Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Has taking the coaching job at UK....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Possibly ruined the career of Billy Clyde?? I mean most the uk job usually puts people in a better position to further their careers. But ol bcg is sol if ya ask me..

Thoughts??
I'd say it has. But I think he will be okay, Bud Light should be calling him up for a commercial soon.
Quite possibly has. He certainly
Yeah his coaching career is pretty much over with! If he does try to coach again i think it will be for a Division II team or lower! There might be a small possibility that one of these fairly unknown desperate Division I teams might hire him but i doubt it!
A few things to say here:

1) In response to your question CTD, no taking the UK job was a huge move up for BCG and a move nearly anyone would have made. However, it was not the taking of the UK job that cost him his career, it was the losing of the UK job that has ruined him. Also, the way in which he lost it and the events that transpired afterwards.

2) I will argue your point that you say taking the UK job puts people in a better position to further their careers. I disagree with that. Here's why:

Once you get the UK job where else can you possibly go? Would you ever find a better program to work at? I say no. You can move laterally to another great program such as UNC or UCLA, but you cannot get any higher up than UK. There is no better job, so how can anyone ever make a move FROM UK that would be better? Any move a coach takes after leaving UK will be a step down from the greatest program in college basketball history.

So, to sum it up, once you hit UK, you've got nowhere else to go. You've reached the college basketball Mecca and any move after that will either be lateral or a step down.
I agree with you. But what I was actually think in terms of moving up was the assistants. You know uk always looks good on a resume.

I agree with everything u said too. I just wonder if taking the biggest job of his life was probably a bad decision lol
One of the reasons I'm starting to believe Calipari will retire after UK is that he has coached at the bottom and now he's at the main top(like you all mentioned with BCG, UK is the top), no where better for him to go. I think after his time with UK is through, so will his time with college basketball. So I'm thinking UK could see a nice run with Coach Cal.
No the job at UK did not ruined is career it was the stupidty of his action after him being fired that really hurt him......
PC_You_Know Wrote:One of the reasons I'm starting to believe Calipari will retire after UK is that he has coached at the bottom and now he's at the main top(like you all mentioned with BCG, UK is the top), no where better for him to go. I think after his time with UK is through, so will his time with college basketball. So I'm thinking UK could see a nice run with Coach Cal.
Cal has already said he will be retiring after UK. He said he wouldn't be coaching at 60 years old. He will be 51 in a couple of months. He has hinted more than once that he will probably quit after his contract is up.
I think Billy G. was in over his head when he took the job, and he pretty much has messed up his coaching career. I would also like to see BG dust himself of get his life back in order as a person, and then he could worry about coaching again but not as of now. I'm not saying this in his defense or do I think he was that good of a coach, he just wasn't the right man for the job at UK, he just couldn't handle the pressure that came along with that kind of job.
I agree, losing the UK job is what got him.

I think he would do great and would love to see him successful at a mid-major school like Creighton or Sienna, schools like that I think would have him. I think if he can take care of his off the court issues he could be a pretty darn good coach.
I think that yes in the long run taking the job ruined BCG's career. It gave him a much bigger, brighter spotlight to show what an idiot he is off the court. He had a great gig at A & M and had he stayed there he would still be coaching a top 25 program.
Brooks4Prez Wrote:I think that yes in the long run taking the job ruined BCG's career. It gave him a much bigger, brighter spotlight to show what an idiot he is off the court. He had a great gig at A & M and had he stayed there he would still be coaching a top 25 program.

That's pretty much what i was trying to get at. He had a good deal at A&M. I bet he regrets leaving it now. Cause like someone said earlier, the UK job really showed what an idiot he can be.
NO
I would say NO, BCG will end up coaching again as an ASST. Coach in major college once again, just don't know when
Billy Gs Drinking problem ruined his coaching career. He was an alchoholic before he ever set foot in Lexington so UK had nothing to do with it.
the only higher level that you could say is the NBA and really I would much rather coach at UK than any team in the NBA, even Coach Rick Pitino admitted that leaving Kentucky was a mistake.
crazyfan4 Wrote:the only higher level that you could say is the NBA and really I would much rather coach at UK than any team in the NBA, even Coach Rick Pitino admitted that leaving Kentucky was a mistake.

Calipari has already tested those waters with the Nets and obviously didn't enjoy the swim too much.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Billy Gs Drinking problem ruined his coaching career. He was an alchoholic before he ever set foot in Lexington so UK had nothing to do with it.

You are exactly right, his drinking problem will keep him from getting alot of jobs, not his poor showing at UK.