennessee on Thursday.

According to a report on the Salt Lake Tribune's Web site, Utah coach Kyle Whittingham was offered the Vols job but turned it down Thursday morning, sources told the newspaper.

Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp, the Longhorns' head coach-in-waiting, earlier this week turned down a lucrative offer from Tennessee, sources close to the situation told ESPN.com.

Kippy Brown, in his third stint at Tennessee, is the Vols' interim coach. Brown on Wednesday said he's been told that he also would be considered for the permanent head-coaching job.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4829107"]Sources: La. Tech's Dooley on verge of becoming Tennessee Volunteers' coach - ESPN@@AMEPARAM@@http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4821021@@AMEPARAM@@4821021[/ame]
Strikeout King Wrote:Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham was the other finalist, according to a source close to the process.

I actually think this guy could be pretty good.
lwc Wrote:I actually think this guy could be pretty good.

:thumpsup:
As always...in the SEC it comes down to three things:
1. Will his team's play defense?
2. Will his staff recruit?
3. Can he handle the pressure?

Too early to pass judegment on how he will do...
Dooley was an administrator and coach at LaTech. So that means he was a part time coach. He didn't even have a winning record. Cant do that in the SEC. Really what happened Tenn ran out of time and made a bad choice. Sounds awfully familiar with UK's bball situation few years ago.
this hire needs to be flushed down the toilet just like UT's chances of beating UK next year so chalk 1 up for the CATS
BigBlueBobcatFan Wrote:this hire needs to be flushed down the toilet just like UT's chances of beating UK next year so chalk 1 up for the CATS

I hope your right.
Give the guy time and a decent chance. He's a smart guy (has a law degree). He has a good pedigree. His dad was Vince Dooley, a legend in the SEC at Georgia for 25 years, and won the 1980 national championship. He spent 7 years under Nick Saban at LSU and with the Dolphins. He took over a struggling program and didnt do a bad job there. I think Derek Dooley will do just fine in Knoxville. Of course Tennessee isnt going to be happy with him. But Vols fans need to face the facts of what they really are. They are currently a second tier SEC program, and nothing more than that. Dooley will be fine. If anything he will add some class and integrity to a program that sorely needs it, since well, theyve never had any. Good hire for the Vols.
I'm just glad the coaching search is over. Time to try to salvage some sort of a recruiting class and get the staff finalized. After hearing Coach Dooley speak, it's obvious that he is the anti-Ki**in. Mainly and most importantly, he's from the South and has respect for the greatest conference in America and its coaches and he's going to do everything with class and integrity and will have more respect for the University of Tennessee. Sure, we won't have the rock star staff and all the funny soundbites from press conferences, but this is the type of guy UT needed all along. Is he "the guy?" I don't know, but I'm very excited to see how everything comes together and to eventually see the product on the field.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Give the guy time and a decent chance. He's a smart guy (has a law degree). He has a good pedigree. His dad was Vince Dooley, a legend in the SEC at Georgia for 25 years, and won the 1980 national championship. He spent 7 years under Nick Saban at LSU and with the Dolphins. He took over a struggling program and didnt do a bad job there. I think Derek Dooley will do just fine in Knoxville. Of course Tennessee isnt going to be happy with him. But Vols fans need to face the facts of what they really are. They are currently a second tier SEC program, and nothing more than that. Dooley will be fine. If anything he will add some class and integrity to a program that sorely needs it, since well, theyve never had any. Good hire for the Vols.

