Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: NCAA committee: FSU penalties upheld
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The NCAA Division I Infractions Appeals Committee has upheld the decision to penalize Florida State for academic cheating, meaning retired football coach Bobby Bowden's record has been stripped of 14 victories.

The NCAA made the announcement Tuesday but made no mention of Bowden's record.

Bowden coached the Seminoles for the last time in the Konica Minolta Gator Bowl, a 33-21 victory over West Virginia on New Year's Day.

The 80-year-old Bowden would finish with 375 victories in a coaching career that spanned 57 seasons, the last 34 in Tallahassee.
A call to Bowden from ESPN.com was not immediately returned.

Florida State still must certify which games ineligible players competed to determine the number of wins and individual records that will be nullified.

The university, which self-reported the violations to the NCAA, accepted self-imposed penalties including loss of scholarships and player suspensions.

But the NCAA's intent to take away wins and individual records prompted Florida State president T.K. Wetherell to fight that part of the penalty.

"The cooperative efforts of the university clearly did not outweigh the aggravating factors in this case -- the nature, number, scope and seriousness of the violations," the committee said in a statement.

In March 2009, the committee issued an infractions report that included findings of academic fraud affecting more than 60 Florida State student-athletes across 10 sports. The findings included impermissible benefits, unethical conduct by three former academic support services staff members and a failure to monitor by the university.

The sports programs, other than football, involved were men's and women's basketball, men's and women's swimming, men's and women's track, baseball, softball and men's golf.

[ame="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4797662"]Florida State Seminoles penalty upheld; Bowden stripped of 14 wins - ESPN[/ame]
Who is in 3rd place in wins? If Bowden lost 14 wins would this coach move to 2nd or would Bowden still be in 2nd place?
The bigger problem here is Florida State could lose two national championships in track. I guess that is what you get for SELF-REPORTING the violations. Should've just kept it quiet.
Yea, Wonder if USC football program will be penalized for the Bush Issue?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Yea, Wonder if USC football program will be penalized for the Bush Issue?
LOL no.
Panther Thunder Wrote:LOL no.

:Thumbs:
No their football program will not be because their Basketball is taking one for the team with self imposed sanctions this year hoping the NCAA forgets about Reggie Bush at USC...
wow and Bowdens Legacy has been tainted this is not going to end pretty at all
Too bad for Bobby, but whether you know about improprieties or not, they happned under your watch, thus makes you just as guilty? Does everyone agree?

hehe, wonder if anyone knows where I am going with that?????:biggrin:
Stardust Wrote:Too bad for Bobby, but whether you know about improprieties or not, they happned under your watch, thus makes you just as guilty? Does everyone agree?

Should the wins be taken from memphis sure. But is it the coaches fault? No!.
Stardust Wrote:Too bad for Bobby, but whether you know about improprieties or not, they happned under your watch, thus makes you just as guilty? Does everyone agree?

now play nice dusty:devilflam
Panther Thunder Wrote:The bigger problem here is Florida State could lose two national championships in track. I guess that is what you get for SELF-REPORTING the violations. Should've just kept it quiet.

FSU has a track team? :eyeroll:

I am sure that they are great but how many people that don't read Runner's magazine know ANYTHING about their track team?

What will ESPN talk about? Bowden's surrendered victories.
lwc Wrote:FSU has a track team? :eyeroll:

I am sure that they are great but how many people that don't read Runner's magazine know ANYTHING about their track team?

What will ESPN talk about? Bowden's surrendered victories.
That's fine and dandy for you maybe. But as a fan of all programs produced by Florida State University the track championships are a bigger deal to me. FSU had a run of 3 straight national championships. Football CB, Michael Ray Garvin was a member of that team.

Bowden getting the wins taking from him means nothing, unless JoePa dies and Bowden goes to Coach at UAB. He is still in 2nd place and no current coach is remotely close to him. So, him losing these wins means nothing. He was 2nd before, he is 2nd now.
I hate that for Bobby Bowden.
this was no doubt a wrong decision by the ncaa and they need to be worried about the southern california football program and tennessee rather that messing with the greatest coach in the last few decades.