Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: (3) Kentucky 86 - Long Beach State 73
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is what I posted in the prediction thread:

Originally Posted by Stardust
I agree with the above posts that UK wins by 20+, but this is likely to be another of those games that for the first 30+ minutes of the game, the lead will run back and forth from a double digit lead to single digit.

UK comes in as a significant favorite, which they have shown a propencity to play down or with a lack of focus in these types of games. Following the popmp and circumstance from Monday night, it's a natural letdown. These are not professionals, they are 18 and 19 year-old kids for the most part. The ability to handle the emotional consistency is still years away. I will guarentee you that LBS is more up for the challenge, than UK is looking towards a match-up with an inferior team before the holidays. For UK, this is a game on their schedule, for LBS, this is an NCAA Bracket Buster game that means a tremendous opportunity for them to get much needed support come March. Let's face it, UK was up for Drexal not because they were up for the challenge of Drexal, will they have the same urgency to want this game as much. This game may well push the Cats until they need to wake themselves and run away with it down the stretch.

Pretty much the way this panned out as the Cats had a three point lead with 11:00 minutes to go before the defense picked up and took the game away. Very laze defense allowed LBS too many open looks from threes and cause non-sensical fouls that kept 4 starters out for much of the first half.
Cats Stats:

Scoring: Wall 19, Patterson & Cousins 15

Rebounds: Patterson 11, Cousins 10

Steals: Wall 4

Assists: Bledsoe 5

Liggins got at least 15 minutes of playing time

Cats were 6/19 from three point will LBS shot 8/18
Well aren't you just a know-it-all Stardust? :biggrin:

Just kidding my friend. It panned out just as you said it would.

John Wall only playing eight minutes and Cousins only playing two minutes in the first half was the primary reason it was tied at halftime. UK simply needs these two on the floor for more time than that to play their best basketball. I really think DeMarcus Cousins energy fueled this Kentucky team in the second half; he played very well. John Wall was John Wall and Patterson was Patterson. Overall, a win is a win and UK is now 13-0.

Go Wildcats!
This game went as expected.. I'm just glad we didn't have a let down after monday night.
Good win for the Cats
A Win in a win.
Long Beach is a decent team. I think fatigue was a big factor for them. UK has to shoot the ball better than that.
Pretty much went as expected. UK played down to their competition which was actually against a better than normal LBSU team! Good game Cats, just glad that we didn't let this one get away from us!
Go cats it dont matter whether you win by 30 or 5 a win is a win and thats all that matters
Win number 2001 and 13th for season without a loss.Next up for the Cats 12/29/09 is Hartford.I think this is the first meeting between these two teams.GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rocky Top Wrote:Win number 2001 and 13th for season without a loss.Next up for the Cats 12/29/09 is Hartford.I think this is the first meeting between these two teams.GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be attending this game, Got the Girl Friend tickets for this game. you all look for me. I'll be bout 5 or 6 rows back with a big sign held up saying I LOVE DUKE or Billy Gisespi (sp) ... (on other held. better not, if I wanna keep all my teeth lol...)

Congrats to the Cats!!
NYY10 Wrote:I'll be attending this game, Got the Girl Friend tickets for this game. you all look for me. I'll be bout 5 or 6 rows back with a big sign held up saying I LOVE DUKE or Billy Gisespi (sp) ... (on other held. better not, if I wanna keep all my teeth lol...)

Congrats to the Cats!!

:ChairHit:
Wildcatk23 Wrote::ChairHit:

That is so funny.:lmao:
Stardust Wrote:Cats Stats:

Scoring: Wall 19, Patterson & Cousins 15

Rebounds: Patterson 11, Cousins 10

Steals: Wall 4

Assists: Bledsoe 5

Liggins got at least 15 minutes of playing time

Cats were 6/19 from three point will LBS shot 8/18

Cousins only played 13 minutes too. If he could start playing like 25 to 30 a game we would be a **** of alot better then we are now.
Why did Boogie get a T? I'm in Ohio and couldn't stream the game at the time.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Why did Boogie get a T? I'm in Ohio and couldn't stream the game at the time.

Because, he can't control himself, and has to be a thug everytime something doesn't go his way. I swear he ****es me off more than anyone. And if he pulls another stunt knocking Patterson away when Patrick comes over to calm him down, I would sit him on the bench until he can grow up. Patterson is the team captain, and he should listen to whatever he tells him. This team is too cocky, and it might be a good thing to take a loss, or else the big heads are going to kill themselves come March. They think they are alot better than they are.
If Wall, Patterson, and Cousins don't get 2 quick fouls and sit the 1st half, UK blows this one out. But our main go-to player like Wall, Patterson, and Cousins finally got things going midway through the 2nd half and we pulled away. LBSU had a scrappy team that give our backups a run for their money. Was impressed with the solid 7 minutes Harrellson put in today. I know coach Cal said that they players where ready to get ball off their mind and get back home for the Holidays, so he kinda felt the same way by saying that he expected the game to be sluggish and he just wanted to get a victory and move on, understanding that the larger battles lie ahead.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Why did Boogie get a T? I'm in Ohio and couldn't stream the game at the time.

I don't follow KY bball enough to know these nicknames... im guessing its Cousins or Cal?.. Whos boogie lol?
^Cousins.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:If Wall, Patterson, and Cousins don't get 2 quick fouls and sit the 1st half, UK blows this one out. But our main go-to player like Wall, Patterson, and Cousins finally got things going midway through the 2nd half and we pulled away. LBSU had a scrappy team that give our backups a run for their money. Was impressed with the solid 7 minutes Harrellson put in today. I know coach Cal said that they players where ready to get ball off their mind and get back home for the Holidays, so he kinda felt the same way by saying that he expected the game to be sluggish and he just wanted to get a victory and move on, understanding that the larger battles lie ahead.

That is easy to say, but I disagree. The reason for the fouls:

"Rasheed" Cousins - gets a T and Personal on the same play because of his head.

Wall - two reach-in fouls

PPat - reach in and blocking.

In each of those instances, it's not playing smart, it's playing lazy. All of the above could have been avoided with the proper effort. Cal even addressed this in his postgame. So I would disagree with your comment that had they been on the floor the outcome would have been different. The outcome would have been different if the effort was there from the beginning. Patterson didn't come out until close to the end of the half. Wall was in for 10 minutes of the half. But none of them were in it from a mental standpoint.