Is he going to be the Coach or the guy that fights to keep them from going under after the NCAA comes in.....
Stardust Wrote:Is he going to be the Coach or the guy that fights to keep them from going under after the NCAA comes in.....
Ah, the administration's just trying to save a little money. Hire one guy that will work two full time jobs. Not a bad hire. Good bang for the buck anyways Big Grin
Ummm.....never heard of this guy before and It's deffinetly not who Vol fans were looking for to come to Tennessee. The people that I know who are Vols fans deffinetly do approve of this choice but they're going to have to deal with it. I honestly believe that this will be the downfall of the Volunteers, they future is not bright at all. I wish good luck to the new coach but it's gonna be a few years before Tennessee gets back to where they're used to being at. IMO they're probably going to be a SEC "cellar dwellar" like Vanderbilt for the next year or two!
I dont want to knock on any one's stature but IMO this hire happened because after Muschamp said NO they went after one of their own in Cuttcliffe and that failed, I mean the guy chose to stay at Duke then comeback to Knoxville so that should show people that the glory days in Knoxvegas are OVER......this hire reminds me a lot of UK's hiring of Gillespie Izzo wasn't interested, Donavon said no, Rick Barnes had no interest so UK hired a Mediocre coach.Dooley will not last 3 seasons in Knoxville if that long...
It's all about the staff Dooley brings in now. Kippy Brown left for the Seahawks. The OL coach and QB coach were either not retained or left on their own. It hasn't been announced yet what the reasoning was. The QB coach was the brother-in-law of the other coach that left for USC and the OL coach was with him at the Raiders, so I don't think it should be much of a shock that those two guys won't be there.
IMO this is like UK hiring Billy Gilispie. Now Im not saying that I didnt think Billy G was a bad guy I just don't think he was the right fit. Its like wipeing before you poop it don't make any sense.
Well UK fans it looks like the streak is over. Congradulations on ending the streak next year, maybe if Urban takes the year off you can get out of the top 2 spots on longest losing streak to an opponent. Worst hire in major college football probably since Bill Callahan at Nebraska. I hate to see a school rush to hire and pass on candidates that could have done a much better job. Leach would have been exciting and added that extra intrigue to the UK/UT rivalry. Good job Tennessee welcome to the bottom of the SEC.
BigBlueBobcatFan Wrote:I dont want to knock on any one's stature but IMO this hire happened because after Muschamp said NO they went after one of their own in Cuttcliffe and that failed, I mean the guy chose to stay at Duke then comeback to Knoxville so that should show people that the glory days in Knoxvegas are OVER......this hire reminds me a lot of UK's hiring of Gillespie Izzo wasn't interested, Donavon said no, Rick Barnes had no interest so UK hired a Mediocre coach.Dooley will not last 3 seasons in Knoxville if that long...
He had interest, he just didn't want to be anyone's second choice. He said that in an interview about the job.
He has the pedigree that you need. He has worked under Saban which will help. Not a Tennessee fan, but, he could turn out to be a very good hire.
This could not be a good situation for the Vols either way you look at it. If Dooley comes in and does terrible, the fans will be calling for his head before the season is over. If he comes in and does great but UGA has another lack luster year, You know the fans in Georgia would be screaming for Richts head because theyd want Vince Dooleys son to coach them and IMO hed go there. Then the Vols would be right back to sqaure 1.
The staff is coming together. Dooley has brought in Charlie Baggett from the NFL. Eric Russell from Texas Tech, who is known as a great special teams coach, which we need badly. Chaney, Thompson, and Garza are staying. And the word is that Kevin Steele will be leaving Clemson and returning to UT as defensive coordinator.
Time will tell...I am concerned about the quick hire. Sounds like UK when they hired Gillespie
Disregard the Kevin Steele idea for now. It appears that the news on that was a bit premature and he may be staying at Clemson. Nonetheless, still a good start for Dooley's staff.

On a side note, from all the rumors flying around, its possible that Lane Kiffin might have been our Gillispie. His off-the-field activities are now being questioned. Lots of stuff going around out there.
Captain Backdoor Wrote:IMO this is like UK hiring Billy Gilispie. Now Im not saying that I didnt think Billy G was a bad guy I just don't think he was the right fit. Its like wipeing before you poop it don't make any sense.

Lay off the Larry of the Cable Guy CD's. :Thumbs:
MiddlesboroAlumni Wrote:Lay off the Larry of the Cable Guy CD's. :Thumbs:

Great analogy isn't it?