Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Pike County Champions -Anyone have a history?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was wondering if anyone had a history of who has won the Pike County Championship?

I know the 80's and 90's was dominated by Virgie and Coach Newsome was there for a long time but do not know exact dates or who the coaches was during that entire time.

I know Varney(Hylton???), South Williamson(Paul Thomson??), and Turkey Creek(Keith May???) from the Belfry area won some at one time or another in the 80's and 90's and Pikeville has won a few here recently(Garrison and Rowe), as well as Dorton(Davis?)

Anyone have dates on those or coaches?
This is what I rember:

94 Virgie. Jimmy Jarrell
95 Varney.
96 Elkhorn City
97 Dorton. Ronnie Johnson (Davis asst coach)
98 Virgie Doe Doe Rowe

I know Dorton was in the finals every year during that time.
We were the last team from Dorton to win the county.
Sorry about the typo ( remember)

I am clueless on the other coaches.
Last year was Belfry, the two years before that was Pikeville. Before that you can pretty much guess Virgie for every 2 out of 3 years going back for about 10 years.
It's hard to remember a lot of this information, but I'm pretty sure most of these are right. I am not 100% sure on 99-00 (Turkey Creek or Virgie) and 00-01 (Pikeville, Virgie, or Turkey Creek).

98-99 Champion--Virgie Runner Up--Dorton
99-00 Champion--? Runner Up--?
00-01 Champion--Pikeville? Runner Up--Virgie?
01-02 Champion--Virgie Runner Up--Turkey Creek?
02-03 Champion--Virgie Runner Up--Dorton
03-04 Champion--Virgie Runner Up--Dorton
04-05 Champion--Virgie Runner Up--Dorton
05-06 Champion--Virgie Runner Up--Pikeville
06-07 Champion--Pikeville Runner Up--Belfry
07-08 Champion--Pikeville Runner Up--Dorton
08-09 Champion--Belfry Runner Up--Virgie
91-92 Champion--Turkey Creek Runner Up--Pikeville
92-93 Champion--Virgie Runner Up--???
Turkey Creek also won one in 99-00 or 00-01 and Johns Creek was Runner Up, I think.
NEXT Wrote:91-92 Champion--Turkey Creek Runner Up--Pikeville
92-93 Champion--Virgie Runner Up--???
Turkey Creek also won one in 99-00 or 00-01 and Johns Creek was Runner Up, I think.

I'm thinking that was 99-00. Wasn't Kelsey Friend (Pikeville) and Seth Kiser (Virgie) in 00-01?
Year Champion Runner-up
88-89 Dorton 47 Varney 46
89-90 Pikeville 68 Dorton 31
90-91 Virgie Mullins
91-92 Turkey Creek Pikeville
92-93 Virgie(I think) ???
93-94 Virgie 57 Dorton 37

1989 Was Dorton's first ever County Championship. They never led in that game with time on the clock, Jeremy Johnson was fouled as time expired and hit the first free throw to win the game.
1991 Virgie team finished the season undefeated. This team was IMO the best ever team to play in Pike County.
1992 Turkey Creek team finished the season undefeated. Really knew how to run the floor and pressed for 24 minutes, they were really good also.

I have the scorebooks for Dorton from these seasons if anyone wants addittional stats.
Virgie beat Varney in the 92-93 championship at belfry!!!
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:I'm thinking that was 99-00. Wasn't Kelsey Friend (Pikeville) and Seth Kiser (Virgie) in 00-01?

You are correct.

99-00 Champion--Turkey Creek Runner Up--Johns Creek

I was lucky enough to play for Coach May on the 92' team and he was the person who got me into coaching in 98'-99' and 99'-00' @ Turkey Creek.
Updated with what we know -

88-89 Champion--Dorton 47 Varney 46
89-90 Champion--Pikeville 68 Dorton 31
90-91 Champion--Virgie Mullins
91-92 Champion--Turkey Creek Pikeville
92-93 Champion--Virgie(I think) ???
93-94 Champion--Virgie 57 Dorton 37
94-95 Champion--Varney.
95-96 Champion--Elkhorn City
96-97 Champion--Dorton. Ronnie Johnson (Davis asst coach)
97-98 Champion--Virgie Runner Up--Dorton

This is a good idea, we should all ask around and get as much info on this as possible.
My Dad(Jimmy Jarrell) coached Virgie Jr. High from 1975-1994, I have checked with him and he is going to see if he saved his scorebooks from those years, he thinks he still has them. In Virgie's gym is their championship history on banners. I know that Virgie beat South Williamson in 75-76 and they were undefeated. Pikeville won the 76-77. I don't remember who the runners-up were.
trufan Wrote:My Dad(Jimmy Jarrell) coached Virgie Jr. High from 1975-1994, I have checked with him and he is going to see if he saved his scorebooks from those years, he thinks he still has them. In Virgie's gym is their championship history on banners. I know that Virgie beat South Williamson in 75-76 and they were undefeated. Pikeville won the 76-77. I don't remember who the runners-up were.

