Bluegrassrivals

Full Version: Brian Kelly is new Notre Dame coach
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Future of ND looking bright, maybe for 5 years till he leaves them too.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/bl...aaf,207989
why would he take another job when he has a bowl game???
That was reporting about him going to be named, it is official now, so no, there is not already a thread on it. This is official now. As your post said, neither school confirmed, it has been confirmed by ESPN, so this is a different thread.
why would he take another job when he has a bowl game???
Because he doesn't care about the players, he's looking to better himself. Look what he did to Central Michigan.
"Show me the Money"

I feel bad for the kids of UC. I hate the way the system works, but, that's the system. Hey, UC took Brian Kelly away from Central Michigan while he was under contract. I'm fairly certain UC will look to sign a coach who not only is under contract, but may well have a bowl game themselves. That the way the cookie crumbles.....
He will soon realize that its a big mistake.
BigBlueBobcatFan Wrote:He will soon realize that its a big mistake.

ND is not the same job it was 20 years ago. But Kelly has a drive that is like no other. Bottom-line, a $4M raise will forever not be a "big mistake"!
just saw on ESPN that Kelly will not coach Cincy in All State Sugar Bowl
I liked how he tried to downplay everything tonight on the awards show when he won coach of the year... Then like 10 minutes later its breaking news on the bottom of the screen that he's going to ND. He's a good coach and I totally understand wanting to further his career, but talk about leaving your team out to dry. Gotta feel for the players, who are undoubtedly preparing for one of the biggest games in school history against Florida, then have to deal with this. Thats the business though.
I can understand accepting the Notre Dame job, but not coaching your team in the Allstate Sugar Bowl is a pretty crappy thing of him to do.
ND will be a Championship contender again in about 2 years.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I can understand accepting the Notre Dame job, but not coaching your team in the Allstate Sugar Bowl is a pretty crappy thing of him to do.

Signing day is February 3rd, what are coaches supposed to do? He left CM prior to their bowl game. It's likely whoever UC hires will leave before their bowl game. It's bad for the kids and the fans, but that's the NCAA signing process that is the sham. I'm not sure what coaches are supposed to do under the circumstances. It's just as likely that UC told him to go!
Strikeout King Wrote:why would he take another job when he has a bowl game???

For the $$$$$$$$$$$$$! :popcorn:TongueirateSho
What a 24 hours for Brian Kelly.

From overachieving and often overlooked head coach at UC..............

................ to the anointed Savior of the free world.

You have to love the media's Notre Dame hyperbole.
PC_You_Know Wrote:Because he doesn't care about the players, he's looking to better himself. Look what he did to Central Michigan.

Of course, he's looking to better himself. He didn't abandon his wife and kids he simply took a better job, just like everybody else tries to do. I'm 44 and have had seven jobs in my adult life. Some were good jobs and some not so good. We'll see how things pan out for Kelly. I wish him the best.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:What a 24 hours for Brian Kelly.

From overachieving and often overlooked head coach at UC..............

................ to the anointed Savior of the free world.

You have to love the media's Notre Dame hyperbole.

I am an Irish hater. Always have been. Goes back to my dislike of Kelly Tripucka and everything Green and Gold. Found myself wondering if BK, one who I really respected for what he accomplished at UC, could allow me to let go of the dislike of ND.

Nope, I will still continue to hope they lose every game they ever play in every sport
I hope this works out, but I just don't understand why everyone thinks th ND job is so great, just look at their record over the past ten years and I think you will have to agree that ND is no longer a BCS contender. I am glad to see Kelly leave UC just to get him out of the Big East, because he is killing my mountaineers.
CoachM Wrote:I hope this works out, but I just don't understand why everyone thinks th ND job is so great, just look at their record over the past ten years and I think you will have to agree that ND is no longer a BCS contender. I am glad to see Kelly leave UC just to get him out of the Big East, because he is killing my mountaineers.

LOL - :Clap: :Thumbs:
BloodyHarlanVOL Wrote:I liked how he tried to downplay everything tonight on the awards show when he won coach of the year... Then like 10 minutes later its breaking news on the bottom of the screen that he's going to ND. He's a good coach and I totally understand wanting to further his career, but talk about leaving your team out to dry. Gotta feel for the players, who are undoubtedly preparing for one of the biggest games in school history against Florida, then have to deal with this. Thats the business though.

