Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: ESPN Reports: Lane Kiffin to USC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
WOw just wow...thought?
Im completely shocked, I never expected Kiffin to even be mentioned as a candidate for the job.

I wonder who UT will go after?
I like the hire. I think the Kiffin's will do well there
Tennessee's Lane Kiffin has agreed in principle to become the next head coach at Southern California, sources close to the situation told ESPN.com's Chris Low on Tuesday.

Kiffin would replace Pete Carroll, who jumped to the NFL as coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

Kiffin, the former Oakland Raiders coach, led the Volunteers for only one season.

Sources told ESPN Kiffin will bring his father and defensive coordinator, Monte Kiffin, and assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron to Southern Cal with him, and wide receivers coach Kippy Brown will be named interim head coach at Tennessee.

Kiffin has been on the move of late. He was 7-5 in his one season at Tennessee and 5-15 in one-plus seasons with the Raiders before being fired in September 2008.

He was a member of the USC coaching staff from 2001-06.

Several presumptive candidates to replace Carroll had dropped out of the running in the 24 hours after Carroll officially announced his resignation.
Former USC linebacker Jack Del Rio committed to staying in Jacksonville on Tuesday, while Jeff Fisher and Mike Riley showed no public interest despite their Trojans ties.

The looming shadow of NCAA sanctions likely worried some coaches, but it can't change the fact USC offers an extremely attractive position with everything necessary to succeed right away: a rich local talent base, ample talent already on hand, a glowing history and a large, wealthy alumni base eager to keep winning.

Quarterback Matt Barkley has said that he is staying at Southern Cal despite the departures of the three coaches to which he was closest: Carroll, Jeremy Bates and Steve Sarkisian.

"It's just a great place to be, and a great place to live," he said. "We've got everything going for us."

Athletic director Mike Garrett was thought to be in charge of the search, but the elusive former Heisman Trophy winner has barely spoken in public for months, shying away from any chance of getting trapped into talking about the NCAA's various investigations into his beleaguered department.

Tailback Allen Bradford and Barkley were among the leaders who called a team meeting before the offseason conditioning program began Tuesday, while receiver Brice Butler and Barkley planned to call all of USC's prospective recruits to urge them to stick with the Trojans.

"I would just tell them what my dad told me: 'Don't commit because of a coach, because that can change,'" said Butler, who came to USC from Georgia. "You've got to commit because of a program, and this is USC."

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nc...id=4820737
well lets be honest kiffin made no friends in the sec. i personally am glad he is gone. i am sure UT fans may not be.
I got a funny feeling Mike Leach is gonna be dressed in that hideous orange next season..
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I got a funny feeling Mike Leach is gonna be dressed in that hideous orange next season..

Kentucky doesn't want to see any more of him!
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I got a funny feeling Mike Leach is gonna be dressed in that hideous orange next season..

Would not be surprised.
Good lord: Yes, this is significant news, but ESPN is making this sound like the 2nd coming of Messiah.

They spent virtually all the UK/Florida pregame talking about it. Ever since the game started, they have spent several minutes talking about it. Each timeout, they keep showing "Breaking News" reports! Give it a break!
Kiffin Leaving.....Multiple Player Arrests.....Rocky Top Is Crumbling Down!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA I Love It!!!!! The only thing that would make this better would be Pat Summitt getting arrested on rape charges and Phillip Fulmer was her accuser LOL!!!
Even bigger to me than the signing of the Kiffins is the signing of Norm Chow, the offensive coordinator at UCLA. Norm is the most creative OC in football. I can't imagine what he will do with Pro-style athletes
Stardust Wrote:Even bigger to me than the signing of the Kiffins is the signing of Norm Chow, the offensive coordinator at UCLA. Norm is the most creative OC in football. I can't imagine what he will do with Pro-style athletes

That is a three-headed monster!

Lane's charisma and recruiting. Norm Chow's offensive and Monte's defensive genious. USC wont skip a beat.
If UT were smart:
1. Harbaugh-Stanford
2. Sarkisian- Washington
3. Patterson- TCU

John Gruden is a buzzword name but the second a NFL team courts him he will leave faster than Kiffin.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If UT were smart:
1. Harbaugh-Stanford
2. Sarkisian- Washington
3. Patterson- TCU

John Gruden is a buzzword name but the second a NFL team courts him he will leave faster than Kiffin.