My Dad coached at South Williamson with Paul Thomas and with his brothers in the 70's and 80's and my uncles also coached at Turkey Creek.

I have calls into all of them to see what they remember, but sadly a lot of their stuff was lost in the 1977 Flood.
NEXT Wrote:Updated with what we know -

94-95 Champion--Varney.

This is a good idea, we should all ask around and get as much info on this as possible.

98-99 Virgie was the champion and Dorton was runner-up.
Who did Turkey Creek and Varney consolidate into?
bball_fan Wrote:Who did Turkey Creek and Varney consolidate into?

Belfry
phelps won in 84 and 86 beating pikeville both times
NEXT Wrote:Updated with what we know -

94-95 Champion--Varney.

I know Varney won 86-87 and 87-88. I believe they also won in 85-86. I do not remember who was runner-up.
common sense Wrote:I know Varney won 86-87 and 87-88. I believe they also won in 85-86. I do not remember who was runner-up.
i would say that varney did win in 86-87 and 87-88.i think that would have been when j.j. played there.but, phelps won it in 85-86.we beat south williamson then johns creek and then pikeville for the championship.
In 81-82 Varney beat South Williamson for the title.
throw deep Wrote:In 81-82 Varney beat South Williamson for the title.

Varney won 3 in a row during that time. I'm not for sure if that was the first,last,or middle. That was the Michael Hilton years
In the past decade, how many schools that had a middle school basketball team have they been?
1974 - Pike County Championship Game - Johns Creek 74 Feds Creek 73. Played at Johns Creek Gym. Highest scoring and exciting game I've ever seen at this level.
I know the Varney Jets won the 81 and 82 title because I was on those teams, we lost to Virgie in 83 in the finals over there, they had Doe Doe and big Shannon Elswick. I played in 3 title games for Varney and lost 1. Varney also should have won it in 80 but was upset by South Williamson in the area. Varney also won it around 78 or 79 they upset Mark Cline and South Williamson. Not to mention my brother won 2 titles for the Jets 86 and 87 not losing a game. I can go on and on about the Varney Jets.
1981 -82 S. Williamson- Varney was my 7th grade year and they had beaten us 3 times that year including the area championship game not a week earlier. We actually beat a very good Mullins team the game before, they were picked to win it.
FedsCreek_Freak_55 Wrote:1974 - Pike County Championship Game - Johns Creek 74 Feds Creek 73. Played at Johns Creek Gym. Highest scoring and exciting game I've ever seen at this level.

I might be forgetting or missing something here but. Feds Creek was a high school in 1974. At that time wasnt there 2 feeder school that had basketball teams?
Let's all find the retired coaches in our areas and ask them who won and who were some of the top players and take this back as far as we can.
I also think it would be a good idea to compile the facts and get pictures and print a small program with this information for the 2011 tournament. I am sure that coaches as far back as the 60's.70's, and beyond may have their old scorebooks.
common sense Wrote:Varney won 3 in a row during that time. I'm not for sure if that was the first,last,or middle. That was the Michael Hilton years

Yep I know Varney won my 7th and 8th grade years whick were 1981 and 1982. We beat SW in '82 and I would have to do a little research on who we beat in '81. Howard Hatfield was our coach. Mike Hylton was a heck of a grade school and high school player who got overshadowed by little brother J.J. a few years later.
pirate4287 Wrote:1981 -82 S. Williamson- Varney was my 7th grade year and they had beaten us 3 times that year including the area championship game not a week earlier. We actually beat a very good Mullins team the game before, they were picked to win it.

If I am not mistaken, our path that year was Elkhorn City, Mullins, and SW. SW had owned us that year as you said, but we beat them, I believe, 32-26, over at Phelps. SW could not buy a bucket in the second half. They had a dandy team with Bruce Johnson, Mern Gilliam and Marty Williams. Did Todd "Tick" Cline play for them also?
I know that Virgie has dominated this county almost every decade, but Im going to say that the Varney Jets had to take the 80s. I know they won in 81 aganist Dorton at Belfry(undefeated), 82 aganist South Williamson at Phelps, lost in 83 to Virgie at Virgie in ot, 86 they beat Robinson Creek at Virgie (undefeated), 87 they beat Blackberry at Pikeville ( undefeated).The coaches were Howard Hatfield in 81 and 82, Coach Hatfield also won the county for Varney in 77 in a huge upset aganist South Willamson and the great Mark Cline. The 86 and 87 teams were coached by my dad and uncle, Johnny and Estil Hylton. Estil also won another county title for Varney in the mid 90s.
Pages: 1 2