He has led them to a BCS bowl for two straight seasons...and rankings of #17, 17, and currently 4th in the AP Poll. We're talking about Cincinnati. They should be thankful they had him while they did. The last coach they had bolted for Mich. State and didn't coach in his last bowl game.

I don't think it is selfish to do what is best for your family. With a $4m dollar salary, he's going to have to win big... wouldn't be fair to his new team / employer if he wasn't out recruiting & working for them.
CoachM Wrote:I hope this works out, but I just don't understand why everyone thinks th ND job is so great, just look at their record over the past ten years and I think you will have to agree that ND is no longer a BCS contender. I am glad to see Kelly leave UC just to get him out of the Big East, because he is killing my mountaineers.

Notre Dame is in a slump right now. They aren't the first major player to suffer a slump though. In the past 20 years the following powers have all went through periods of mediocrity and downright "suckiness"; Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC, Nebraska, Miami, Florida State, Penn State, Michigan, and Texas amongst others.

Anyone that thinks the Notre Dame job isn't what it once was must not realize that they now have state of the art facilities, a long proud tradition, a SWEET TV deal, a huge nationwide fan base, the ability to recruit nationally, a reserved spot in a BCS Bowl (if eligible), and lots of $$$$. It may not be the number one job at this point, but it isn't too bad.

For the record, I hate Notre Dame almost as bad as I hate Michigan.
I hope he turns ND around.
BluegrassBuckeye Wrote:Notre Dame is in a slump right now. They aren't the first major player to suffer a slump though. In the past 20 years the following powers have all went through periods of mediocrity and downright "suckiness"; Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State, USC, Nebraska, Miami, Florida State, Penn State, Michigan, and Texas amongst others.

Anyone that thinks the Notre Dame job isn't what it once was must not realize that they now have state of the art facilities, a long proud tradition, a SWEET TV deal, a huge nationwide fan base, the ability to recruit nationally, a reserved spot in a BCS Bowl (if eligible), and lots of $$$$. It may not be the number one job at this point, but it isn't too bad.

GREAT POST!:Thumbs:
For those of you asking why he left now before the bowl. He has to get recuiting started. He has a new job and needs to get the ball rolling. Remember coaching at that level is more of a business than anything else.
Coach Kelly is doing what is best for his family nothing else.
Coaches are hired to be fired, get the large pay checks when you can because you're one losing season away from be THE MAN to the man out the door
Well I said all year that he would be Michigan's next coach, that was if Notre Dame didn't get him. I guess they beat UM to the punch. Kelly will more than likely turn ND around and have success there.
On the other hand, I read on ESPN.com that Skip Holtz could end up at Cincy?? Holtz has done an admirable job at East Carolina the past couple of seasons. I think Kelly will be a good fit for Notre Dame, but I swear, I dont see Notre Dame challenging for titles for awhile. Kelly has awesome drive but he has itchy trigger fingers too. If he takes ND to 10 wins three or four seasons, I dont see him staying there either..He's kind of like a likeable Bobby Petrino. I dont blame him for making this move, with a $4m raise, its hard for anybody to question it. I just think they should have made Urban Meyer an offer he couldnt turn down. I think Kelly was in the catbirds seat in Cincy, but maybe he was looking for a bigger challenge? But in the end its the greenback that does all the talking, and you cant blame a man for that. But if this doesnt work out, and ND comes calling for Nick Saban, Ill blow up that friggin gold dome. Swear it.
Good post TH32
For all those questioning this move by Kelly, he took this job for the same reason Calipari took the Kentucky basketball job. Notre Dame football is the Kentucky basketball. They have the best tradition and a fan base that stretches from every corner of the United States, not to mention the money.

And for those who are doggin him for leavin UC while he was under contract, well that's part of the game. Didn't see anybody doggin Calipari for leavin Memphis, and he was under contract. Let's face it, Cincy wouldn't have a prayer against Florida even if Kelly would have stayed to coach the bowl game.

That fact is, he has to get the recruitin trail on the ball. There are players that were already bein recruited by Notre Dame (#11 recruitin class in the nation as of right now) that he HAS to get into contact with, players that were plannin on goin to Notre Dame because they wanted to play for Charlie Weiss. Now that Weiss is gone, you know there are some that are gonna look elsewhere to play unless he can talk them into comin to play.