Better programs than UT have tried to lure Harbaugh away, I don't see that happening. Sarkisian would make sense. But I really like the Patterson idea.
My take is Kiffin will be there when the walls come crumbling down and the NCAA finally does justice and hands out the death penalty to USC..
Once probation is over they will hire a new and better head coach.
Amun-Ra Wrote:My take is Kiffin will be there when the walls come crumbling down and the NCAA finally does justice and hands out the death penalty to USC..
Once probation is over they will hire a new and better head coach.

He knows going in that USC is likley to get hammered, but he has already assembled the best coaching staff in college Football. USC could be the only team on Probation to go undfeated. I can't wait for the arguments that will go on with everyone trying to determine if an undefeated USC team on probation would be better than the one team loss national Champion. I'd love to see it. AP can vote for anyone to be their champ. I'm possitive they could vote a USC champion. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Their may be a better head coach, but not better assistants. He has assembled a group that may even make USC better then they were under Carroll.
Stardust Wrote:He knows going in that USC is likley to get hammered, but he has already assembled the best coaching staff in college Football. USC could be the only team on Probation to go undfeated. I can't wait for the arguments that will go on with everyone trying to determine if an undefeated USC team on probation would be better than the one team loss national Champion. I'd love to see it. AP can vote for anyone to be their champ. I'm possitive they could vote a USC champion. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Their may be a better head coach, but not better assistants. He has assembled a group that may even make USC better then they were under Carroll.
I almost want this to happen because if a team on probation was named the national champ without playing in the BCS title game, then a playoff system would def be implemented. I mean it would have to be.
Amun-Ra Wrote:I almost want this to happen because if a team on probation was named the national champ without playing in the BCS title game, then a playoff system would def be implemented. I mean it would have to be.

Amen Brother - You are dead-on, this could be the best thing to happen, well, ever since USC went on probation:biggrin:
wonder if Channing Fugate will still stay at Tennessee or will he Transfer to another school????
^ may not have a choice in the matter. Kiffin kept the commitment to Channing. The new coach may have no interest.
I think he's overrated as a coach.
This will either be a GREAT hire or a HORRIBLE one. He seems like the make or break type of guy.
He's bringing a staff with him that will be able to save his ***.
Stardust Wrote:Amen Brother - You are dead-on, this could be the best thing to happen, well, ever since USC went on probation:biggrin:

I hate USC. They Cant Go Undefeated While Not On Probation, Let Alone Under Recruiting Probation.
Stardust Wrote:He knows going in that USC is likley to get hammered, but he has already assembled the best coaching staff in college Football. USC could be the only team on Probation to go undfeated. I can't wait for the arguments that will go on with everyone trying to determine if an undefeated USC team on probation would be better than the one team loss national Champion. I'd love to see it. AP can vote for anyone to be their champ. I'm possitive they could vote a USC champion. I can't wait to see how this plays out.

I may be wrong but didn't Auburn go undefeated while on probation under Terry Bowden?
I hope this brings USC down.
Fulmer back to UT?
johnnyt Wrote:well lets be honest kiffin made no friends in the sec. i personally am glad he is gone. i am sure UT fans may not be.
I agree... if you read this article doesn't sound like there will be much love lose from these folks: Weasel
I was really shocked by this, but when you consider the character of Kiffin, I guess I shouldn't be. Sure, I was all aboard the Lane train and fell for his bs, but this guy is absolute trash. As hard as it is to say, it looks like Al Davis was right about the guy. Its too bad Kiffin wasn't set on fire with everything else that was burning outside the building where his office is last night. Even he!! wouldn't be a good place for him to go!
Westside Wrote:I may be wrong but didn't Auburn go undefeated while on probation under Terry Bowden?
Yes they did :biggrin: AAANNNNDDDD..they went undefeated a few years ago, and still didnt play in the national championship game (USC/Oklahoma)..So see? Auburn can go undefeated and still manage to suck:bounce:
Captain Backdoor Wrote:Fulmer back to UT?
Let us hope. Nobody done less with more than Fatboy Fulmer.
Pages: 1 2